Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
By what means
Can I help? I am reasonably proficient within my occupation and have skills that could 'persuade' the useless **** to do the job he's paid to do

Seriously though, yet again I had hoped you were getting somewhere with this problem. Sorry to hear it's happened again.

P xx
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Can I help? I am reasonably proficient within my occupation and have skills that could 'persuade' the useless **** to do the job he's paid to do

Seriously though, yet again I had hoped you were getting somewhere with this problem. Sorry to hear it's happened again.

P xx
We could team up P and perform some interesting surgery on him I'm a bit bored at the moment, so a distraction would be most welcome
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:52 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We could team up P and perform some interesting surgery on him I'm a bit bored at the moment, so a distraction would be most welcome
Together we would be a force to be reckoned with With you leading the way, I reckon we should just go straight to the source of the problem. Forget the guard!
I've also become quite handy with a chainsaw recently (though that was definitely not work related)
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Together we would be a force to be reckoned with With you leading the way, I reckon we should just go straight to the source of the problem. Forget the guard!
I've also become quite handy with a chainsaw recently (though that was definitely not work related)
O err missus . Let's set a date and get to work. I'm toying with the idea of a softly, softly approach. Delicious food and drink laced with sedatives then you come in with the chainsaw and I get at 'em with episiotomy scissors ( always blunt ). Then we can do something creative with sutures.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:19 am
Queen of the Underworld

O err missus . Let's set a date and get to work. I'm toying with the idea of a softly, softly approach. Delicious food and drink laced with sedatives then you come in with the chainsaw and I get at 'em with episiotomy scissors ( always blunt ). Then we can do something creative with sutures.
Ok, I'll bring the chainsaw and maybe some Burdizzos (google it, it's not something you'd have need for).
Ooo creative suturing- yes please!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Very bluddy angry right now.
Useless out of hours guard thinks it acceptable that noise thumps inside our house on a working night.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, I am glad this thread has moved back near the top of the forum.

Since moving to Beach Haven, N. Shore - Auckland, we have never lived anywhere as noisy as we do. We have banging and noise from all directions. Our neighbour on one side has been doing work/maintenance every evening and weekend. The whole house shakes and given the quality of housing in Auckland, it makes it impossible for my partner to sleep after a nightshift (she's a nurse).

In addition, there are several dogs who bark ALL day. I am tempted to setup a microphone and record it to give some of you guys a sample. They bark and bark and bark.

Other people have recently bought into the area (in the past 6-9 months) and are renovating. One couple on the other side are now having their house stripped entirely, new paint job, their back space (not really a garden - too small) is being totally pulled up and being redone.

It is absolute hell, and often enough they keep working till 11pm at night. Really doesn't help with the quality of housing and lack of noise insulation. But you'd also think they'd give a heads up or have some consideration for neighbours. grrr!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise with you over the dogs - that should be reported to Noise Control, and if they do their job, ought to be quickly dealt with. I know people on both sides of that coin who have had to deal with barking dogs - it is something that can/should be managed.

The rest of it, frankly sounds like sour grapes from you.

People are putting their heart and soul into bettering their lot, and their property; and because you resent it, and want to get out of Auckland, NZ etc... you're moaning about it.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I've been downing power tools on my mancave project at 8pm out of respect for my neighbour, 11pm is a little too much I think.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
The rest of it, frankly sounds like sour grapes from you.

People are putting their heart and soul into bettering their lot, and their property; and because you resent it, and want to get out of Auckland, NZ etc... you're moaning about it.
You are probably right, r.e. sour grapes. My above post was to vent some frustration, however its adding fuel to the fire in terms of getting out.

I wish you were correct, most of the properties have been purchased by landlords who are most likely going to be renting them out.

I do think 11pm is late though. Mark - bravo you for stopping around 8pm.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 7:58 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Our old neighbours in London went a bit crazy with their renovation project starting at 7am every day including weekends. They were directly below us and the noise was horrendous. After a week of nonsense I popped down and had a polite word with them and asked if they could start later. They were really apologetic and agreed to start at 8am weekdays and 9am weekends. They even invited us in for a cuppa once they had finished it all. It looked really good!

Any ways my point is that if people are renovating at stupid hours just go and have a word with them. Some people are just a little bit unaware at the best of times and all it takes is a polite "quit it" for them to realize. As for renovations between the hours of say 8am-8pm I would say it's fair game. Anything outside of that have a word.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

isn't there a noise control time where you have to down tools and not use electric appliances?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by davros1984
In addition, there are several dogs who bark ALL day. I am tempted to setup a microphone and record it to give some of you guys a sample. They bark and bark and bark.
Originally Posted by bearskin
I sympathise with you over the dogs - that should be reported to Noise Control.
Barking dogs:

For this you really should speak with that neighbour first. They may not be aware that the dogs are doing this.

Log the response to you.

After that, if it doesn't stop then you contact your council's Animal Control Dog Warden. They are trained and dedicated to this problem. Whether it be the dogs are distressed and suffering in some way or the neighbours.

They will go out to the property to check and , if necessary, have a word.

We had a different situation in that the scummy lot next door had a period of letting a pitbull and a pig dog run loose. There is no adequate fencing to contain said dogs. This came with the instructions to chew the head of the neighbours (us).
Dog warden was ace and it was sorted very quickly.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by davros1984
Other people have recently bought into the area (in the past 6-9 months) and are renovating. One couple on the other side are now having their house stripped entirely, new paint job, their back space (not really a garden - too small) is being totally pulled up and being redone.

It is absolute hell, and often enough they keep working till 11pm at night.
That is not allowed .

With this, you speak with the owner first. Find out if this is a residential owner on a do-up mission or a commercial operation. Explain your own situation and the shift work.

Log the response.

After that you call Auckland council and ask to speak with noise control, environmental health. They will have the guidelines for the permissible hours under the City Plan. They may choose to try an informal chat for you.
Following that, you call the noise line.

There are rules regarding noise levels, types of noise and hours permissible. ( Although you wouldn't think so from our local noise guard who is a useless , biased, unprofessional , wassock )

Sundays in general, is regarded as a 'quiet' day for instance.

I could not find the definitive hours for the Auckland Town Plan.

For example - here is what Tauranga council states

What hours are acceptable for construction noise?

This varies depending on the length of time for construction and the type of construction. As a general guide construction work can be undertaken seven days per week, as long as the following rules are adhered to:
  • activities which generate minimal noise (e.g steel tying, painting) - any time 24 hours a day
  • loud work noise (e.g. use of noisy machinery, hammering etc) Monday to Friday 7.30am to 8.00pm and Saturday 7.30am - 6.00pm
The City Plan permits louder noise levels from construction work, eg, building/renovations, subdivision development including maintenance and demolition work and road reconstruction.
The use of noisy equipment is permitted between 7.30am and 8.00pm Monday to Friday and between 7.30am and 6.00pm Saturday.
Complaints about construction noise outside these hours will be investigated.
and Wellington

Hours for noisy construction work

These are the times when construction can be carried out in a residential area:
Monday - Friday: 6.30am - 7.30am Quiet preparation work only 7.30am - 6pm 6pm - 8pm Extra work at a reduced noise level Saturday: 7.30am - 6pm Try to plan your noisy work to be least annoying to people living and working close to your work site.
If you want to do construction work outside these hours, you need to apply for an exemption.
When noisy work is not allowed

Noisy construction work is not permitted on Sundays and public holidays.
Have the chat. We should all be entitled to our own quiet time in our own homes and to sleep in our beds at night.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Oopsy, I may have spent the last public holiday cutting up lots of MDF with a skill saw in the garden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.