Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So embarassed about where we live.

Ok thanks Dorothy, will let you know if they do!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously...you need to move!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Seriously...you need to move!
I know but it isn't as easy as that is it. Would you try to sell on a house to someone unaware? I wouldn't. In any case you can't just dump unless you are running very far away. We're not planning to move far away.
Let there be peace first.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

nelson1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey..Im stacey.... lived in NZ 5 1/2 years now live near Mot after leaving chch...I think I know which place your talking about, we went there one day for a coffee (coffee was shite actually) after the aquarium burnt down..im sorry your dealing with such stress, I cant offer much advice but I hope everything will quiten down for you guys! x
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know but it isn't as easy as that is it. Would you try to sell on a house to someone unaware? I wouldn't.
I would, caveat emptor and all that.

If someone isn't smart enough to do the research, and that includes visiting the area at various times of the day/night then it's their own fault.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:29 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

If someone isn't smart enough to do the research, and that includes visiting the area at various times of the day/night then it's their own fault.
Hummm remind me not to buy anything from you.

and Bev - you so deserve much better - you nice person you
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:40 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71

Agree with you!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Hummm remind me not to buy anything from you.
A house is usually the single biggest thing anyone buys in their lives, laying out hundreds of thousands of dollars. You'd be mad not to visit during various times to see what the area is like. Seeing what traffic is like at rush hour, Friday/Sat nights for local bars and antisocial behaviour etc, even to the point of knocking on various neighbours and asking their opinions of the place, researching police complaints/offences etc in the area.

And then when you have a potential buyer would you seriously come out and tell them the neighbours are a problem?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:41 am
`

Agree SR71. We did all that when thinking to buy this house. Trouble was, things changed around us.

This is a small place sr71 . Everyone knows everyone around here .
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/n...baffle-visitor

Not loud enough for some it seems
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:19 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with sr. As long as Bevs isn't out and out lying about noise it's caveat empor. We always did a lot of research before we bought. You never know, there could a person out there who is equally noisy and wants to live somewhere where it isn't an issue...,
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:18 pm
`

Originally Posted by westie123
That Sprig and Fern is new & a house conversion basically . It is smack bang in the middle of residential houses. It came into being with restrictions on it's activities because of where it is.

Obviously that lady hasn't been in Nelson , or perhaps NZ for that matter, for that long. Nelson and surrounding areas has always 'closed down' around 9pm, with the exception of a couple of Fests which may go on an hour later. It's how it's always been. Mostly because there would be no customers after around 9pm This is New Zealand love, is what I would say to her, not the UK. Folks like to be home by 9pm and in their beds undisturbed.

On the other hand Nelson does have several clubs and bars ,all in the one street ,which stay open until 4 am and are well served by the local young'uns. There is even a topless , strip club, type bar.

My council is Tasman not Nelson. The problemo with the pub is that it has previously been a licensed premises ( restaurant) so came with existing rules, if you see what I mean.
Problemo with the neighbours is that they don't give jack poops .

Anyway, we soldier on. Perhaps when I can honestly say that noise is no longer an issue , we may sell.
We have new neighbours on one side of us . A young family . I'm waiting to see how it will be if the pub has one of it's Dub Drum n Bass nights. Although I have to say that the pub has not been a problem of late.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Originally Posted by shirl
It is surely everyone's right to enjoy the peace and quiet of their own property. Can the noise people not do anything at all about it? Do they own the property or is it rented do you know? If rented what about the terms of their tenancy. Just a thought. Hope it settles down soon for you. x
Hi BEV, I really feel it for you and can in some ways appreciate what its like. I live on the North Shore and to be honest its lovely with lovely people, but there is this one neighbour at the back of my property who by the sound of their voices are European who have parties every now and again. The music is deafening and because its so loud they all shout to get heard. My bedroom is at the back and the noise still wakes me up. I haven't spoken to any of the neighbours about it cuz I don't want to be seen as a party pooper, but I am sure they are suffering the same. What gets to me is that they are in their late 40s or even older. I thought only young people did such things and to top it all their younger children who go to my sons school came home last week when the school broke up for Easter with some friends. At first they put on some pop music and before long it was a crowd of young people partying, but the really bad part was that Mum and dad turned up at 12am along with their friends and then it really started to kick off. My daughter is only here for a few months and she was very upset about the noise one night and I explained everything as best I could. But as I say this is only now and again which in some ways is tolerable. Lots of sympathy for you BEV and hope it gets better.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:17 am
`

and you have my sympathy in return. The old 'muvver' who is one of those partying & is in her 70's A neighbour up the road had the old bag banging on her door at 1.30 am one night , drunk as a skunk , not knowing where she was. Police had to sort it out with her equally rat-faced daughters. This was a Wednesday night.

I totally 'get it' about them shouting loudly so they can hear each other.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
and you have my sympathy in return. The old 'muvver' who is one of those partying & is in her 70's A neighbour up the road had the old bag banging on her door at 1.30 am one night , drunk as a skunk , not knowing where she was. Police had to sort it out with her equally rat-faced daughters. This was a Wednesday night.

I totally 'get it' about them shouting loudly so they can hear each other.
What!!! I once worked for an organisation, which supports people with mental health to live in their own home. There was a man that I worked with who had recently been rehoused in Glenfield. What we didn't or couldn't have known at the time was that the next door neighbour held loud parties nearly every night. He viewed the property in the day so he wasn't to know. People who party all night sleep all day. I use to phone the noise control officer to make a complaint on the mans behalf..the noise that he was experiencing was nothing compared to what I have now and do you know they wouldn't even come out to assess the noise as no one else had reported any disturbances. The mans mental health deteriorated to such an extent that he had to be hospitalised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.