Reload this Page >

NZ Scary story - or what ?

NZ Scary story - or what ?

Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:46 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

Originally Posted by PJM
Thanks Linda

I have 2 sisters who will both stay. We have realised that it is not for us but at least we will never wonder what it would have been like. We have tried it and we dont like it.

See ya

PJM
Hi

If you are 2 months into the Pet Passport all your animals have to do is the remaining 4 months. If there are 3 months into then its 3 months. As long as its 6 months it can either be 6 months in NZ or part in part NZ/UK.

Did you get my last pm?

Good luck.

Campbell

If you go to www.*****.co.uk you will find some more people going home who are selling up etc. Might be worth a few pms.

Good luck.

Still loving it!!

xx
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:52 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beam me up Scotty I want to buy a car

Originally Posted by scottish
Hi

Good luck.

Campbell

If you go to www.*****.co.uk you will find some more people going home who are selling up etc. Might be worth a few pms.

Good luck.

Still loving it!!

xx
Hi there Scottish,

THanks for that and yes it is a good idea worth having a look at. We are just waiting for the deal on our house to be bedded down before I book my tickets and then I will give the ***** thing a bash.

Kepp you all posted.

Good luck to those moving your pets and hope it works out for all.

Cheers

Campbell.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:55 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been reading this thread with interest. Im just wondering how much money you all took over from the UK with you when you made the move? How much is a realistic amount?
Old Feb 6th 2005, 10:42 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by lucyb
Ive been reading this thread with interest. Im just wondering how much money you all took over from the UK with you when you made the move? How much is a realistic amount?
We're also interested in this as we're giving serious consideration to moving to NZ, we've discussed emigration for about 6 years (my husband Ali grew up in Oz). We haven't been put off by negative comments on this thread but we're obviously wary as a result. The thing that's finally motivated us is the fact that our son doesn't have a decent school to go to. I'd warn anyone with children moving back to the UK that decent secondary school places (especially in places such as London where we live) are horrendously over-subscribed, e.g. 1,500 children vying for 180 places, with catchment areas that are measured from the centre of the headmaster's desk). The creation of the "Academy", basically a failing school renamed and repackaged by "spin" with a lot of money thrown at it doesn't fill us with hope as it's still the same spitting, swearing future jailbirds that frequent these schools and that's not good enough for our son.

Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:37 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Speaking as a Kiwi who just got back from 16 years in the UK, let me offer the following.

Resentment? Just as bad for Kiwis in the UK.
Racism? Every country has racism. NZ doesn't have race riots though (Bradford, a few years ago).
Cost of living? Swings and roundabouts.
Housing? Yes, many are made of wood. There is a reason for that. Are areas of NZ a bit run down? Sure, but nothing compared to what you will find in Birmingham, Glasgow or Manchester to name a few.
TV? If your life centers around TV, you will be disappointed. Having said that, we have most of what UK TV has.
Central heating? We generally don't need it.
Healthcare? MUCH better in NZ (from personal experience).

I could go on, but it is probably pointless. I was very glad to get back to NZ from the UK. Many come here with completely unreal expectations. It isn't the UK, it isn't really even close. If your family in the UK are a driving force in your life, don't come as you will miss them terribly. If you want a high-flying career, probably best that you stay in the UK. If you want to compare everything from schools to the price of washing up liquid, you will be able to disappoint yourself quite easily. It isn't the UK.

Many come here and never learn how to be New Zealanders. They cling to their "Britishness", and wonder why people become impatient with them, always comparing everything with "back home".

There are trade-offs. My kids find the whole school experience easier here, as they don't get nearly as much of a homework load (at age 8 and 11) as they did in Scotland. Primary education is not as intense here, and that is often misinterpreted as being "worse". It isn't, it is just different. The differences equalise out at secondary school. But you know what is great? I can let my kids walk around the neigbourhood without fearing for their safety. I can let them ride their bicycles around our town, as the streets are wide and the cars are few.

In my town, we have a very high number of immigrants and they have no problems in the schools. Their parents either integrate into NZ life, and are happy, or sit around wishing they had a village pub and a decent curry house - in which case they are probably miserable and will probably go home.

As a Kiwi, I recognise virtually nothing in the first post as being in any way representative of New Zealand. Show me any gas station in the UK where an attendant pumps the gas and cleans your windshield, for example. What that first post contains is a highly skewed view, from someone who clearly didn't get on well here, and probably is quite bitter as a result.

It isn't the UK. Don't expect it to be. We have stuff the UK only dreams about, which is why this forum exists, and why so many Brits are queueing up to come here. Most recognise that the safe, vibrant lifestyle compensates for any lack of sophistication.

If you don't have an open mind - don't come.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

soul222soul is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

[QUOTE=kiwijetpilot]Speaking as a Kiwi who just got back from 16 years in the UK, let me offer the following.

Racism? Every country has racism. NZ doesn't have race riots though (Bradford, a few years ago).
Housing? Yes, many are made of wood. There is a reason for that. Are areas of NZ a bit run down? Sure, but nothing compared to what you will find in Birmingham, Glasgow or Manchester to name a few.
TV? If your life centers around TV, you will be disappointed. Having said that, we have most of what UK TV has.

I could go on, but it is probably pointless. I was very glad to get back to NZ from the UK. Many come here with completely unreal expectations. It isn't the UK, it isn't really even close. If your family in the UK are a driving force in your life, don't come as you will miss them terribly. If you want a high-flying career, probably best that you stay in the UK. If you want to compare everything from schools to the price of washing up liquid, you will be able to disappoint yourself quite easily. It isn't the UK.

Many come here and never learn how to be New Zealanders. They cling to their "Britishness", and wonder why people become impatient with them, always comparing everything with "back home".

There are trade-offs. My kids find the whole school experience easier here, as they don't get nearly as much of a homework load (at age 8 and 11) as they did in Scotland. Primary education is not as intense here, and that is often misinterpreted as being "worse". It isn't, it is just different. The differences equalise out at secondary school. But you know what is great? I can let my kids walk around the neigbourhood without fearing for their safety. I can let them ride their bicycles around our town, as the streets are wide and the cars are few.

In my town, we have a very high number of immigrants and they have no problems in the schools. Their parents either integrate into NZ life, and are happy, or sit around wishing they had a village pub and a decent curry house - in which case they are probably miserable and will probably go home.

As a Kiwi, I recognise virtually nothing in the first post as being in any way representative of New Zealand. Show me any gas station in the UK where an attendant pumps the gas and cleans your windshield, for example. What that first post contains is a highly skewed view, from someone who clearly didn't get on well here, and probably is quite bitter as a result.

It isn't the UK. Don't expect it to be. We have stuff the UK only dreams about, which is why this forum exists, and why so many Brits are queueing up to come here. Most recognise that the safe, vibrant lifestyle compensates for any lack of sophistication.

very good post
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:21 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Well, that to me is a well written post and from the outside (not having been in NZ YET, arriving 28th Feb) seems fair as I do know the UK and relate to a lot of what was written in that respect.

The open space & safety to bring your child up in - for us - PRICELESS. We really are hoping that NZ is what we hear in that respect as we have downloaded lots of images of the stunning country and we are excited about what the country has to offer on that level.

In terms of the job-scene I can only share my experience to-date. As I mentioned on my other thread (re the steps we encounter moving to NZ) I can only say that I am VERY positive. To explain:

I did say that once my tickets are booked I will open the throttle for the job hunt, I did. On the weekend I spent most of behind the screen searching & posting my CV to lots of potential jobs. The number was around 34 positions applied for. Taking into account the time difference (we 11 hours behind) I did my last send/ rcv at around 19.00 Sunday, here and to my surprise some 13 replies. On Monday evening (our time) I received another 8 replies which is 21 replies in total.

My point:
If nothing else the Kiwis that I have experienced in such communications have common decency. Plus, most of the replies were positive (even although I do not have my work permit) so I think that NZ is like anything else in life, your output is directly related to your input.

Some food for thought:
Not to write a book, but, I spent some time as a wee lad in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland and I am certainly not ashamed to say that we experienced real poverty. In the 70s we moved to Dundee in Scotland and lived in a tenement flat and shared an outside toilet.

My point:
This did not crush me, in fact most of my family have gone on to run their own companies and successful too. But in saying that I feel VERY privileged to have experienced the open spaces of the Hebrides of Scotland and not having money made little difference to me then, but boy I lived.

Anyway folks, before I turn this into an epic! Cheers to y’all wherever you are and I hope to be posting some good news back from NZ soon.

Campbell.

PS: Billy Connelly didn’t do too bad either coming from a poor area of Glasgow but he is not ashamed of it.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:27 pm
Damages

Well said kiwijetpilot! But if I may turn the tables on our friends from the Southern Hemisphere, for the last 20 years I have encountered many Australians in the UK with whom I have formed good friendships. However I have found the same behaviour in them, i.e. long lectures about how awful my country is and how much better it is back home. Now while I may agree that the UK has many shortcomings, I don't need to be told by a foreigner, in the same way that New Zealanders don't need Brits bleating on about the things they miss back home in a country in which they are foreigners. It cuts both ways and neither can be excused. It strikes me as really rude to criticise your 'host' to his face. I hope to be able to integrate into NZ society (minus rose tinted glasses) and hope that I am accepted as I am here (being Black British). Incidentally, my apologies for not introducing us. We're the Ramages and we're hoping to emigrate to NZ in the next year or so. My husband Ali is a teacher and we're hoping to go over on the Skilled Migrant Category. We have 2 kids, 6 and 11, the 11-year-old doesn't have a decent secondary school to go to and after 5-6 years of talking about we've finally decided to take the bull by the horns and have a go.

Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:48 pm
Deb+Chris

[QUOTE=soul222soul]
Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Speaking as a Kiwi who just got back from 16 years in the UK, let me offer the following.
May I just ask why you spent 16 years in the UK please?

Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:54 pm
PJM

Can I ask why kiwipilot why he first moved to the UK and if it was so bad why stay for 16yrs. Its a long time to decide its better in NZ.

Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:34 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Aha I see more information is needed! Starting with the last first, as it is an excellent question.

Can I ask why kiwipilot why he first moved to the UK and if it was so bad why stay for 16yrs. Its a long time to decide its better in NZ.
I didn't say the UK was bad, now, did I?

It WASN'T so bad! I enjoyed being there, I met lots of great people, and I had fun.

I appreciated that there are lots of things the UK has that NZ doesn't have, like castles, big cities, some serious history, closeness to Europe, etc. From a career point of view, it was far more challenging - I had sixteen years of airline flying that I could never have had in New Zealand. I didn't moan about not being home, I immersed myself in my new home and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

The main reason we came back, is that we want our kids to grow up in New Zealand, and we needed to make that move before they started secondary school.

However I have found the same behaviour in them, i.e. long lectures about how awful my country is and how much better it is back home.
And doesn't it get really annoying? Of course they were Aussies, so what can you expect... But if you don't do it, people tend to really warm to you. One thing I have noticed since I got back is the ease with which we have formed new relationships with the locals, which was not my experience in most of our UK bases.

Being a black Brit is more likely to make you popular than the other way round, we don't have many over here. There is a serious demand for teachers here too - they advertise for trainee teachers regularly on TV.

The open space & safety to bring your child up in - for us - PRICELESS. We really are hoping that NZ is what we hear in that respect as we have downloaded lots of images of the stunning country and we are excited about what the country has to offer on that level.
Well, NZ and the UK are not dissimilar in terms of area. The UK has over 60 million, we have about 4 million. There is plenty of space.

Case in point: I was travelling along State Highway 1 recently, up near Waiouru, at about 7pm. This the NZ equivalent of the M1, except that it is one lane each way (we don't have motorways). Anyway, to amuse myself, I was counting the number of seconds between oncoming cars. highest I got to was just over three minutes. Three minutes between oncoming cars! Try that on the M1.

New Zealand houses were traditionally built on 1/4 acre sections (plots). There are many, many houses that still have these land areas. We don't cram all the houses together as tends to happen in the UK, and we make them all different. There are no housing "estates" of near identical houses as you get in the UK. Terraced housing is virtually unknown, and semi-detached houses are rare (none in my town).

My house is about 30 miles north of Wellington. Within 2 minutes walking of my front door is the beach, within ten minutes by car is dense bush. There is plenty of room!

If anyone wants to see photos, let me know and I can post lots of them. If you want specific stuff, I may be able to do that too.

open spaces of the Hebrides of Scotland
I spent a few years flying around there, into Stornoway, Benbecula, Tiree and Barra.

You do have the wide open spaces, but not many trees!

Last edited by kiwijetpilot; Feb 15th 2005 at 11:37 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:39 am

Hi there having just returned from living in NZ and moving back to lovely sunny Scotland can I ask, did you not notice a huge difference in the way NZ has changed over the years. Surely its been a shock in some respects... 16 yrs is a long time.

The reason I ask the Kiwis that we are friends with say the country has changed alot in the last 5 years never mind 16 yrs... and is some parts they say def not for the better.

What part of Scotland did you live in??? Out of interest did you loose your Kiwi accent???? One thing that we found in NZ was that no bugger could understand us or want to maybe????
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:08 am
Banned

We lived in Livingston, Gilmerton (Edinburgh), and Scotlandwell (near Kinross, north of Edinburgh).

I kept my accent. The kids were born there, but we are slowly beating the Scottish-ness out of them...

The country has changed, some of it is good and some of it is bad.

Better:

Healthcare
Choice in consumer goods
Choice of utility suppliers
Car prices
Price of petrol
Civic Amenities
Transport infrastructure (airports)
The rise of the cafe
Employment

Worse:

Government
Transport infrastructure (roads)
Bureacracy
Shop hours (I used to spend a lot of time in B&Q after 6pm, try doing that in NZ)
Education (from a qualification perspective)

Other than that, it is pretty much the same old place!

I had a fun time exploring for the first week, and I did notice a lot of changes in Auckland, but not so much in Wellington. One or two new buildings, a few new shop names, but not much else.

Without knowing what your friends found worse, it is hard to comment.

I used to love being in Scotland on a sunny day. However, I don't remember that many of them...!

One major thing I like about being in NZ: I don't have to scrape ice off the car windows in the winter. I seem to remember doing a bit of that in Scotland. I have my ice scraper hung up in my garage over here, and I amuse myself by asking my Kiwi mates what they think it is for. Nobody has guessed right yet...

I miss the B&Q superstore in Dundee, and walking down Princes St, buying pants in the Rohan store, driving home on the M90, and how Loch Leven looked in the winter.

I don't miss all the GATSO cameras, driving on the M74, all the terraced housing in Livingston, the high-rise blocks in Glasgow, or the way the salt on the roads dissolved my cars.

Funny what you remember, isn't it...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:15 am

We lived in Livingston, Gilmerton (Edinburgh), and Scotlandwell (near Kinross, north of Edinburgh).

I kept my accent. The kids were born there, but we are slowly beating the Scottish-ness out of them...

The country has changed, some of it is good and some of it is bad.

Better:

Healthcare
Choice in consumer goods
Choice of utility suppliers
Car prices
Price of petrol
Civic Amenities
Transport infrastructure (airports)
The rise of the cafe
Employment

Worse:

Government
Transport infrastructure (roads)
Bureacracy
Shop hours (I used to spend a lot of time in B&Q after 6pm, try doing that in NZ)
Education (from a qualification perspective)

Other than that, it is pretty much the same old place!

I had a fun time exploring for the first week, and I did notice a lot of changes in Auckland, but not so much in Wellington. One or two new buildings, a few new shop names, but not much else.

Without knowing what your friends found worse, it is hard to comment.

I used to love being in Scotland on a sunny day. However, I don't remember that many of them...!

One major thing I like about being in NZ: I don't have to scrape ice off the car windows in the winter. I seem to remember doing a bit of that in Scotland. I have my ice scraper hung up in my garage over here, and I amuse myself by asking my Kiwi mates what they think it is for. Nobody has guessed right yet...

I miss the B&Q superstore in Dundee, and walking down Princes St, buying pants in the Rohan store, driving home on the M90, and how Loch Leven looked in the winter.

I don't miss all the GATSO cameras, driving on the M74, all the terraced housing in Livingston, the high-rise blocks in Glasgow, or the way the salt on the roads dissolved my cars.

Funny what you remember, isn't it...

LOl.. those speed cameras are a bugger ha ha

Its funny how we see things. We were in the BOP and had to scrape our cars a few times nothing like Scotland mind you and god did we appreciate out woodburner come Winter time.

Loved your comment re choice of goods, christ must of been bad 16 yrs ago if you now think things are better ha ha.

Now let your kids keep their lovely wee accents!!

ps sunny now for 2 weeks, a tad cold but sunny LOL
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:50 pm
Banned

Well 16 years ago, if you wanted a washing machine, you had a choice of Fisher and Paykel Gentle Annie, Fisher and Paykel Gentle Annie deluxe, or a Simpson. Simpsons were not popular though.

They were simpler times...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.