Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Scary story - or what ?

NZ Scary story - or what ?

Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

Sure the wages are crap. But your experiences on the whole don't match our experience of NZ.

We have found it a very nice place to live, with the majority of people also very nice.

I am sure that this won't match with the UK, because there are no rude, anti-social, aggresive people there. All good living, jolly decent people. Do me a favour!!!

I agree, it isn't obvious until you get here the exact disparity between the average salary and goods, but this is practically a 3rd world economy. What do you expect.

NZ is no utopia in any form, but credit where credit is due. I don't have to wait 2 years or so back in the UK to know when I was better off. Looks like a few people have picked up UK rose tinted glasses from somewhere...

Half the time, people leave after a few months of arriving feeling really pissed off. Htf, do you expect to evaluate a situation in that time!

Maybe, you expected the red-carpet-treatment. Maybe you just didn't tell the right people, (eh).

This isn't a dig at anyone, but it does sound rather like everyone having to justify how bad they feel NZ is.

Perhaps you guys should try Paignton or Torquay, I hear the palm trees are nice and I am sure you can get your 'Kiss me Quick', hat... And when you have all had enough, you can all drive home and have a nice cuppa.

WOS
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:14 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Scary story ?

Hi folks,
The tension is building over this topic and I must thank WOS for this post as I am not one to offer any opinion on NZ , YET but I certainly can say that you have pretty much summed-up my experiences of going back to the UK on a look-see to possibly return there. :scared:

I was horrified at the yobs, graffiti etc etc and in 1998 went over with my wife (from SA) and the few times that we went out it was disgusting the amounts of fights in bars etc. Also, could never get used to the mad rush to get pissed before 23.00.

So yes, I had a scary story (stories) of the UK but it is still my home country but I have lived in Africa for over 20 years now so I have kinda changed. For what it is worth I found that I got a lot of sideways looks in Scotland cause I had a bit of a suntan and what they deemed as a foreign accent. I had a great deal of challenges in bars which was most upsetting as it exposed a certain mentality for me that although I was visiting my home town certain elements could not accept that I had moved to another continent to explore my horizons it was taken as, huh, the UK no good enough for you then?

Guess what, I was told in interviews (for sales positions in London !) by senior management that I could not be considered for positions because of my accent as would be taken as a foreigner.

I believe that WOS made a very strong point in that wherever you go it is going to take time to adapt to a foreign country & their cultures etc which should be two years to really weigh things up.

To try to analyze this thread it would seem that the general sore point about NZ is the poor wages and on a positive note this whole discussion has given me a very strong indication of where I need to be setting my sights for NZ in terms of income hence I am going over for a six-week LSD as I do not want to take the first job offer that comes along cause it’s a job.

Most of the folk that have negative expressions on NZ all say they would go back so that speaks for itself for us. In saying that we are in a different situation because we are moving to NZ from SA and there are certain things that we feel (due to our experiences here) are priceless, such as:

• Lower crime rates – by far
• Less violent crimes (murders, rapes etc etc)
• A less corrupt government
• A government that do not have a 2/3 vote & the right to change the constitution
• Less corruption in general as it seems the virus is passed on right down
• Being able to trust someone that you pay to do something (contractor etc)
• Being able to walk somewhere with my wee lad & not have to keep looking over my shoulder
• Dare I say (on this tread) racial tension. Folks, SA takes the gold medal for that I’m afraid.
• A country that’s main language is English (not eleven official like here)
• A more stable economy as we never know what’s going to happen here, Zimbos?
• A first world outlook and not a country that still practices voodoo
• No guns in NZ

I could go on & on, so I hope that you understand that for us and I’m sure a lot of other people that they are not comparing NZ to the UK.

Warm regards to you all.

Campbell.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:53 pm
PJM

Originally Posted by WheelsOfSteel
Sure the wages are crap. But your experiences on the whole don't match our experience of NZ.

We have found it a very nice place to live, with the majority of people also very nice.

I am sure that this won't match with the UK, because there are no rude, anti-social, aggresive people there. All good living, jolly decent people. Do me a favour!!!

I agree, it isn't obvious until you get here the exact disparity between the average salary and goods, but this is practically a 3rd world economy. What do you expect.

NZ is no utopia in any form, but credit where credit is due. I don't have to wait 2 years or so back in the UK to know when I was better off. Looks like a few people have picked up UK rose tinted glasses from somewhere...

Half the time, people leave after a few months of arriving feeling really pissed off. Htf, do you expect to evaluate a situation in that time!

Maybe, you expected the red-carpet-treatment. Maybe you just didn't tell the right people, (eh).

This isn't a dig at anyone, but it does sound rather like everyone having to justify how bad they feel NZ is.

Perhaps you guys should try Paignton or Torquay, I hear the palm trees are nice and I am sure you can get your 'Kiss me Quick', hat... And when you have all had enough, you can all drive home and have a nice cuppa.

WOS
In reply to WOS, Where are you in NZ and are you moving to Germany.

Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PJM
In reply to WOS, Where are you in NZ and are you moving to Germany.
I am on Bank-Peninsula about 40/45 minutes from Christchurch.

Yes, I am moving (temporaily) to Germany to work and enjoy Europe for a while.

WOS
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I had to laugh !!!!

"One thing that makes me laugh is that some people will say that the kiwi's don't wear shoes because they are so easy going and laid back... I would say they're too skint.. I saw people walking in snow with no shoes, that can't be easy going and laid back can it?.. poor things, can't afford them that's why."
Deb+Chris

How much research did you do on NZ prior to coming out here?.... It's a cultural thing !!! Read up on the Treaty of Waitangi.

To all of you who are returning because of of money problems, did you not find out PRIOR to coming to NZ what the wage would be? Didn't you do comparisons with the cost of food etc? How much did you really find out about NZ? Or where you so wrapped up in the whole adventure of it bit?

We made a quick decision in Dec 02 to come out to NZ. We then spent MONTHS, researching costs etc beofere we arrived in July 03, I am truly grateful to those people who posted their living expenses. {Thank you Don Pleasence yours was VERY helpful}.

Those who come here well prepared are those that will make it. Sorry if I sound harsh, but what do you expect? No pain:No gain

And no we didn't come out to NZ loaded, we came from the NE of England.

Gill
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Still haven't stopped laughing about the lack of shoes...... !!!!!

Gill
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:48 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris

Not funny is it? just a bloody joke if you ask me. They have you down on the priority list, get you over, kick you in the bollocks and send you home.
Deb,
Who is "they"? You make out there is some great conspiracy!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 6:44 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

"One thing that makes me laugh is that some people will say that the kiwi's don't wear shoes because they are so easy going and laid back... I would say they're too skint.. I saw people walking in snow with no shoes, that can't be easy going and laid back can it?.. poor things, can't afford them that's why."
Deb+Chris

How much research did you do on NZ prior to coming out here?.... It's a cultural thing !!! Read up on the Treaty of Waitangi.

To all of you who are returning because of of money problems, did you not find out PRIOR to coming to NZ what the wage would be? Didn't you do comparisons with the cost of food etc? How much did you really find out about NZ? Or where you so wrapped up in the whole adventure of it bit?

We made a quick decision in Dec 02 to come out to NZ. We then spent MONTHS, researching costs etc beofere we arrived in July 03, I am truly grateful to those people who posted their living expenses. {Thank you Don Pleasence yours was VERY helpful}.

Those who come here well prepared are those that will make it. Sorry if I sound harsh, but what do you expect? No pain:No gain

Gill
Hi Gill

We done as much research as we could. Friends, internet and spoke to employer weekly via phone prior to leaving. What we were never told was you only get paid for hours that you are earning a $$ for your boss, that dosent inc being in the office, because as far as he is concerned you aint earning him anything. This happened with the 2 employers hubby had in NZ. Also noone warned us of PGDB changing the god damm rules once we arrived so we couldnt afford to sit the new exam format. So pls dont tell me that we never carried out enough research. There are some things that cant be researched and you have to be in NZ to experience it.

I am glad it is working out for you but it dosent work out for some. Thats life.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:29 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Deb+Chris

Gill

Well we did not come out here loaded either and we are from the North East too, Newcastle in fact. We did our research as much as we could. It took almost a year to get our paperwork sorted thanks to the ever changing rules. Now after almost a year here i can honestly say the cost of living has gone way up to a point that we can't live here. People i work with are so skint its not funny. And to top it all our house has not sold so we have to return to sort it out unless we want to loose it. So yes we have gave it our best shot (even after a death in the family) and we were determinded to keep going. But at the end of the day we go now or we can't get back. We did plan for this situation as it happens and the result is we go. We may come back as we like NZ but only if we can afford to. The shippers come tomorrow and we leave on the 9th. As i have said before i will not slag NZ off but just tell the truth as we experienced it.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:32 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PJM
I must be minted 17.00 hr plus 1 dollar for tools. I have tried to get on with my fellow workers but some just don't want to make the effort. Its like banging you're head against the wall, I can sense the resentment. I have 2 sisters who will stay as luckly they have 63000 and 78000 per annum dollar incoms . They still however accept the fact that people are resentful of what they as POMS are able to buy. I think we have all but decided now to return and will have the house valued this week.
It was good to hear that I am not the only one.
Hi there

PJM - out of curiousity what do you do in NZ - per chance a Plumber or Gas Fitter???

Good luck in your move back. Its been the best thing we ever done.

UK - Tauranga - UK - never going back!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:08 pm
PJM

Originally Posted by scottish
Hi there

PJM - out of curiousity what do you do in NZ - per chance a Plumber or Gas Fitter???

Good luck in your move back. Its been the best thing we ever done.

UK - Tauranga - UK - never going back!!!!
Hi Scotish

Yes I am a gas fitter/plumber, I to researched NZ for over 12mths with the help of my sisters who live here. However the hidden costs are to much to allow to live here financially

Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Linda Maxwell will become famous soon enoughLinda Maxwell will become famous soon enough

PJM, we were in Hamilton for 7 years, St Andrews and Beerescourt, where are you.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:46 pm
PJM

Originally Posted by Linda Maxwell
PJM, we were in Hamilton for 7 years, St Andrews and Beerescourt, where are you.
Hi Linda

Where in Hamilton in Flagstaff.

Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Linda Maxwell will become famous soon enoughLinda Maxwell will become famous soon enough

passed through Flagstaff everyday going to work at Gordonton, havent read all the posts, are you heading back to Uk, or are you not totally broke yet?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 6:00 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Lenmil] We may come back as we like NZ but only if we can afford to. QUOTE]

For me that is good enough mate.

This whole thread re the $ thing has really made me aware of the potential disaster over there and so we “hope� to give the job hunt a good tonk and secure a decent wage.

I hope to be off on my six-week discovery trip to NZ in the VERY near future and it is costing a lot of money (as well as time away from the family) but we see it as a BIG investment as we are 100% set on getting to NZ and putting our routes down. As I mentioned previously we really feel that we have got to get out of SA.

It must be very sad & disheartening for you to go back to the UK but I can only offer that you should not see it as failure. Folk who try different things in their lives gain experience/s and these can not be bought. As they say the best university is the school of life so for me it is nice to hear you say (with honesty) that you would go back.

I wish you & your family all the very best mate & hope you do get to give NZ another shot if that is where your heart is.

Cheers for now & hope you keep posting & let us all know how it goes back in the UK.

Campbell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.