How PC is N Zee

Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How PC is N Zee

Originally Posted by willow74
How did you feel when you were called a Pom?

Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure but I feel it's a term of endearment and I'm quite happy to continue in my ignorant bliss.
If I were an Indian or Pakistani I would hate being called a Paki because of all the racist connotations associated with the term. I don't know but merely assume [big mistake!] that Polynesians would feel the same way, if referred to as a Polly by other than their own.

The jokes about winging poms can be quite hilarious, but then the Brits are noted for their ability to laugh at themselves.
Having said that , if some loud mouthed, yobbish Kiwi referred to me as a Pommy Ba*t*rd, I would politely point out that he had insulted my mother as I helped him up off the floor!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
When I first moved here I was quite liberal about the native people of New Zealand. They had chose a non-materialistic existance, didn't understand western values etc. In short I was being naive .

I nearly caught some Maori kid, 12 or so because he was breaking into my car the first month I was here. He could run a bit faster than me though so got away. Fair enough these thing happen etc. may not be cultural. The next morning I woke up to find my car had stones thrown at it.

Got the insurance money, sold the car for scrap and moved to a new house Whitby with propper fences etc. One night I left my car parked on the road for a couple of hours while I went for a cycle to the local supermarket for some milk. Came back and the stereo had been nicked...wouldn't have minded except they also stole my polo mints, I really like polo mints .

Lesson learned, got a new stereo and had a car alarm fitted. Ended up selling the car because it was almost repulsive to me for some irrational reason, like a chicken thats had its eggs touched.

Few months later someone smashed my window helping themselves to my laptop and TV but set off the alarm which the lovely lady next door called in but the police arrived far too late, then when I got home policeman was intent on making in my fault for having "nice things" lying about in my own house . The police caught them days later (Though to be fair it was only one Maori and two Samoans they charged) trying to flog the stuff. Despite having a numerous prevous convictions for theft, assault and DUI they where only asked to do community service .

In short, lock everything no matter where you live. New Zealand seems to suffer quite a lot from petty theft.

I am wondering Charasmatic as a Kiwi of Maori heritage if I should consider your post racist.

just having you on. I am used to it.

But can I tell you my neighbour caught someone in his garden shed the other night. The guy was out of his tree and had done over another neighbours garden shed.

Suprise, suprise, he was pakeha with an accent and a very bad drug problem, so the coppers said.

If you live in the Botany area look out for a druggie with a broad english accent.

That's a true story, but I am only using you as an excuse to make a point.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:01 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: How PC is N Zee

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I am wondering Charasmatic as a Kiwi of Maori heritage if I should consider your post racist.
Please yourself and yes I am a bit.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:07 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying 'yes I am a bit racist'?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:22 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How PC is N Zee

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Are you saying 'yes I am a bit racist'?
Yes, in a way. Much like many people I expect.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:33 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matewx
So,
Would you say NZ is gayfriendly or homophobic?
Would you say NZ is racist generally speaking?

We're gay, one black one white about to immigrate... We're looking at major cities... Auckland, Wellington though!

Thanks!!
I can't speak for other places in NZ but you'll be fine in Auckland and Wellington, they're both gay friendly cities (I am in a same sex relationship myself).

As far as racism, I've heard a lot of stories about it but can't really relate directly (never been the victim of it), however Auckland is extremely multi cultural so it's all good

Jen
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by urbanproject
I can't speak for other places in NZ but you'll be fine in Auckland and Wellington, they're both gay friendly cities (I am in a same sex relationship myself).

As far as racism, I've heard a lot of stories about it but can't really relate directly (never been the victim of it), however Auckland is extremely multi cultural so it's all good

Jen
People always forget the human failing of racism cuts both ways....I remember being surprised in Sydney when Chinese/Asian owned internet cafes refused to download digital photos for us onto a disc..we tried so many in central Sydney and were refused that we started to feel it was because we were white...a weird feeling for me and not one I'm used to feeling with my generally PC attitudes.
Sure enough first non-Asian oriented internet cafe did it for us.....the ownership is clear becuase of the dual language by the way in the windows...not being rascist or anything. Oh and we were in 'Chinatown' but that is right by the CBD.