How PC is N Zee

Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How PC is N Zee

I work in manufacturing with ordinary blue collar kiwis.
They are racist but its not in a nasty way, the maoris get some stick but (ducks for cover at this point)
that is because they are huge problem and generally cause a lot of the problems (drugs, unemployment, child abuse, domestic violence,car crime. . etc)
Over here you can call a spade a spade and its ok.
This will change as more and more "middle managers" and do gooders come over from the uk.
They seem intent on changing nz into a little britain which it most certainly is not and is much better for it.

I AM NOT SAYING ALL MAORIS ARE TROUBLE MAKERS , DRUGGIES, ALCOHOLICS AND WIFE BEATERS.
SOME ARE VERY NICE OTHERS ARE NOT.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:09 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
It just means that you can call Christmas Christmas, a black bin liner just that and you can say that we will all sing from the same hymn sheet. All the latter are banned so I understand in wonderous PC UK. .
Not banned in my part of the UK and I work in a school which is pretty pc. Had a carol concert and 3 Christmas trees in our school this year. That is Daily Mail scare mongering. I would however draw the line at being called a girl and most of my friends feel the same way. It's not PC we just feel it is demeaning to call a 40 year old woman a girl.

My mum who is head teacher of school in NZ says the Maori/Islander kids will call each other black as an insult. Don't know about the word nigger. When my parents come over to the UK and hear someone described as black on the news they shudder in shock!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Just wondering how politically correct New Zealand is? I do think there is a place for it in society in small doses, but feel that it is out of control in the UK.
I'm am interested in your thoughts, observations and experiences
Lorraine
We can't be too PC Lorrielou. Most of us have had golliwog dolls as kids.

Golly remark fails to spark NZ Lyn Blower, of Ballantynes, with Kate Finn Gollies sold at the department store.
Dolls that have been causing uproar in Britain are still on the loose in New Zealand.

Link to entire article HERE

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 11th 2009 at 9:14 am. Reason: copyright rule - link to article inserted
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:41 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by colandros
I work in manufacturing with ordinary blue collar kiwis.
They are racist but its not in a nasty way, the maoris get some stick but (ducks for cover at this point)
that is because they are huge problem and generally cause a lot of the problems (drugs, unemployment, child abuse, domestic violence,car crime. . etc)
Over here you can call a spade a spade and its ok.
This will change as more and more "middle managers" and do gooders come over from the uk.
They seem intent on changing nz into a little britain which it most certainly is not and is much better for it.

I AM NOT SAYING ALL MAORIS ARE TROUBLE MAKERS , DRUGGIES, ALCOHOLICS AND WIFE BEATERS.
SOME ARE VERY NICE OTHERS ARE NOT.
And you live in....Cambridge But I guess thats where the similarities end

I don't tend to socialize with these people but through my work our paths cross and I must say it's a pretty unpleasant experience

Oh and I love the bit about "They are racist but its not in a nasty way"

God, this place is backward

Last edited by pascalr; Feb 11th 2009 at 8:47 am.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
I have never heard ANYONE use that word in NZ. Maybe it depends on who you associate with.
Go & spend a day in a fruit packing warehouse, you won't believe your ears!!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:43 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
We can't be too PC Lorrielou. Most of us have had golliwog dolls as kids.

Link to entire article HERE
My dd made a golliwog at her primary and then wrote a speech on why they're considered unacceptable in the UK- her teachers were surprised
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

We can't be too PC Lorrielou. Most of us have had golliwog dolls as kids
Sooo true. I used to love and cherish mine.

I would however draw the line at being called a girl and most of my friends feel the same way.
This is true of many of my friends also. However, I like it as it makes me feel young again - woman sounds so erm old to me!

Ref the (in my opinion) horrendous word 'niggers'. It is common for Afro Caribbean people to call each other this (I have heard it myself and nearly choked!).
Coming from the the West Country (Bristol) I was called a s@~t kicker at a place I worked at (better than a s@~t stirrer I guess!) and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I think as much as anything it's about the context it is used in, ie in jest or intended as an insult. Provided no offence is taken I don't think there is a problem.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 11th 2009 at 11:39 am. Reason: sort quotes to help post. You can quote others using the icon 4th right at the top of the post box. HTH ;-)
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Not banned in my part of the UK and I work in a school which is pretty pc. Had a carol concert and 3 Christmas trees in our school this year. That is Daily Mail scare mongering. I would however draw the line at being called a girl and most of my friends feel the same way. It's not PC we just feel it is demeaning to call a 40 year old woman a girl.

My mum who is head teacher of school in NZ says the Maori/Islander kids will call each other black as an insult. Don't know about the word nigger. When my parents come over to the UK and hear someone described as black on the news they shudder in shock!
A recall my next door neighbour, a retired teacher, referring to a West Indian as a 'darkie', which I found objectionable but realised there was no malice there, just a result of her age and upbringing.Other genteel ladies referred to blacks as 'coloured', because they found the word 'black' derogatory.
I know many of my Indian and Pakistani students objected to being called black, yet some did in fact request that they be 'grouped with their black Afro Brothers'.

It is difficult to encompass the world with six groups but the Metropolitan Police assign "white-skinned European types - English, Scottish, Welsh, Scandinavian and Russian" to IC1;
"dark-skinned European types - Sardinian, Spanish, Italian" to IC2;
"Negroid types - Caribbean, West Indian, African, Nigerian" to IC3;
Indians and Pakistanis to IC4;
"Chinese, Japanese, Mongolians, Siamese" to IC5;
and "Arabians, Egyptians, Algerians, Moroccans and North Africans" to IC6.

IC1 White - North European
IC2 White - South European
IC3 Black
IC4 Asian
IC5 Chinese, Japanese or any other South East Asian
IC6 Arabic or North African

So now we can all see where we belong-
(The Austronesians include today's Polynesian, Micronesian, Melanesian, and the indigenous people in Philippines, in the Southeast Asia archipelago, and in Taiwan.)
ABORIGINAL Australians are descended from the same small group of people who left Africa about 70,000 years ago and colonised the rest of the world, a large genetic study shows.
Pacific Islanders, or the Maori perhaps will be boxed in IC5 ...any other South East Asian!
Still now we know exactly which little pathetic box someone will put us in!

The world is just one great big onion! And hate and fear are the spices That make you cry!

Last edited by jennifer45; Feb 11th 2009 at 4:46 pm. Reason: confusing syntax- what's new?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:17 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45

The world is just one great big onion! And hate and fear are the spices That make you cry!
Love that!

On the girl vs wimmin thing - I'd rather be called a girl any day and the older I get the more I like to be called it
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Love that!

On the girl vs wimmin thing - I'd rather be called a girl any day and the older I get the more I like to be called it
oh me too!
trouble is its usually octogenarians with a twinkle in their eye that would be likely to call me that. I really don't mind. As long as they keep their white stick to themselves.

Could never understand those women who felt insulted when a man offered them a seat or held a door open. I was flattered.
Sad I know!
Much preferred being a girl/young woman in the 50/60s.
Often look at the loutish behavior of the drunken laddites, the lack of respect shown them by their male counterparts and the lack of respect they have for themselves- is this what women's rights was aiming for - Equality in the gutter?
Women can now command equal pay and apply for the same job/positions as men- but at what price?
Sad really!

Women of my generation were treated not as inferior beings but were shown respect. Men were 'strong and protective' women acted feminine and demure and got just what they wanted!
A lot of men today have been emasculated by the aggressive attitudes of a lot of women .
Sad really!
I know there were a lot of injustices towards women both in the home and the work place, but there were towards men also and those injustices still remain- just in different forms.
I'd hate to be young in todays modern society.
Sad really!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:16 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I would want to be a woman in the 50's. The only job my mother was allowed to do was be a teacher because there weren't any other opportunities for women, except nursing, and decent girls didn't do that. Of course is was assumed she would give it up to have kids, which she did and so began 11 years of misery until she was able to escape back into the workforce. If a life being provided for and protected by a man suited you that would be fine, but many women find it difficult coping with the mind numbing tedium. Women still have to learn to live the life they want, and not the life other people think they should have. It will come in time. I work with teenagers and it is exciting to see these wonderful girls achieving so much and with such an exciting future ahead of them.

By the way, women don't get equal pay yet.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Genesis;7273478]
Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Boy? Bring it on!

For me at 50 its a compliment..however I would not mind being called boy at ANY juncture in my life. I don't do PC either anymore..its a load of bollocks (in my humble opinion). I am polite and kind I believe. Do unto others etc, but I am half french and half eire..don't mind the froggy, paddy or brit/pom moniker!! Sticks and stones. However I do find paki and the such offensive..I guess its because my frame of reference is that knuckle scraping white trash (in the main) use such terminology and I hate racism and the small minded aforementioned. Hate someone for a good reason..not their colour, creed or nationality!!

Why is it I ramble and you say everything I want to so succinctly?
Age.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:31 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm not sure I would want to be a woman in the 50's. The only job my mother was allowed to do was be a teacher because there weren't any other opportunities for women, except nursing, and decent girls didn't do that. Of course is was assumed she would give it up to have kids, which she did and so began 11 years of misery until she was able to escape back into the workforce. If a life being provided for and protected by a man suited you that would be fine, but many women find it difficult coping with the mind numbing tedium. Women still have to learn to live the life they want, and not the life other people think they should have. It will come in time. I work with teenagers and it is exciting to see these wonderful girls achieving so much and with such an exciting future ahead of them.

Top post I think at current speed we should expect equal pay sometime next century
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmh

Sorry but there were opportunities of careers in other fields besides teaching and nursing. That's the old cherry dragged out by many who went into those two callings at that time. If I remember correctly neither were a graduate profession in those days, but many girls did go to university in the late 50s and early 60's. Others went into more interesting careers for women.
assumed she would give it up to have kids
Some preferred having a career to raising a family. Some enjoyed being full time mothers and all the joy and memories it brought.
Must admit that the morning coffee discussions centred on which powder produced the whitest nappies did become brain numbing, so I went back to university.
The Uni was extremely supportive of 'mature mum' students -provided fabulous child care centre which my son still recalls 30years later.
Yet again I consider I was lucky. Not much money-certainly none of the latest household gadgets but two fantastic lads and the start of a good career which fitted in with them- rather than them fitting in with me and my wants, needs, demands.
Of course is was assumed she would give it up to have kids, which she did and so began 11 years of misery until she was able to escape
that sentence made me want to reply. I felt it was so so sad, but I guess I look at things from a different perspective, not necessarily correct but mine.
Jennie
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:52 pm
---

Sorry but there were opportunities of careers in other fields besides teaching and nursing. That's the old cherry dragged out by many who went into those two callings at that time. If I remember correctly neither were a graduate profession in those days, but many girls did go to university in the late 50s and early 60's. Others went into more interesting careers for women.
I'm sure they did- but how many compared with men? That's the real question. BTW, both nursing and teaching are interesting careers.

The Uni was extremely supportive of 'mature mum' students -provided fabulous child care centre which my son still recalls 30years later.
Yet again I consider I was lucky.
Yes, it sounds as though you were, good for you

Not much money-certainly none of the latest household gadgets but two fantastic lads and the start of a good career which fitted in with them- rather than them fitting in with me and my wants, needs, demands.
It's marvellous that you got to raise a family and have a career

The playing field isn't level though until either both parents are having careers that fit in around the family and kids, or society no longer cold shoulders women who choose to have careers that their families fit around.

For the record I'm coming to the end of ten years of SAH parenting- only interspersed with very part time work that was flexible around my family's needs, but I am off to uni next year and I expect my husband to adjust his career to suit and I have no issue with women who choose careers that their families have to fit around (within reason- parenting comes with sacrifice, that is unavoidable, imo), why should I when girls still outperform boys in school and yet 20 years later earn less in the workplace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.