How bad is it?

Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:26 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad is it?

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I was really starting to get worried...then I heard wine is not too expensive
Hmmm so the cheapest bottle here is $6 - or 3 quid but thye mostly are pretty ropey stuff. If you pay a bit more there are often quite a lot of decent wines at reduced prices from say $18 down to $9 or $15 down to $8....but that's still 4-4.50 pounds for a bottle. So about the same price as the UK.

Of course most of the wine sold here is NZ or Aussie with some South African.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:22 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I was really starting to get worried...then I heard wine is not too expensive
We have been buying excellent NZ wine from local winery (Morton Estate) at $7 ( £3.30 at current ex rate) normally $14 a bottle (£6.60 ). Supermarkets usually have good offers around similar prices......can guess you'll be taking over the research for me then
Cheers B x
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

In NZ the price of beer Sux big time. 22 ish bucks for 12 bottles of Steinlager or Stella, Asda 9 GBP for 24 Stella and larger bottles to.

Twice the price and more!!!!!!!!! Rip off big time.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Why would somebody drink Stella when having Speights or Macs
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:50 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zootalaws
Hi there, I guess I am a bit different to the average poster on here, in that I already have NZ citizenship, but live in the UK and have done since 99. We have one son in the RAF for the next 9 years at least and a 19 y.o. daughter kicking up a fuss abut moving to the other side of the world.

I am being arm wrestled by my wife to move back but in reality I think I am a bit scared of the prospect. She has already set a date and has had the movers give us quotes.

All the talk of low-paid jobs, P, gangs, violence and general crime on the up, dole bludgers, weirdos and beer at an astronomical price just makes me want to stay in nice, safe, rural blighty.

Is it as bad as I read in the Herald and Listener?

Compared to the UK? Nah, it's heaven!

I've been back in the Uk for about 6 weeks, and as expected the novelty has worn right off. I'm very glad - I pinch myself actually - that I have NZ citizenship. and can return to NZ anytime I want to. Phew!

There are massive differences between NZ and the UK, and the biggest one i've noticed is the breakdown of deceny (not necessarily crime). The people are unbelievable, but not in a good way. Loud, obnoxious, and full of self-entitltement. The typical aspiration seems to be stardom and a good tan...
The class system is still rampant. North-south divide still evident. The UK is a great place (by world standards) but compared to NZ and OZ, it's a total basket-case.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ibex
Cos I don't like it.
Old May 1st 2010, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dytopia

Compared to the UK? Nah, it's heaven!

I've been back in the Uk for about 6 weeks, and as expected the novelty has worn right off. I'm very glad - I pinch myself actually - that I have NZ citizenship. and can return to NZ anytime I want to. Phew!

There are massive differences between NZ and the UK, and the biggest one i've noticed is the breakdown of deceny (not necessarily crime). The people are unbelievable, but not in a good way. Loud, obnoxious, and full of self-entitltement. The typical aspiration seems to be stardom and a good tan...
The class system is still rampant. North-south divide still evident. The UK is a great place (by world standards) but compared to NZ and OZ, it's a total basket-case.
And that folks is the reason I left the UK. NZ for all its many many problems is a good place to live. The UK is a great place too and has many positives to it but there is something about the place....NZ on the other hand is a way calmer, cooler place to live. Less stress I guess..that's what it is. Not saying one is better than the other per se..its just which bucket of shit suits you better. I prefer the uncrowded bucket in the middle of no where that is a tad backward.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibex
don't like them.

I don't drink Macs cos it tastes horrid. Speights tastes just like sweet p*ss too, but ..SO cheap..(No wonder) I love Stella (on tap) toooooooooo expensive here though - $8.50/9 for less than a pint. Stella simply IS one of great beers. btw I don't drink bottled/canned Stella which is rubbish.
Attached Thumbnails How bad is it?-speights.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; May 1st 2010 at 9:09 am.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
don't like them.

I don't drink Macs cos it tastes horrid. Speights tastes just like sweet p*ss too, but ..SO cheap..(No wonder) I love Stella (on tap) toooooooooo expensive here though - $8.50/9 for less than a pint. Stella simply IS one of great beers. btw I don't drink bottled/canned Stella which is rubbish.
I love Stella too..especially on tap..and Kronenburg..yum!!