Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Great New Zealand picture thread

The Great New Zealand picture thread

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Great New Zealand picture thread

Thats so funny, people putting various piccies of their individual 'pride and joy' - dog, cars etc

Keep 'em coming guys, its so good to see so many excellent reasons why we're coming out in the spring
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:24 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

The moon - again!

Wellington and the cake tin (Westpac stadium) by night

Over the motorway looking towards Petone and the Hutt Valley

Our Kowhai tree

Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:41 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Kowhai is a strange choice for a national flower. Look very scruffy when they are flowering.

The Pohutukawa tree is much nicer in my humble opinion
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Our day at the Lindale Centre
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-29th-sept-045.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-29th-sept-057.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-29th-sept-070.jpg  
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I think the Kowhai is a strange choice for a national flower. Look very scruffy when they are flowering.

The Pohutukawa tree is much nicer in my humble opinion
NZ doesn't actually have an official national flower as such.

National animal and flower
The flightless native bird, the kiwi, represents New Zealand, but it has no official status as a symbol. New Zealand does not have an official national flower, but the silver fern (Cyathea dealbata), which appears on army insignia and sporting team uniforms, is an unofficial national emblem. Other unofficial symbols are the red pōhutukawa and yellow kōwhai.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilekit
Thats so funny, people putting various piccies of their individual 'pride and joy' - dog, cars etc

Keep 'em coming guys, its so good to see so many excellent reasons why we're coming out in the spring
Here are just some of my reasons.
1) Drive by shooting NZ style. Bullet holes painted on car outside Eastbourne Art Gallery. Looked so real -I felt for the hole- then felt an idiot!
2)No more wise cracks about NZ leaky wooden houses. This is the latest in RV comfort. Integral woodburner/stove (caution when scavenging for wood!)
Brings a whole new meaning to the Kiwi's custom of moving house -"lock, stock and barrel!" Owner was an interesting, heavily tattooed, very muscular, bald guy.
3) Where in the world could you find bus shelters ornately decorated/painted by renowned artist- respected by youth enjoyed by all and damaged/defaced by none? Take a look at Eastbourne!
" Never give up hope" was very meaningful to us at the time this was taken-March 2006
4)I never thought I would live to see an honest lawyer. But I DID!!
Stoke, Nelson. Had a devil of a job getting to it from Richmond side.
Kept driving past it on SH6 but no exit road,. Found ourselves driving through a myriad of houses in large residential area of Stoke. In desperation (he would never ask directions normally- being a man!) asked a guy, who was washing his car.
"Follow me!", he cried as he jumped into his nearly dry car. We did, for what seemed a good 2 miles over bridges, under bridges, left, left, right again. Was this guy having us on? Then 'The Honest Lawyer' came into view- the guy drove into the car park with us following- then tooted his horn, waved and drove off into the sunset. No chance to thank him but I will! Another reason for going out.
5) Only drawback so far with living in NZ so much (18 months in last 6 years) is the ravages the sun has caused to my skin. As you can see by this photo no amount of exfoliating or expensive moisturisers seems to work. Any suggestions?- Be kind.
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-19-12-06_0131_1.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-pict0046.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-pict0437_1.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-pict0193_1.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-pict0439_1.jpg  

Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jennifer45

2)No more wise cracks about NZ leaky wooden houses. This is the latest in RV comfort. Integral woodburner/stove (caution when scavenging for wood!)
Brings a whole new meaning to the Kiwi's custom of moving house -"lock, stock and barrel!" Owner was an interesting, heavily tattooed, very muscular, bald guy.
3) Where in the world could you find bus shelters ornately decorated/painted by renowned artist- respected by youth enjoyed by all and damaged/defaced by none? Take a look at Eastbourne!
" Never give up hope" was very meaningful to us at the time this was taken-March 2006
4)I never thought I would live to see an honest lawyer. But I DID!!
Stoke, Nelson. Had a devil of a job getting to it from Richmond side.
Kept driving past it on SH6 but no exit road,. Found ourselves driving through a myriad of houses in large residential area of Stoke. In desperation (he would never ask directions normally- being a man!) asked a guy, who was washing his car.
"Follow me!", he cried as he jumped into his nearly dry car. We did, for what seemed a good 2 miles over bridges, under bridges, left, left, right again. Was this guy having us on? Then 'The Honest Lawyer' came into view- the guy drove into the car park with us following- then tooted his horn, waved and drove off into the sunset. No chance to thank him but I will! Another reason for going out. :
Just been reading some of the heading home posts on another thread, so again, its good to see that some people are glad they went! No 4. really resonates with me, something similar happened to my uncle when he came out about 6 years ago. They'd just moved in the new house and hadn't got a lawnmower, something he happened to mention in the local bar that evening. 'really?' says some guy propping up the bar. 'I can sort that out for you, whats your address?' They told him and didn't think much more of it. Woke up the next day to half a dozen sheep grazing the front garden and a note from their bar freind telling them he'd pick them up in a few days time

God, what a country. I can't wait
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:26 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic photos Rob.
Any chance of me downloading them from thumbnails. Takes for ever otherwise.

Cheers jennie

Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:09 pm
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Fantastic photos Rob.
Any chance of me downloading them from thumbnails. Takes for ever otherwise.

Cheers jennie

They're all here:

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...m%20NZ%20Pics/
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:18 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: The Great New Zealand picture thread

Rob,
thanks for all the photos, our son lives in Wellington, so far we`ve been once in 2005 and seeing your photos reminds me of some of the places we saw. We hope to come back next year, might stay for three months or so to see how we really like it, perhaps on the Kapiti coast. Not sure if I could take the big step though to come for good!
Pat.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:59 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Rob,

Did you really go to the Tui brewery or were you just passing.

Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Rob,

And where are photo's of the TUI girls????:curse:
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:45 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Rob,

We went on purpose
Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
And where are photo's of the TUI girls????:curse:

They don't run the brewery on Saturdays so the girls were all out bathing in the Mangatainoka Riiver. Or something.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Woodend Beach
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05597.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.