Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Great New Zealand picture thread

The Great New Zealand picture thread

Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:18 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great New Zealand picture thread

Love that photo
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Which photo, the beach?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Those boulders you know that start with an M south of Oamaru
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok, I closed the window too soon. Here is the photo
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05317.jpg  
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Oamaru. Originally settled I think in 1853 was once as big as LA, California. It has an incredible stock of beautiful limestone buildings unequalled anywhere in NZ. You can also visit the blue penguin colony and see the penguins in their boxes and when they swim ashore at night.
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-adjusted-dsc05246.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05232.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05236.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05251.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-a1-dsc05220.jpg  

Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Near Kaikoura. This is the first beach you come to out of the hills from the south of the town.
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04763.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04768.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04840.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04776.jpg  
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Crossing the Wiamakariri river before Arthurs Pass
Overbridge west of Arthurs Pass
Moutains at evening heading back down into the Canterbury plain,
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-crossing-wiamakariri-1.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-mountain-evening-2.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-view-west-deaths-corner-look-out.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Here are some Christchurch photos
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04063.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04144.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04655.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-bridge.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Evening pictures of Christchurch
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-capt-cook.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04375.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04403.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04283.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-cathedral-front.jpg  

Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

More Christchurch photos
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05383-adjusted.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05451-adjusted.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-fountain-1.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05457-adjusted.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc05504-adjusted-1.jpg  

Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rangiora including a picture of the entrance to the library. The library is very good and even has a video game consul and TV for those disadvantaged kids like mine. Also, you can renew your selections where in Christchurch you cannot renew. One draw back is that the Wiamakariri libraries are not part of the lending network in Christchurch.
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04558.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04567.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04565.jpg   The Great New Zealand picture thread-dsc04569.jpg  

Last edited by CAN2NZ; Oct 9th 2007 at 7:30 am.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Auckland at night from Mount Albert. I was visiting Auckland and was up on the mount to view the lunar eclipse

I thought that Auckland was a nice city to visit. However, I found that even the expensive area of New Market looked a little shabby in the New Zealand sort of way.

I come from Canada, but have lived in the UK and now here in NZ for the last 13 months. When I say shabby in the NZ sort of way, I mean that the neighbourhood does not have that open and maintained appearance that one gets in many places in Canada. Instead, one sees lots of different fences and colours and styles of wooden houses in variety of shapes. This chaos of appearance and often overgrown hedges creates an unpleasant view to my own eye. Others may have a different opinion.

I thought that Auckland seemed a nice small city, though I prefer the South Island as it more satisfies my own tastes.
Attached Thumbnails The Great New Zealand picture thread-auckland-night.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:38 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
When I say shabby in the NZ sort of way, I mean that the neighbourhood does not have that open and maintained appearance that one gets in many places in Canada. Instead, one sees lots of different fences and colours and styles of wooden houses in variety of shapes. This chaos of appearance and often overgrown hedges creates an unpleasant view to my own eye. Others may have a different opinion.
Yes, that's it. I see exactly what you mean. Whilst I don't really like 'order', I have also found that even the best areas of Auckland (city) look shabby, compared to many areas I know in England. I have expectations of an area where houses cost several million $ and dirty streets for example, is not one of them. We had a good look at Epsom in Akl, because of the excellent schooling. We also have good friends who live there too. But it felt dirty in the way a city does. I have the same opinion of London. Just too dirty and shabby/run down looking.

Excellent photos by the way.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
Rob,
thanks for all the photos, our son lives in Wellington, so far we`ve been once in 2005 and seeing your photos reminds me of some of the places we saw. We hope to come back next year, might stay for three months or so to see how we really like it, perhaps on the Kapiti coast. Not sure if I could take the big step though to come for good!
Pat.
Pat,

Get yourself over there.............we are going soon and after seeing some of the pics I cant bloody wait.

Nici
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I used the word shabby as nothing else came to mind. It may sound a strong word to use, but I am trying to say that with all the variety of styles, fences, materials and colours that there is alot of visual noise.

I do see lots of glass on the streets and wonder that I see so many people without shoes and socks.

I am not trying to turn anyone off. I like it here. You can see from the photos I have posted we get around.

Getting around is easy. Everything is so accessible, mountains, forest, lakes, beach. We like it for that.

I can post pictures on request if anyone wants to see particular pictures of Chch and environs. If I don't have any already I can take some and post them as quick as I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.