Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Great Divide by Ian Wishart - The story of Nz and it's treaty.

The Great Divide by Ian Wishart - The story of Nz and it's treaty.

Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great Divide by Ian Wishart - The story of Nz and it's treaty.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Has anyone read The Great Divide by Ian Wishart - The story of NZ and it's Treaty.

I've just finished this book and found it extremely interesting.
Finished it today, very interesting, never heard of Kohimarama, so it makes me wonder where the likes of Hone Hawarewa get their axe to grind from. It seems as though the chiefs were begging the English to come and bring some civilization to the land as they were fed up with might is right. Maori wanted civilization and Pakeha wanted land it seems like a fair trade, and Maori got paid for the land too. The overarching thing is Christianity, the missionaries tamed the cannibal, warfaring Maori and then they were happy and so too were the the settlers. Its just government and PC crap that has made it so difficult since! I'm glad the SI was virtually uninhabited so we don't have the isssues her
Old Dec 28th 2012, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
So are you saying that the UK should still be run by the Italians (romans) then?
What hat did you pull that out of?

My comments have nothing to do with the Romans or Italians. For the record my ancestry is celtic... so again, even less relevant.

It is my belief that the British in general were a force for good around the world (the Victorians especially). They effectively created the modern world and brought a level of education, infrastructure and discipline to various places across the world including NZ. Sure, not everything was perfect but I genuinely believe the world was a far safer and sure place than it is today. I also believe that if the British Empire was well today, Africa would have been dealt with and the vast majority would have clean water and refridgeration (check out the british firm that wishes to start laying solar panels in Africa to try and achieve this). Now most of the former colonies are a mess, but hey - it was popular with the left, this is what you get!

Apart from the Maori war, I believe the Maori's were also better looked after under British rule than what the current NZ government is doing. What they need in my honest opinion are more jobs and chances to get on in life, not handouts to the Maori elite. It seems British intent here was to make NZ a better place for all (again there were a few sad tales - i.e. cutting the Kaori trees). Sadly the current NZ regime seems to have bought into American style politics where its all about capitalism, over-inflated house prices and privitisation of best performing assets.

I think the saddest thing of all, not just NZ specific is the lack of appreciation now for etiquette, principles and morals (Christian values). A lot of this is down to education and in particular the way Kiwi's must be taught to drive!

Of course, all of what I have said above will be despised by the left, but thats enough of the negative stuff.

Individually or in a family, NZ is a great place to live. Lets hope a good 2013 for all.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:00 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984

It is my belief that the British in general were a force for good around the world.
the same hat you pulled that from.

changing the way that people live to align with what you (in this case the british, but they weren't the first and will not be the last) believe they should be doing is neither helpful or useful. The fact that they didn't have a clue about the long term effects they would have is their only saving grace.

That is my belief.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Just started reading it. Will report back :-))