Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Good and Bad points about New Zealand please.

Good and Bad points about New Zealand please.

Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good and Bad points about New Zealand please.

You've all highlighted the major point, every country has problems, and living long term in a place is very different from a working holiday as a opportunity to see the country.
This is not my first working holiday, and appreciate all your views on NZ not being summed up in one stereotype, I'll just had to head on over and see for myself,,
jon
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nomadicmike
From another forum on this site but relevant...!!!

I can empathise with those views, particularly "I find NZ terribly boring and bland, a whole heap of nothingness at the end of the planet and detached from the world. "

To counteract that problem, I think you really need a location/lifestyle which is going to enable you to get out on the water or into the wild with ease. Or travel the country and play golf. If thats not your thing, then you may
struggle here.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[

To counteract that problem, I think you really need a location/lifestyle which is going to enable you to get out on the water or into the wild with ease. Or travel the country and play golf. If thats not your thing, then you may
struggle here.[/QUOTE]

I am not particularly interested in any of the above but I am having a whale of a time in NZ...permanently, after 3 years..as are my 3 young kids and wife.

To a degree places are as boring as you make them in your mindset.

Neither do I like rugby..but still VERY VERY content here.

NZ is not for everyone but to call the whole country boring is somewhat of a sweeping statement don't you think?

I think NZ is a great place, full of all the usual western problems that affords us a life sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than we had in the UK...in virtually EVERY aspect of our lives.

But then I am noted for having a positive, half full glass attitude to life (especially when the kids are behaving well!!).
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:38 am
Banned

nomadicmike is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that it is your mindset and NZ is not boring to everyone.

If you love the outdoors you'll love NZ.

If you like to travel a lot to experience different cultures within a short flight then you will become frustrated with the isolation.

There are only so many times you can holiday in Fiji (and other similar pacific Islands!)

NZ itself is not the issue. If it was where Ireland was I think it would be swamped!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

You make a valid point, having toured europe, I loved the opportunity to jump to another country in short-time and experience another culture, with AUS/NZ, as you say isolation can take its toll, and cost aswell, considering its usually half the price to fly into aus/nz than to fly out,
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Just been reading a bit more of this thread, and I do agree with Lardy.
The gang problem in NZ is actually really bad.....I also agree that you probably have not been directly affected by it, but if you have been burgled or had your car stolen, it is likely to be gang related. The gang problem here in NZ is not like anything like that in the ROW, it is tribal.
I know police officers who are terrified of the gangs. They all have patches in different cities. It is a hard concept to grasp at first, and has taken me a while to learn about it.
It is a huge problem, as the population of NZ is small, and there is a huge gang contingency. There was a doco on it the other week.....those in NZ will find it very enlightening. And worrying.
No, it is not like London. I lived in London for a long time, where nearby there was shootings stabbings etc...but the gangs in NZ are more frightening as the police have no power over them and are scared.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

It is a huge problem, as the population of NZ is small, and there is a huge gang contingency. There was a doco on it the other week.....those in NZ will find it very enlightening. And worrying.

By contrast in Northampton I lived in an area with a huge, huge yob culture that affected me and my family in a REALLY BIG way every day.

Gang stuff is scarey but its not as if they are controlling the country. There are gangs everywhere, all over the world.

I am sure Palmy has its fair share of gang members but they keep them selves to themselves round here. Given the choice of drunken violent hoards of youths at my doorstep terrorising everyone on a daily basis or gang members at the other end of town not bothering me I know which I would choose every time.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

To Genesis,
Are you being affected by the gang culture on a day to day basis where you are now, and how does it compare with where you lived before?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jhorsfield30
To Genesis,
Are you being affected by the gang culture on a day to day basis where you are now, and how does it compare with where you lived before?
Have been in NZ 3 years and only in one part of Palmy. I presently live in a wonderful quiet area. Just 3 ks out of town but within city limits. I have mountain views and its everything i could dream of yet was unable to find (or more importantly afford) in the UK.

My present locale is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the last.

Gone is all the grafitti, the rubbish, the noise the traffic, the inability to park near my home, the youth problems..which were HUGE, the prositutes, the burglary, the car crime the drugs..and all the other shite I put up with every day.

All the afore mentioned probably still happens here in my town, fortunately far far from my children and our doorstep.

If only to live in a civilised neighbourhood free of the scourge of anti social n'er do wells the move to NZ was worth it!!!! But we got boat loads more positive stuff aswell going on in our lives cos of the move.

NZ as we all know has huge problems, they may start to affect us one day on a daily basis..who knows...then I'll just move again. i have tried to do my bit for the neighbourhood like tidying it and having pride..but its useless when you are the only one doing it..easiest thing is to move.

Now I won't say that gangs are not a problem in this country, but most people like me seem to be saying.." yes they are there that is obvious, and they are doing some naughty things...BUT they don't seem to impact upon me atall day to day".

Some may say an 'alright jack attitude' but don't we all want to live somewhere quiet and safe to enjoy our lives? Not much to ask for i say. Well it was in NN1 3 PZ!!!!!!!

So no, gangs dont affect me or my family DIRECTLY in anyway whatsoever.......I am sure somewhere along the line there is an indirect hit of negativity.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Have been in NZ 3 years and only in one part of Palmy. I presently live in a wonderful quiet area. Just 3 ks out of town but within city limits. I have mountain views and its everything i could dream of yet was unable to find (or more importantly afford) in the UK.

My present locale is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the last.

Gone is all the grafitti, the rubbish, the noise the traffic, the inability to park near my home, the youth problems..which were HUGE, the prositutes, the burglary, the car crime the drugs..and all the other shite I put up with every day.

All the afore mentioned probably still happens here in my town, fortunately far far from my children and our doorstep.

If only to live in a civilised neighbourhood free of the scourge of anti social n'er do wells the move to NZ was worth it!!!! But we got boat loads more positive stuff aswell going on in our lives cos of the move.

NZ as we all know has huge problems, they may start to affect us one day on a daily basis..who knows...then I'll just move again. i have tried to do my bit for the neighbourhood like tidying it and having pride..but its useless when you are the only one doing it..easiest thing is to move.

Now I won't say that gangs are not a problem in this country, but most people like me seem to be saying.." yes they are there that is obvious, and they are doing some naughty things...BUT they don't seem to impact upon me atall day to day".

Some may say an 'alright jack attitude' but don't we all want to live somewhere quiet and safe to enjoy our lives? Not much to ask for i say. Well it was in NN1 3 PZ!!!!!!!

So no, gangs dont affect me or my family DIRECTLY in anyway whatsoever.......I am sure somewhere along the line there is an indirect hit of negativity.
I tell you one thing mate, you have made sure that I never go to Northampton!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Bad points for NZ:
  • Highly changeable weather - makes planning a day out . BBQ almost as bad as inthe UK.
  • Loads of rain in the North Isalnd in Autumn, winter and spring.
  • Crap housing - been done to death on here, but if you loathe home improvement work and just want a warm, draught free home it's tough to find one. Going outside to 'warm' up is just miserable existence.
  • Lack of public transport causing high dependency on cars equaling traffic congestion in larger cities and lots of drink driving.
  • High cost of living means limited amounts of funds for luxuries like overseas travel, nice clothes, eating out.
  • Generally rather dull nightlife - all the cool bands go to Oz on tour. NZ gets Cher and Burt Bacharak.
  • Lack of crown land to walk your dofg or ride a horse - most land is owned by someone so access is restricted.

Good points
    • Nice friendly people
    • Lovelt scenary in the South Island.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:22 am
Banned

nomadicmike is an unknown quantity at this point

I often wonder why 'scenery' gets mentioned all the time.

For sure NZ has spectacular scenery (so does Wales, Scotland, Albania!, England etc etc) but that is not a reason to move there.

Scenery is a reason to holiday there.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Good and Bad points about New Zealand please.

You shouldn't move for the scenery alone but I would say the fab scenery improves the quality of my daily life - it is everywhere in NZ - you are never far from a great view....Wellington Harbour for instance is just one.
Some lucky people have great views from their gardens or even their lounge windows .
Only come if the budget works out in your own case though because 'you can't eat the scenery' and/or 'the scenery doesn't pay the mortgage'.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:04 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder why 'scenery' gets mentioned all the time.

For sure NZ has spectacular scenery (so does Wales, Scotland, Albania!, England etc etc) but that is not a reason to move there.

Because for some people the enironment they live in is one thing that adds to life's enjoyment. Not everyone, but a reasonable number of people, seem to feel that way about NZ.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure plenty of people get bored with scenery. Doesn't stop all those Kiwis moving away does it?
You get bored with the geographical isolation not the scenery...the Kiwis move to see more of the world than just NZ and occasionally a bit of OZ. I have met people in their 40s here who have never been to South Island never mind another country...I was amazed because I'm sure most Kiwis travel at some point. But then a couple of my grandparents (now deceased) never left the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.