Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling The Pinch?

Feeling The Pinch?

Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling The Pinch?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Why buy a brand new one?? I bought a Honda 2nd hand with 75k klms on the clock. It cost 75% ($11k) less than a new one (it was 9 years old when I bought it). I have had it 4 years now and have spent about $1500 onit (servicing, new tyres and the odd bit of wear and tear), its as good if not better than when I bought it 4 years ago. Runs like new, no rust and has never let me down. Sailed thru all 8 WoFs. So save your cash and buy a good car that has already done most of its depreciation yet still has many years of service left. I hope to keep my Odyssey another 6 years.
I prefer to know its full history and this seems to work reliability wise but yes your method could potentially save even more .

Trouble with the delicious home baking is that you are tempted to eat more of it as it tastes so much better than shop bought.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Living the dream, hey?!

My top tip is washing powder. I still have a bit of guilt about this because in the UK I used eco-brands but I've found you can buy truly massive sacks of persil (front and top loader) from the warehouse very cheaply. If you wait, eventually they put it on special for about $10-15 a bag. Then I buy two and it lasts just under a YEAR! Even if you buy it at full price (about $20-22 iirc) it's still cheap.

Menu plan and shop to the menu. It's so boring but we decide what we're going to cook and eat and then make a list down to the number of carrots etc.
Great minds eh!! We do exactly the same with washing powder. Its on special regularly so we never run out!
Also menu plan and shop accordingly. Works for us.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:09 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I've diluted the cleaning sprays and the washing up liquid - although I have to say it now seems very watery.

I've halved the dose of dishwasher powder and washing machine powder.

I'm on our third meal out of a chicken! I shall freeze that though or the kids might start to complain!

It's actually quite enjoyable at the moment. I'm looking forward to starting to see drops in my utilities bills. If I don't I shall be gutted!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:14 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Well, I've diluted the cleaning sprays and the washing up liquid - although I have to say it now seems very watery.
Well, it will! The real test is whether it works well enough for the HALF+ cost saving you immediately make

Another one- if your family eat a lot of yoghurt switch to making it using those sachets. They've got less crud in them as well as being cheaper than the main brand stuff anyway. I don't make bread- I don't think it saves anything (when you factor in oven etc) and it's too time consuming to be enjoyable, imo.

I don't buy pasta or pizza sauce anymore but make massive batches at a time from a really scrummy recipe I was given that is also cheap as.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually quite enjoyable at the moment. I'm looking forward to starting to see drops in my utilities bills. If I don't I shall be gutted!
I think that's the key; make it fun and set yourself small goals and move in little babysteps. You can try small adjustments to see if they work for you. Somethings you'll not bother with again and some will stick with you and become new habits or your new 'normal'. If you start making huge cutbacks and chopping things out drastically, you'll end up feeling resentful and deprived.

Another small tip I read somewhere, which people were raving about, was to squash the toilet roll a tad, so that it doesn't turn freely on the holder and kids don't reel off huge handfuls.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on our third meal out of a chicken! I shall freeze that though or the kids might start to complain!
If you make a chicken pie with rest, a base of short crust and a top of puff, part bake it for 20 mins, remove and cool down... freeze it and just defrost and bake when you need it... pastry will be as good as if baked once
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I've halved the dose of dishwasher powder and washing machine powder.

Do you boil the chook carcass with onions and carrots to make a yummy stock that you can then make a soup or risotto with? This too can be frozen and usd later.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I prefer to know its full history and this seems to work reliability wise but yes your method could potentially save even more .

Trouble with the delicious home baking is that you are tempted to eat more of it as it tastes so much better than shop bought.
Re cars, I have owned well over 100..nearer to 120ish in 35 years of driving. Only 2 have been new. All the others were 2nd hand and all of them pretty trouble free. I have never had a lemon..oh other than one of the 2 new ones. Went back over 10 times in under 3 years. New cars are one of life's biggest money pits IMO....unless you need that 'new car feel good factor' buy one that is a one owner with history and a warranty and you are on a winner.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

..unless you need that 'new car feel good factor' buy one that is a one owner with history and a warranty and you are on a winner.
Yeah I think I crave that once every 10 years lol. You know that lovely new car smell. I know I shouldn't but I do. Also if possible always get cars with 5 star NCAP safety ratings - lots seem to have these now - they used to be rare.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yeah I think I crave that once every 10 years lol. You know that lovely new car smell. I know I shouldn't but I do. Also if possible always get cars with 5 star NCAP safety ratings - lots seem to have these now - they used to be rare.
If you like the new car smell without the new car price, then try buying a ex demo.. normally only 3-6mths old and will have all the benefits of a new car and you save quite a bit from new...
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:41 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Re cars, I have owned well over 100..nearer to 120ish in 35 years of driving. Only 2 have been new. All the others were 2nd hand and all of them pretty trouble free. I have never had a lemon..oh other than one of the 2 new ones. Went back over 10 times in under 3 years. New cars are one of life's biggest money pits IMO....unless you need that 'new car feel good factor' buy one that is a one owner with history and a warranty and you are on a winner.

are you a crim?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by P18PPS

are you a crim?
The word I used was 'owned'............ not 'borrowed'.: thumbsup:
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:30 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

100-120 cars in 35 years of driving?! I do not think these cars were lasting you that well! That's 3+ cars a year!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Elvis owned a lot of cars.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Elvis owned a lot of cars.
Wowwww are you suggesting that Elvis is alive and well and living in Palmerston North?

'Viva Palmy North' just doesn't have the same sense of sophistication and glamour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.