Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling The Pinch?

Feeling The Pinch?

Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:42 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling The Pinch?

Originally Posted by Charismatic

In truth though saving money is a fools game. Things get more expensive, thats how inflation works so you really need to be prepared to tell your employer to pay you more (by at least the rate of inflation, don't get into the trap of taking a one time "bonus" either) and have a plan to walk if they don't. Keep your options open by sending people your resumes and taking interviews. Work will be quite a substantial part (half?) of your life so you really shouldn't settle.
Uuuuh - rubbish!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Felix would like to live in the UK near his rellies, he's 10. But Kate and I don't think he would not be able to cope with such a huge move. The twins Isabelle and Elise would be happy anywhere and can cope with anything..they have me as their main care giver!!! The kids would be loathe to give up the lifestyle we have here that we could never dream of emulating in the UK on a nurses job. Kate is incredibly well paid here as a senior nurse and she would be unlikely to find such a niche job that she has here in NZ in the UK. As far as how I am feeling goes I am fairly content...I like a moan and a whinge, what pom does not? I think I am too long in the tooth to start all over anywhere else to be frank. We have spent 6 years making our home amazing and we have a reasonable social circle....better than it was in the UK. We want for nothing here. I hear " shut up moaning and thank your lucky stars". And I do. If I did not rant about all the shitty things in NZ I could never appreciate all the amazing, positive things NZ gives us. Looks like we are staying eh?
Isn't that the purpose of BE G. Geez I am a Kiwi and I could moan about heaps here at times. No where is perfect and neither are we.

But NZ has been good to our family over the years and we are well settled. Been there done that if you know what I mean.

Hang in there matey, this too will pass.

And if that doesn't work have a good stiff brandy.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Genie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really nice

I'm thinking of brewing my own. [/QUOTE]

I keep thinking about doing that but every time I go into BinInn I come out more confused about what you need to set up and would it be worth it

Let me know if you ever do try it

Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:16 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genie3
I'm thinking of brewing my own.
I keep thinking about doing that but every time I go into BinInn I come out more confused about what you need to set up and would it be worth it

Let me know if you ever do try it

[/QUOTE] What are you trying to make petal?

Beer is easy if you just want to brew, Vodka if you want spirits. From there the sky is the limit depending on what you want to make/spend.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Living as simply and cheaply as possible is the new buzz and people find that it can be rather fun beating the marketing guys at their own game and shunning the consumerism of the past.
Quite happy to beat the marketing guys at their own game....very good at resisting all that unnecessary consumerism (see below) but making meat go further because you are too short of cash to do otherwise is just sad and certainly not to be aspired to.

Best saving of all: buy a brand new car, get it regularly serviced and run it into the ground...i.e. keep it at least 10 years.
The comments I get from certain people because our cars don't fit my OH's salary level.
Not interested in status symbols, so long as car is safe and big enough for family, why throw away hard earned money on depreciation on a car...year after year just so you can 'look flash'?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
wrt cleaning products- I buy one multi purpose spray and dilute it down into three bottles. One disinfectant spray then does kitchen, bathroom, loos- the lot. Only other cleaning stuff I buy is washing powder (see post above), dishwashing powder (concur with Genesis- use half) and washing up liquid (again, dilute it). I swear the stuff you buy is so strong you can easily half or triple dilute and one sort will do it all- no need to buy separate rubbish.
Yep one multi-purpose cleaner does the lot...it's the marketing that makes you think otherwise.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you might like Wendyl Nissen's site for homemade cleaning and beauty products:

http://www.wendylsgreengoddess.co.nz...p?pr=Home_Page

I have her book (My year of living like my Grandmother ) but have not gotten around to reading it yet.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Quite happy to beat the marketing guys at their own game....very good at resisting all that unnecessary consumerism (see below) but making meat go further because you are too short of cash to do otherwise is just sad and certainly not to be aspired to.

Best saving of all: buy a brand new car, get it regularly serviced and run it into the ground...i.e. keep it at least 10 years.
The comments I get from certain people because our cars don't fit my OH's salary level.
Not interested in status symbols, so long as car is safe and big enough for family, why throw away hard earned money on depreciation on a car...year after year just so you can 'look flash'?
Why buy a brand new one?? I bought a Honda 2nd hand with 75k klms on the clock. It cost 75% ($11k) less than a new one (it was 9 years old when I bought it). I have had it 4 years now and have spent about $1500 onit (servicing, new tyres and the odd bit of wear and tear), its as good if not better than when I bought it 4 years ago. Runs like new, no rust and has never let me down. Sailed thru all 8 WoFs. So save your cash and buy a good car that has already done most of its depreciation yet still has many years of service left. I hope to keep my Odyssey another 6 years.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Make the most of the seasonal veggies, pumpkins at 99 cents presently makes a nice soup, or risotto. Make a seasonal fruit based dessert to fill up on: apples are cheap as at the moment, we've had apple something or another for the past several weeks.
What we all want to know now is, when are we invited round to tea.. all sounds yum... :P
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
What we all want to know now is, when are we invited round to tea.. all sounds yum... :P
I was just thinking what I can do with apples tomorrow for a change, how does Eve's Pudding sound??

You could have some too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/evespudding_83911
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just thinking what I can do with apples tomorrow for a change, how does Eve's Pudding sound??

You could have some too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/evespudding_83911
Think I'll have mine wif custard please, but I'd seriously think about adding in a tbsp of cinemon and some rasins...
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:58 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
Why buy a brand new one?? I bought a Honda 2nd hand with 75k klms on the clock. It cost 75% ($11k) less than a new one (it was 9 years old when I bought it). I have had it 4 years now and have spent about $1500 onit (servicing, new tyres and the odd bit of wear and tear), its as good if not better than when I bought it 4 years ago. Runs like new, no rust and has never let me down. Sailed thru all 8 WoFs. So save your cash and buy a good car that has already done most of its depreciation yet still has many years of service left. I hope to keep my Odyssey another 6 years.
I think I may have taken it to the extreme ...

Attached Thumbnails Feeling The Pinch?-baby.jpg  
Old Mar 25th 2011, 4:36 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Old habits gained in NZ die hard. I still shop around for second hand furniture before buying new, will never buy a tumble dryer, wait for petrol to be on the lowest price point for the week. The only difference now is that I keep less and give more to Op shops than I used to.
it's true. I We don't have a tumble dryer in Canada (I use lines/clothes horses) and people think I'm so green, but really I"m just a kiwi
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was just thinking what I can do with apples tomorrow for a change,

I was doing the same with my peach glut. Husband ,the pudding person, has flown away though, so I shall just be freezing the rest for laters.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
it's true. I We don't have a tumble dryer in Canada (I use lines/clothes horses) and people think I'm so green, but really I"m just a kiwi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.