Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling The Pinch?

Feeling The Pinch?

Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:17 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling The Pinch?

Ahhhh, this is the site I'd previously heard of ...

Living Off The Smell Of An Oily Rag
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:36 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

omg, living off the smell of an oily rag? hahaha now that takes me back.

I'm actually being serious. The Pakn' save, bulk buying, NEVER using the dryer because godforbid the electricity bill is exactly how I was brought up in Nu Zulund.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It's all in the language.

Austerity is the new shit .
Thrift and friugalism are indeed the new black and we're bang in trend here. Being frugal and living within one's means is now ultra cool and savvy. There's a whole movement of people around the world who have embraced the frugal living trend, who are into more sustainable, greener lifestyles, who frown upon wastefulness, are growing their own and making-do and mending. I think NZ is actually quite a way behind in this stuff and most certainly not on the ball when it comes to the massive shift towards the sustainability, environmentally friendlier or healthier lifestyle aspects.

You only have to look to the internet to see the screeds of websites dedicated to the subject and people proudly blogging left, right and centre about creative ways to save money and making what you do have stretch a little further. There's no longer any shame or stigma attached, with reams and reams iof editorial and books about the new art of living within one's means and it's being followed by people even if they don't HAVE to.

I hear it from family conversations and people around me, people are doing it without even thinking about it; shopping around for the cheapest deals is now for many a way of life. It's far more acceptable for people to to say things like "let's do xyz instead because it's cheaper". Living as simply and cheaply as possible is the new buzz and people find that it can be rather fun beating the marketing guys at their own game and shunning the consumerism of the past.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:17 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
For some life in Nz is quite hard, some for emotional reasons probably even more for fiscal reasons. My issues with NZ lay very squarely in the intangible camp. I have everything materially and more I ever wanted in the UK but could not afford there, however for I am troubled within my mind about a number of aspects of life in NZ. I do not wish to and will not return to the UK. It is part of my life that is over. Just not sure (like I used to be) that NZ is as great as I thought it was. However my family are at ease here and they are no1. I will live to learn with the troublesome aspects of life here. I don't really know where else we could carve out what we have here. Even if there was somewhere else I would not want my loved ones to go thru' another upheaval. Life is much, much worse elsewhere. I will count my blessings for now.
Have you asked them how they feel about living somewhere else and do they know how hard you're finding it?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:20 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
omg, living off the smell of an oily rag? hahaha now that takes me back.

I'm actually being serious. The Pakn' save, bulk buying, NEVER using the dryer because godforbid the electricity bill is exactly how I was brought up in Nu Zulund.
Old habits gained in NZ die hard. I still shop around for second hand furniture before buying new, will never buy a tumble dryer, wait for petrol to be on the lowest price point for the week. The only difference now is that I keep less and give more to Op shops than I used to.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:23 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

wrt cleaning products- I buy one multi purpose spray and dilute it down into three bottles. One disinfectant spray then does kitchen, bathroom, loos- the lot. Only other cleaning stuff I buy is washing powder (see post above), dishwashing powder (concur with Genesis- use half) and washing up liquid (again, dilute it). I swear the stuff you buy is so strong you can easily half or triple dilute and one sort will do it all- no need to buy separate rubbish.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:36 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I wondered if any of you wonderful people have any money saving tips to share?

I thought I'd done a budget shop for 5 of us yesterday only for it to come to $200. Then I got home to find the big bag of dog food is nearly empty, which is about another $80.
Have you thought about eating the dog?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Have you asked them how they feel about living somewhere else and do they know how hard you're finding it?
Felix would like to live in the UK near his rellies, he's 10. But Kate and I don't think he would not be able to cope with such a huge move. The twins Isabelle and Elise would be happy anywhere and can cope with anything..they have me as their main care giver!!! The kids would be loathe to give up the lifestyle we have here that we could never dream of emulating in the UK on a nurses job. Kate is incredibly well paid here as a senior nurse and she would be unlikely to find such a niche job that she has here in NZ in the UK. As far as how I am feeling goes I am fairly content...I like a moan and a whinge, what pom does not? I think I am too long in the tooth to start all over anywhere else to be frank. We have spent 6 years making our home amazing and we have a reasonable social circle....better than it was in the UK. We want for nothing here. I hear " shut up moaning and thank your lucky stars". And I do. If I did not rant about all the shitty things in NZ I could never appreciate all the amazing, positive things NZ gives us. Looks like we are staying eh?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 1:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Feeling The Pinch?

My best money saving tips:
- Wire hot water and room outlets past your electric meter. This will lower you bill substantially.
- Most universities offer free washing facilities (including dryers), cafeteria "food" and gym services, just pretend to be a "mature" student.
- Don't pay to see films, buy music or read magazines as www.piratebay.org has heaps.
- Get elected as a local MP, you can put anything on your ministerial credit card.

In truth though saving money is a fools game. Things get more expensive, thats how inflation works so you really need to be prepared to tell your employer to pay you more (by at least the rate of inflation, don't get into the trap of taking a one time "bonus" either) and have a plan to walk if they don't. Keep your options open by sending people your resumes and taking interviews. Work will be quite a substantial part (half?) of your life so you really shouldn't settle.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Thought I would add a saving I recently discovered - maybe others do it all the time - use de-humidifer overnight for a whole rack of towels - MUCH cheaper than the tumble dryer.
Also the one it seems everyone recently from UK hates - cold washes in the washing machine. Works fine with the right powder - do a hot wash every 5 or so washes to remove soap build up. Wish I had realised both of these years ago with kids still at home - lots of saving over a year
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:25 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorrick
Thought I would add a saving I recently discovered - maybe others do it all the time - use de-humidifer overnight for a whole rack of towels - MUCH cheaper than the tumble dryer.
Also the one it seems everyone recently from UK hates - cold washes in the washing machine. Works fine with the right powder - do a hot wash every 5 or so washes to remove soap build up. Wish I had realised both of these years ago with kids still at home - lots of saving over a year
Mmm, thing is though- after a while of doing cold washes, particularly with kids, everything just looks tired and grubby, ime.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Mmm, thing is though- after a while of doing cold washes, particularly with kids, everything just looks tired and grubby, ime.
Does anyone have cheap rate night leccy? Even if your machine does not have a timer mode you can buy timers in the W'house for a few bucks. Go to genesis electricity to see if they do your area. Its half price during the hours of 11pm-7am. And they only load you 1 cent on the day rate which means you pay less than 5 % extra during the day but you get 50% off during the night. We run all our high wattage stuff like spa and pool, dehumidifiers, washing machine et al during this period. We even bake bread on the cheap..you could do a casserole over night.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 4:17 am
---

I like that idea Genesis- I'll look into what our leccy deal is
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Does anyone have cheap rate night leccy? Even if your machine does not have a timer mode you can buy timers in the W'house for a few bucks. Go to genesis electricity to see if they do your area. Its half price during the hours of 11pm-7am. And they only load you 1 cent on the day rate which means you pay less than 5 % extra during the day but you get 50% off during the night. We run all our high wattage stuff like spa and pool, dehumidifiers, washing machine et al during this period. We even bake bread on the cheap..you could do a casserole over night.

Is yours still half price for the night rate? Ours has just gone up a huge amount and not much difference now between night and day.

21.84 cents per kwh for day rate and
18.56 cents per kwh at night.

It was until very recently only 10 cents something at night. It's so blooming convoluted and hard to compare, because it seems we're now on a lower day rate than their standard anytime rate of 23.13 cents.

ETA: Just playing around with Genesis pricing plans, there are vast differences between regions, even from one side of Auckland to another and yes some are still on the sub 10 cents something for night time rates - one I looked at was as low as 8.85 cents All very weird!!

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 25th 2011 at 5:19 am.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Is yours still half price for the night rate? Ours has just gone up a huge amount and not much difference now between night and day.

21.84 cents per kwh for day rate and
18.56 cents per kwh at night.

It was until very recently only 10 cents something at night. It's so blooming convoluted and hard to compare, because it seems we're now on a lower day rate than their standard anytime rate of 23.13 cents.

ETA: Just playing around with Genesis pricing plans, there are vast differences between regions, even from one side of Auckland to another and yes some are still on the sub 10 cents something for night time rates - one I looked at was as low as 8.85 cents All very weird!!
10.62 cents at night..all other times 23.31 cents, plus GST LESS 10% for prompt payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Daily charge is 85cents. That is Manawatu region.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.