Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Feeling The Pinch?

Feeling The Pinch?

Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Feeling The Pinch?

I think all these posts make living in new zealand sound really shit!!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's all in the language.

Austerity is the new shit .
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Sounds like you're living like a kiwi
Can't beat them..join them.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
As Bourbon implied, it's hardly living the dream is it? Sure there's an old thread on this as well. Ideas must be the same...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Alas for some that is the case. I cannot believe how skint some people are in NZ. The latter happen to be kiwis in my case, but what say if you have come all the way over here from the Uk to find your self on the bones of your arse? In the past some emigrees have also alluded to just that. I have my issues with life in Nz but thankfully due to my advanced yrs and Kate's earning ability within healthcare we are sound money wise. I cannot imagine what it must be like to wonder how you will put food on the table next week. Alas there appear to be way too many people like that here and yes, probably just like there are many poverty striken people in the Uk..BUT the majority of those in the Uk are indigenous poor people, unlike many who have come to Nz chasing a dream only to find the opposite.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:29 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

!!! I think it is the world over at the moment - probably a good eye opener for those thinking they can "escape" to NZ.... the problems are the same, just packaged in a slightly different way.

From my point of view, a really interesting and informative thread - I'm going to try a load of these money saving ideas... maybe this time next year I'll be a millionaire (a la Del Boy Trotter style).
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Someone has to say it so it might as well be me- IT IS!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

This is just like the old Viz magazine.

- dont throw away all that old cardboard from cereal packets and beer cartons , shove it in the walls so you have some insulation!!!

- train tickets too much for you? Just pretend to be asleep when the guard asks you for ticket, or wear mongrel mob jacket and you will be left alone.

- save on leccy bill by not having showers or bath except once a year, and if someone says u stink tell them to harden up.

- cant afford internet or 3 meals a day - kick a copper in the goolies and enjoy 6 months at HMP
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:28 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez you lot are really down right now, come over to the Oz forum and cheer up!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Jeez you lot are really down right now, come over to the Oz forum and cheer up!
For some life in Nz is quite hard, some for emotional reasons probably even more for fiscal reasons. My issues with NZ lay very squarely in the intangible camp. I have everything materially and more I ever wanted in the UK but could not afford there, however for I am troubled within my mind about a number of aspects of life in NZ. I do not wish to and will not return to the UK. It is part of my life that is over. Just not sure (like I used to be) that NZ is as great as I thought it was. However my family are at ease here and they are no1. I will live to learn with the troublesome aspects of life here. I don't really know where else we could carve out what we have here. Even if there was somewhere else I would not want my loved ones to go thru' another upheaval. Life is much, much worse elsewhere. I will count my blessings for now.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:26 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Some great ideas here thanks and some interesting comments too.

My life has changed hugely in the last year as I have separated from my husband and had to give up my business. My husband does not contribute to the 3 children I have living at home. So it is more the having to live to a budget through change of personal circumstance combined with escalating living costs tat now has me having to live to a budget.

For the record I don't blame NZ for any of this or regret for a minute my moving here...

I shall weave baskets for the local market from my armpit hair and bake bread ...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Some great ideas here thanks and some interesting comments too.

My life has changed hugely in the last year as I have separated from my husband and had to give up my business. My husband does not contribute to the 3 children I have living at home. So it is more the having to live to a budget through change of personal circumstance combined with escalating living costs tat now has me having to live to a budget.

For the record I don't blame NZ for any of this or regret for a minute my moving here...

I shall weave baskets for the local market from my armpit hair and bake bread ...
Sorry to hear your ex is not contributing..is that he can't or won't? Sorry to hear about your business too. Boy some of us on this forum have had our bad luck in different areas eh? I always believe greatness comes from adversity..I have had my fair share of the latter and whilst I am miles from great I have 'improved' my attitude in some ways!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:14 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth a look??...http://pigtitsandparsleysauce.co.nz/
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:20 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnB
Might be worth a look??...http://pigtitsandparsleysauce.co.nz/
Brilliant name - and interesting site too, will look in more detail. One thing I noticed is the cleaning products, Am Loolah this is probably another huge money saver - so just thought of:

Got any or access to lemon trees? Lemon juice is a great cleaner.

White vinegar and water makes the best glass/window cleaner - put it in a spray bottle and use newspaper to polish off - comes up sparkling everytime.

Not sure about the baking soda instead of shampoo though as suggested on the above site?!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:10 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Brilliant name - and interesting site too, will look in more detail. One thing I noticed is the cleaning products, Am Loolah this is probably another huge money saver - so just thought of:

Got any or access to lemon trees? Lemon juice is a great cleaner.

White vinegar and water makes the best glass/window cleaner - put it in a spray bottle and use newspaper to polish off - comes up sparkling everytime.

Not sure about the baking soda instead of shampoo though as suggested on the above site?!
Some excellent sites, thank you all. I remember I used to brush my teeth with baking soda when I was a teenager! For that day-glo white!! Can you see!!!

I don't use my car very much anyway to be honest. One of the sites suggested staying out of the supermarket and only shopping at Bin Inn, greengrocer, markets etc. But by the time I've driven round to them all, it might have been cheaper to go to the supermarket?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.