Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving standards in NZ

Driving standards in NZ

Old Feb 8th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving standards in NZ

Theres no rhyme or reason behind it kiwis are complete f**kwits when it comes to driving.
Even those who think they are good at it are shite, they have no idea what so ever.
I see more accidents here than I ever did in the uk and nz only has about 10% of the number of cars.
Most of them think its ok to drink and drive, they brake at inappropriate times, overtake in the wrong place,
feel it ok to tailgate 2 feet off your rear bumber and dont pass when you move over to let them,
drive to slow then suddenly speed up when they get to a passing lane only to slow down again when it ends,
they dont look around them when parking and think its ok to reverse into parking spots swinging the front
of their cars right out into the middle of road, they run red lights, they NEVER give an inch allowing anyone
to pull out into the road, if you are courteous and allow them time to join traffic they panic and just sit
there and panic not knowing what to to as courtesy is an alien concept, they speed past school buses but slow to
a crawl whenever a police car is around or to rubber neck at other accidents usually causing at least one or
two further accidents because they are tail gating and not watching where they are going,
and then best of all despite all the above

They complain about asian drivers
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:18 am
Just Joined

northumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant future

To make it home alive at the end of the day has become part of my daily routine! I may have to start praying in March!!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Theres no rhyme or reason behind it kiwis are complete f**kwits when it comes to driving.
Even those who think they are good at it are shite, they have no idea what so ever.
I see more accidents here than I ever did in the uk and nz only has about 10% of the number of cars.
Most of them think its ok to drink and drive, they brake at inappropriate times, overtake in the wrong place,
feel it ok to tailgate 2 feet off your rear bumber and dont pass when you move over to let them,
drive to slow then suddenly speed up when they get to a passing lane only to slow down again when it ends,
they dont look around them when parking and think its ok to reverse into parking spots swinging the front
of their cars right out into the middle of road, they run red lights, they NEVER give an inch allowing anyone
to pull out into the road, if you are courteous and allow them time to join traffic they panic and just sit
there and panic not knowing what to to as courtesy is an alien concept, they speed past school buses but slow to
a crawl whenever a police car is around or to rubber neck at other accidents usually causing at least one or
two further accidents because they are tail gating and not watching where they are going,

Absolutely spot on

OH said the other day that if he was a traffic cop he wouldn't have to leave the peninsula. There'd be enough work to keep him busy all day just in this small area.

Driving in NZ is like dicing with death everyday. What fun. I only comment on good drivers now. Takes up much less time.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you dont say much then...

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 8th 2012 at 3:23 am.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody brilliant !!

You just forgot to mention the driving in and around and through car parks. OMG what is it with them, that they have to hoon across one aisle to the next and not a single care for pedestrians, children or cars coming along.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:45 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent
You also forgot just pulling out of junctions without bothering to take note of whether there is a car on the road. They see white lines on the road as something to drive on or over rather than guidance as to where their side of the road starts and ends. And there's no understanding of lane discipline
Oh yes, March 25th onwards is going to be interesting Glad that the rule is finally going though.

I know all these behaviours occur in the UK but they're nowhere near as prevalent, I don't need to drive as defensively over there.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Excellent
You also forgot just pulling out of junctions without bothering to take note of whether there is a car on the road. They see white lines on the road as something to drive on or over rather than guidance as to where their side of the road starts and ends. And there's no understanding of lane discipline
Oh yes, March 25th onwards is going to be interesting Glad that the rule is finally going though.

I know all these behaviours occur in the UK but they're nowhere near as prevalent, I don't need to drive as defensively over there.
In my little market town the driving is dreadful. A delightful mix of aged-can't see over the steering wheel-it's my right and boyracer-coke can exhaust. Signalling is non existant and parking is wherever you fancy, double, in or out of bay (keeps OH in a job!) Narrow roads = agressive driving.
But hey, keeps you on your toes
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you dont say much then...
Not a lot
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:37 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
In my little market town the driving is dreadful. A delightful mix of aged-can't see over the steering wheel-it's my right and boyracer-coke can exhaust. Signalling is non existant and parking is wherever you fancy, double, in or out of bay (keeps OH in a job!) Narrow roads = agressive driving.
But hey, keeps you on your toes
If you mean in Devon I can vouch for that. My in-laws were native Devonians. They thought the drink-drive laws were a London thing that they didn't need to worry about 'down here'. Speeding on blind corners was fine because 'we know the roads'. No need to worry about lane control - there aren't any on many of the roads.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:24 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I feel liberated by the anarchic driving. Got a cheap car and insure it well so i'm not worried. I'll follow the law and god help the people who try to muscle in on me because I'll be a diamond tipped double hard bastard who won't even hint at giving an inch behind the wheel. No one has had a go yet either.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I feel liberated by the anarchic driving. Got a cheap car and insure it well so i'm not worried. I'll follow the law and god help the people who try to muscle in on me because I'll be a diamond tipped double hard bastard who won't even hint at giving an inch behind the wheel. No one has had a go yet either.
I'd love to get an old nail,wrap it in bullbars and go out to "play" with the natives
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:27 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. When in Rome....
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:42 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't life strange....I have never met a bad car driver yet.....you ask them....
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Isn't life strange....I have never met a bad car driver yet.....you ask them....
When did you last visit NZ?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:10 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
When did you last visit NZ?
You missed the whole point, you ask any car driver if he is a good or bad driver! Seems it's always the other person.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.