Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving standards in NZ

Driving standards in NZ

Old Feb 4th 2012, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving standards in NZ

Maybe they're finally realising how bad it is, main story on the NZ Herald App.

http://nzh.tw/10783288
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:23 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving standards in NZ

not going to help when the new changes come into force either
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely poor reporting there, the statistics are completely wrong, not referenced properly etc.

Compared to the UK standards are bad, but compare the UK to many places in Europe and the UK is bad.

Australia would be worse than NZ in terms of drones and lack of courtesy. And many places in the US are just as aggressive - especially Californian drivers.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Maybe they're finally realising how bad it is, main story on the NZ Herald App.

http://nzh.tw/10783288
Some wanker on SH1 the other day was doing a R/H trun AND was in the middle of the road where there was no area to turn right..what a dick head! Never seen so much arrogance and down right rudeness on the road in all my 53 years. It is the one thing I would dearly leave this poxy little island for. Me and my kids have been nearly killed by a number of utter shit heads who chose to drive out of their blind driveways like they are on a blues and twos call. Utter and complete morons!!!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Some wanker on SH1 the other day was doing a R/H trun AND was in the middle of the road where there was no area to turn right..what a dick head! Never seen so much arrogance and down right rudeness on the road in all my 53 years. It is the one thing I would dearly leave this poxy little island for. Me and my kids have been nearly killed by a number of utter shit heads who chose to drive out of their blind driveways like they are on a blues and twos call. Utter and complete morons!!!
I agree, I bet I've had more close calls in the last 8 months than the previous 18 years motoring and I catch the train to work.

But for some unknown reason they seem to think they're experts on the road. It's not even the speed that makes it worse as I find people drive way slower than back home, it's just incompetence, arrogance and total laziness.

What is involved in a kiwi driving test? I've seen very few learners, do people have driving lessons.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:53 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I can't recall ever seeing any driving instructors on the road-do they exist over here
My description of kiwi drivers is that they drive as if there are no other cars or road users around. If you want to pull out then just do so, why bother indicating, use the other side of the road, no need for courtesy etc etc - after all there wouldn't be anything like say another car, pedestrian or bike rider trying to share the same bit of tarmac would there
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd bought a Vespa before getting here, after a couple of weeks driving around Auckland it was back for sale. As you say, they drive like there's no other road users, not a care in the world.

It's no wonder killing yourself on the roads seems to be a national obsession.

Don't get me started on braindead youths shouting stuff out of cars when they drive past. Never witty, never funny and never anything clever. Normally just some garbled grunts.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:29 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I did seriously think of getting a bike and cycling to my nearest workplace but I decided that I wasn't ready to die
They open their car doors wide even when cars are going past, the chances of me being seen on a bike is slim. So I still drive even though I need the exercise, I don't like the idea of sporting tyre treadmarks across my vital organs, they're really not my style!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

dont forget the crossing of the yellow lines and overtaking on the wrong side of the rod around blind bends
and one hills where you cant see over the crest, that clever manoeuvre always makes me chuckle
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Persephone
You know, I can't recall ever seeing any driving instructors on the road-do they exist over here
My description of kiwi drivers is that they drive as if there are no other cars or road users around. If you want to pull out then just do so, why bother indicating, use the other side of the road, no need for courtesy etc etc - after all there wouldn't be anything like say another car, pedestrian or bike rider trying to share the same bit of tarmac would there
I passed my test in nz 25 years ago and when I took my test in an automatic car was told not to worry about the cars behind, by the test instructor, as it was their problem if they crashed into me ....then he asked me to do a hill start in an automatic, drive around the block , park in between 2 cars which I stuffed up on and back to the station ...it took about 10 mins tops and I passed .... I have been driving in the uk now for the last 12 years and even now on the odd occasion someone forgets to indicate 1st , turns then indicates I call them kiwi drivers ...my OH is in for a shock when we finally get to nz and he has to drive :-) hahahahaha
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Whilst not disagreeing for a second about the std of NZ driving (and roads!), the fatality statistics don't really give an accurate picture because there is a far higher proportion of non-drivers and public transport use in the UK. Many UK journeys are completed in slow-moving traffic.

Take London for example - other than pedestrians and cyclists, you'd have to try pretty hard to cause a fatality here. So that's about a fifth of the UK's population with hardly any fatal accidents for starters.

If you look at the fatality rates for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland I would think they'll be much closer to the Australasian ones.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:28 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the point already made - people drive as if there are no other cars on the road. In places like Auckland it is no longer the case, but in many other parts it is still true. You need to adjust your expectations accordingly.

Reminds me of the other day. I was on a windy road behind a large truck. The guy very kindly moved over the the edge of the road so I could pass him on a blind corner. I decided against it. LOL.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
It's not even the speed that makes it worse as I find people drive way slower than back home, it's just incompetence, arrogance and total laziness.
Yet another one with slapped wristies for four convictions of drunk driving.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10783882

Humiliating, my @r$e! I expect all his showbiz pals will be patting him on the back and calling him a legend!!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=barnsleymat;9883051]Maybe they're finally realising how bad it is, main story on the NZ Herald App.

Just drove from Paraparaumu to Paekok this morning, some guy nearly ran another car off the road when the overtaking lane merged, why? to get one car in front of course!! Idiot.
Same type of manouver that cost a man and his step daughter their lives and landed a family of 5 in hospital on SH1 just north of Para
NZ drivers are bad, I should know I passed my test here, ran a red light and still passed. (My driving has impproved since then)
Kaz
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I will be driving over much of the North Island in a couple of weeks times.

I hope things have improved since I was there a few months ago but I doubt it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.