Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Can lorry drivers emigrate to NZ?

Can lorry drivers emigrate to NZ?

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can lorry drivers emigrate to NZ?

Originally Posted by JonnyEmigrant
Does anyone have any information on this question?

I've found it on the Immediate Skill Shortage List and was wondering what British license would correspond with the NZ Class 5 driver.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply.
I am a retired contractor, yes they are short of drivers
because of the wages of course.
Now getting $50, 000 a year on a forty hr week is
unlikely unless you are on tankers.
But, the other people we are short of is digger
operators and I was paying $24 hr a couple
of years ago.
If you can get in the country as a driver, good stuff,
but once here keep all your options open.
There are owner-driver positions that will clear over
$50,000, but again be aware, if it sounds too good etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:23 am
Just Joined

JonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all your replies. This ambiguity is ludicrous. I'm afraid I can't throw everything to the table on a 'maybe'.

Good luck to all those seeking/living a Kiwi life.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

trukeruk is a jewel in the roughtrukeruk is a jewel in the roughtrukeruk is a jewel in the roughtrukeruk is a jewel in the rough

hello i am thinking about coming to newzeland for class 1 hgv work
but need to know if very light criminal convictions from over ten yrs ago wld get in my way please?

thanks for any help.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:29 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by trukeruk
hello i am thinking about coming to New Zealand for class 1 hgv work
but need to know if very light criminal convictions from over ten yrs ago would get in my way please?

thanks for any help.
How light are we talking here?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

trukeruk is a jewel in the roughtrukeruk is a jewel in the roughtrukeruk is a jewel in the roughtrukeruk is a jewel in the rough

handling goods of small value.10 years plus ago

?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:44 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I suppose if you have been a law abiding citizen since then and with clean police clearances along with an explanation to NZIS explaining your circumstances you should be able to meet New Zealand's good character requirement.

Good luck.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

thats cool thank you for your help..

do you think i could just turn up with a few quid and get established with out working visa and applie while there after finding good company to work for.
im to old for working visa! so do you have any advice on best way to approch this?

thanks
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:53 pm

thats cool thank you for your help..

do you think i could just turn up with a few quid and get established with out working visa and applie while there after finding good company to work for.
im to old for working visa! so do you have any advice on best way to approch this?

thanks
trukeruk,

You cannot legally work without a work permit. See my post on how to apply for a temporary work permit at ->
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506207

How old are you, anyway? There is technically no age limit as far as I know on the issuance of work permits. However there is a ceiling when it comes to applications for permanent residency.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

hi,im 33 and tryed looking in to this a while ago but was told no temp work permit at my age.id like to come and check it out but not want to apply for full res as iv never been there?been oz a few times in the past and worked way around and like what i saw,herd nz is much better? do you have any advice on best approach?? thanks for yr help
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

hi,im 33 and tryed looking in to this a while ago but was told no temp work permit at my age.id like to come and check it out but not want to apply for full res as iv never been there?been oz a few times in the past and worked way around and like what i saw,herd nz is much better? do you have any advice on best approach?? thanks for yr help
There is loads of work for truck drivers over here.In most cases they don't offer you a job until you are here thats because they have been let down so many times by UK drivers getting cold feet.We have 2 Scots driving for us who came on Holiday visas got the job once they were here and waited 3 weeks for work permit .As easy as that.What kind of work are you looking for and where.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

33! You're a spring chicken
You won't have any problems with your age.

Somebody must have told you about the young persons working holiday visa.
Not the same as a work visa.

Kip
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by angpaul
There is loads of work for truck drivers over here.In most cases they don't offer you a job until you are here thats because they have been let down so many times by UK drivers getting cold feet.We have 2 Scots driving for us who came on Holiday visas got the job once they were here and waited 3 weeks for work permit .As easy as that.What kind of work are you looking for and where.

Hi Angpaul,

My cousin who's a Scot is arriving in NZ in a couple of months. He is a truck/Bus driver. He seems to have several diff licences but someone on another site said the only one that seemed any good was C&E & his bus licences. Do you know which ones are required here? Also what is the pay like? Is there overtime for truckies?
Any help is appreciated.

Carol
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by annaerb
Hi Angpaul,

My cousin who's a Scot is arriving in NZ in a couple of months. He is a truck/Bus driver. He seems to have several diff licences but someone on another site said the only one that seemed any good was C&E & his bus licences. Do you know which ones are required here? Also what is the pay like? Is there overtime for truckies?
Any help is appreciated.

Carol
Carol earning $50,000 to 55,000 is easy enough if
you work the hrs (55 hrs a week) .
Plenty of overtime available because of a shortage
of drivers, but you will not see time and a half too often.

Bus licence is useful, but in the main a class five
(B trains at 44 tonne, truck and trailer) is the one
to have.

Yes,sadly transport firms still cut each others
throats to get the work.
Which is why wages are not what they should
be.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annaerb
Hi Angpaul,

Any help is appreciated.

Carol
I have my bus and truck licence but came on a work visa as a truck driver so if i changed to bus driving i would have to get a variation of visa.Overtime is available at the same rate.I do approx 60 hours a week $18.50 p/hYou can drive on your UK licence for 1 year then need to sit a simple theory test
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Angpaul,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

John said he normally works 60+ hours a week so is hoping to maybe do the same here.

How do these licenses compare? Are they any good for Truck driving here?

John has 10 years experience driving buses, Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving Card, he holds Licences in Class A = Motorcycle B and E = Car and Trailer , CE= Heavy Goods , C1E = Drive all HT vehicles including B trains , Buses Class D = Normal buses, Class DE = bus and trailer, D1E = Bendy buses. All bus licences with P category as well as a disabled carrying licence for mini buses. He also holds his SVQ level 2 certificate in Road Passenger Transport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.