Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:00 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I don't know her and if she said that before or after those comments as OP said shes young and happy and just wants her friends to be happy with her, if they weren't I could see her saying that comment being hurt.

I know I never said that when I moved back (I thought I was back for good) but I got all that and the hate US comments (from my OH family) only my family have positive comments to help me here...its sad. Glad I have a couple of friends not like that.

Maybe all cultures are like that and express it in different ways - I don't know but it is sad when people can't be happy for you even if you completely disagree with them and their choices - its just mean and petty IMO.

But I guess the only way to show others how you would like others to act is to lead by example.

Now I sound all self-righteous and pious
No you don't, but would you like to throw your hat in the presidential race ring?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:18 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
No you don't, but would you like to throw your hat in the presidential race ring?

Thanks Cindy I needed a laugh
(I have gotten really serious these past two weeks )
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:33 pm

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sambapink
Some of your know that my Daughter is in the UK for a week (she's the one that had a nightmare on Virgin Flight - 'suspicious sick person' on board!!)
Anyway..as any 18 year old would.. she has completely stretched herself all over the place to see all the friends and family that she can..

She calls me this morning almost in tears saying that she is sick of people saying things like 'oh its not ATM, its cashpoint, your not american ya know' or 'its not Gas its petrol, tut...' Then people saying " so whats it like in California?" and then she tells them they are like "yeah ok, don't rub it in" :curse: WTF?? Do they think she's doing it to show off?? Do they have any idea what its like to live in another country??
What do people expect??? Would they be happier if she was having a terrible time over here?? Mostly I have to say its her friends of the same age.. and yes its an immaturatey and jealously issue i'm sure.. but jeeezzzz ... Some family friends have also made comments!

Ofcourse she has picked up on the slang... infact all 3 of my kids have made an effort to use their friends terminology because they were sick of being picked up for their English expressions!!!

On one hand people are getting annoyed cos she can't spend as much time with them as hoped, and on the other hand their getting narked with her cos shes loving her new life and using Americanisms...

She was so happy to be home on a visit.. (although she never wants to live there again ) and I wanted it to be a really positive visit for her,
I just don't get people sometimes, truely I don't.. What's wrong with just being happy for some???

But s'ok I'm back in UK friday... I'll be telling some home truths and no mistaking

Interesting, Brits being intolerant and inconsiderate ? Would never have expected that, after reading some of the posts on this board. Sure you can provide her with a full basket of negatives off this board to please her friends ! Sorry she has been pasted with the 'ugly American' label and without fault. Hope she can see past it and enjoy her visit, any chance she can blame it on Bush?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is I'm sorry. Going home is a strange experience for all of us in some ways. You have received some good advise. Part of it might be a lot of Brits tell themselves not all Americans have the CA beach lifestyle so it's not all that really. Then your daughter goes and has just that and they don't know what to say!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:47 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of your know that my Daughter is in the UK for a week (she's the one that had a nightmare on Virgin Flight - 'suspicious sick person' on board!!)
Anyway..as any 18 year old would.. she has completely stretched herself all over the place to see all the friends and family that she can..

She calls me this morning almost in tears saying that she is sick of people saying things like 'oh its not ATM, its cashpoint, your not american ya know' or 'its not Gas its petrol, tut...' Then people saying " so whats it like in California?" and then she tells them they are like "yeah ok, don't rub it in" :curse: WTF?? Do they think she's doing it to show off?? Do they have any idea what its like to live in another country??

What do people expect??? Would they be happier if she was having a terrible time over here?? Mostly I have to say its her friends of the same age.. and yes its an immaturatey and jealously issue i'm sure.. but jeeezzzz ... Some family friends have also made comments!

Ofcourse she has picked up on the slang... infact all 3 of my kids have made an effort to use their friends terminology because they were sick of being picked up for their English expressions!!!

On one hand people are getting annoyed cos she can't spend as much time with them as hoped, and on the other hand their getting narked with her cos shes loving her new life and using Americanisms...

She was so happy to be home on a visit.. (although she never wants to live there again ) and I wanted it to be a really positive visit for her,
I just don't get people sometimes, truely I don't.. What's wrong with just being happy for some???

But s'ok I'm back in UK friday... I'll be telling some home truths and no mistaking
If mixing with kids what can you expect? They have a mentality all of their own. Perhaps she takes jibes a little too seriously. Tell her to ignore 'em and be herself, regardless. ...

---
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
All I can say is I'm sorry. Going home is a strange experience for all of us in some ways. You have received some good advise. Part of it might be a lot of Brits tell themselves not all Americans have the CA beach lifestyle so it's not all that really. Then your daughter goes and has just that and they don't know what to say!
Thanks Bevinva, appreciate that.. Honestly I'm on your side when it comes to 'bigging' up the UK.. I miss home dearly And I genuinely hope my daughter wants to come back 'home' when we eventually go, but honestly.. i couldn't blame her if she didn't
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:44 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
exactly!
I'll drink to that with a superb glass of Californian Merlot!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
ooohh.. I'm drinking a lovely glass of California Chardonnay right now called Jenica Peak... blooming lovely it is!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
but I'm not a fu**ing idiot, yet.
I'd have to say you already are.....but then again, that's just my perception on the whole thing.....
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:19 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
some people have no taste
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:35 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

some people have no taste
Are you the new Elvira?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:35 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'd have to say you already are.....but then again, that's just my perception on the whole thing.....
"What good are we for but to make sport of our neighbours? And then to be laughed at in our turn." -Mr Bennett (Pride and Prejudice)
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:45 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Well just to carry on from original post.. Hubby just came in from work (skiving again !!) Anyway I was telling him about it all.. and he was saying that one of his best mates has stopped emailing him. This mate and family (long time friends, his OH is my best mate) were supposed to be coming out in August. They aren't now.. We weren't entirely sure why. I have a love hate relationship with this fella. He is one of those who feels its his opinion or no opinion, his way or noway kinda thing. Has always been a bit jealous of the relationship I have with his wife .. Anyway, he made it known before we left that he felt california was 'soul less'.. which was nice considering the huge step we were about to make.. I have gotten the impression when talking to his wife that he's very unimpressed by what we're up to. He'd be the type to slag America off to us. Anyway, my poor OH, unaware of whats going on (as always ) has been happily emailing a group of his mates back home, giving them updates, sending pics etc.. mostly chatting about how rubbish Arsenal have been playing to be fair.. and he said today that this mate had just stopped replying to emails... ( OH was only sending one a month or so). Makes me sad.. My OH just wants to keep intouch with the fella, they have been mates since nursery school!... Again.. why can't he just be happy for his mate? .. My OH is happy for him, even if he is a Narrow minded so and so!!

I think they aren't coming because i think it would be too much too bare for him to say he enjoyed it... !! (or am i just being cruel to say that )

And as a footnote.. it was his 17 yr old daughter who made some of the comments to my daughter

We have got some really lovely friends too... Don't want you lot thinking we only have 'orrible ones
I think that says more about your DH's mate than it does about you. Don't worry about it.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:51 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Are you the new Elvira?
i think she likes californian wine, french or chilean for me
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

i think she likes californian wine, french or chilean for me

Okay........... a nice old vine zinfandel maybe........ but merlot................. chardonnay.........???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.