Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:11 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Originally Posted by sambapink
What do people expect??? Would they be happier if she was having a terrible time over here?? Mostly I have to say its her friends of the same age.. and yes its an immaturatey and jealously issue i'm sure.. but jeeezzzz ... Some family friends have also made comments!
I think that's exactly what it is! I guess she is finding out who her true friends back in UK really are....

I hope this doesn't spoil her visit too much, eh?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:12 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean.. Just infuriates me! Why pick up on the bad stuff? Honestly I wanna say to people.. ' you can say nice things, ya know even how lovely it must be to be experiancing new and exciting things... its actually quite good for the soul to be NICE!'
I hear you! I don't know why it is - I put it down to jealousy or maybe its the British mentality of not wanting to be positive etc - I don't know why.. but I got it too it is annoying.
There are a few people that are genuinely happy when someone does well - shame they are of the fewer kind.

I'm not saying the US equivalent isn't jealous they just seem to express it differently like listen but boast about their job/life etc.

Both is annoying!

I remember watching American Idol and Simon Cowell saying at the auditions - "you Americans seem to be genuinely happy when others do well - we are not like that"
I remember being astonished at that comment as it doesn't put the UK in a good light - at least we all aren't like that (British) shame there is a lot of them though.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I hear you! I don't know why it is - I put it down to jealousy or maybe its the British mentality of not wanting to be positive etc - I don't know why.. but I got it too it is annoying...........
Hm.

Maybe the fact that she 'never want to live there again' hasn't gone down too well...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

janet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hm.

Maybe the fact that she 'never want to live there again' hasn't gone down too well...
Yes, especially if that's the place these people have lived all their life. I left Liverpool about three years ago and I never ever want to go back for good but always have a good time on visits. There'll always be people taking the mick out you cos you live in America but it's rarely intended to be nasty so just take it in good humour.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Hm.

errrrr............she's 18 years old, she's just talking like any other teenager that is enjoying their life right now and if any of her adult family members in the UK can't understand that then they dont know much about teenagers.........
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:24 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Some of your know that my Daughter is in the UK for a week (she's the one that had a nightmare on Virgin Flight - 'suspicious sick person' on board!!)
Anyway..as any 18 year old would.. she has completely stretched herself all over the place to see all the friends and family that she can..

She calls me this morning almost in tears saying that she is sick of people saying things like 'oh its not ATM, its cashpoint, your not american ya know' or 'its not Gas its petrol, tut...' Then people saying " so whats it like in California?" and then she tells them they are like "yeah ok, don't rub it in" :curse: WTF?? Do they think she's doing it to show off?? Do they have any idea what its like to live in another country??

What do people expect??? Would they be happier if she was having a terrible time over here?? Mostly I have to say its her friends of the same age.. and yes its an immaturatey and jealously issue i'm sure.. but jeeezzzz ... Some family friends have also made comments!

Ofcourse she has picked up on the slang... infact all 3 of my kids have made an effort to use their friends terminology because they were sick of being picked up for their English expressions!!!

On one hand people are getting annoyed cos she can't spend as much time with them as hoped, and on the other hand their getting narked with her cos shes loving her new life and using Americanisms...

She was so happy to be home on a visit.. (although she never wants to live there again ) and I wanted it to be a really positive visit for her,
I just don't get people sometimes, truely I don't.. What's wrong with just being happy for some???

But s'ok I'm back in UK friday... I'll be telling some home truths and no mistaking
ABSOLUTELY typical experience - for me at least.

I think once you become an expat, you can never 'go home again.'

It broadens your horizons. You become a bigger, more rounded person. Lots of stay-at-home Brits I met (who think jet-setting is a five-day trip to Benidorm) feel petty and insecure and want to drag their ex-pat pals down a peg or two in that curious way Brits tend to do.

I hope your daughter was able to overlook the few stupid comments, though, and still had a good time.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I hear you! I don't know why it is - I put it down to jealousy or maybe its the British mentality of not wanting to be positive etc - I don't know why.. but I got it too it is annoying.
There are a few people that are genuinely happy when someone does well - shame they are of the fewer kind.

I'm not saying the US equivalent isn't jealous they just seem to express it differently like listen but boast about their job/life etc.

Both is annoying!

I remember watching American Idol and Simon Cowell saying at the auditions - "you Americans seem to be genuinely happy when others do well - we are not like that"
I remember being astonished at that comment as it doesn't put the UK in a good light - at least we all aren't like that (British) shame there is a lot of them though.
Oh yeah.. I'm not for one second relating it to being English.. just Human Nature! I've always taught my kids that they should never let their jealously get in the way of being happy for someone - this comes in particulary handy when 'Johnny' in class gets the latest top notch mobile phone

I guess i'm just a bit annoyed that she has flown all that way to see everyone and they have haven't been so thoughtful in there comments to her... But hey she's a big girl she'll deal with it, another life lesson, But me being the mum - I feel her pain
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:25 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janet82
Yes, especially if that's the place these people have lived all their life. I left Liverpool about three years ago and I never ever want to go back for good but always have a good time on visits. There'll always be people taking the mick out you cos you live in America but it's rarely intended to be nasty so just take it in good humour.
exactly and also i make sure i switch and use the british words and not american.....she's just 18yrs old and will learn, it takes time.

btw where are you from in liverpool?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:27 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

But hey she's a big girl she'll deal with it, another life lesson, But me being the mum - I feel her pain
i know, it's tough being a mum sometimes
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

How sad...
I agree

OK - //Old fogeymode on.....

Maybe it's time for daughter number one to start learning how to manipulate conversations in order to help her friends and relatives become more aware that there is a bigger world out there. I know that I couldn't have done this at her age, but if someone had helped me out with a few suggestions, then maybe I could have had the confidence to try...I was a little narrow mined in my teens...to say the least!

I use phrases that start with "It's interesting that....."

eg When someone was taking the pee out of Americans using "fall" rather than "autumn", this became an opportunity for a language and history lesson. "It's interesting how the Americans use the word "fall". This is an English word, a word which was in use in England at the time that the US was colonised. So, I guess we could say that it's an Old English word. Meanwhile, language in England continued to evolve - as it has all over the world - and "we" started using the French version.

For other random situations - especially politics in my case - I'm clueless!
"It's interesting that you say that. I don't really know all that much about the eg democrats vs republicans.Could you summarise for me what each party believes regarding: (insert choice here eg health, small business, research, war, environment)".

Listen, and then follow up with a few questions that draw out the good & the bad in the eyes of that other person. "Oh, so Bush's party believes A, B & C. What in your mind are the pros and cons of this situation? And how would that affect the teenager/retiree/working mum etc"
.... //Old fogeymode off//

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Mar 18th 2008 at 6:33 am.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
ABSOLUTELY typical experience - for me at least.

I think once you become an expat, you can never 'go home again.'

It broadens your horizons. You become a bigger, more rounded person. Lots of stay-at-home Brits I met (who think jet-setting is a five-day trip to Benidorm) feel petty and insecure and want to drag their ex-pat pals down a peg or two in that curious way Brits tend to do.

I hope your daughter was able to overlook the few stupid comments, though, and still had a good time.
What nonsense.

For some of us it leads to a greater appreciation of our home country.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Hm.

Elvira... you seem to have picked up on that comment... Let me clarify for you.. My daughter is a sweet, articulate young lady... Not one that would insult someone in their own country by telling them she NEVER wanted to live there again... She is an 18 year old girl who went to college in Harlow and worked part time in a Gym.. She now goes to College in California and spends her weekends on the beach... Of course she wants to live here FOREVER... shes 18!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
errrrr............she's 18 years old, she's just talking like any other teenager that is enjoying their life right now and if any of her adult family members in the UK can't understand that then they dont know much about teenagers.........
Thanks so much
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:38 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
V true. She is probably just wanting to share her experiences with her mates back home. Its probably jealousy. Her real mates hopefully will not be so narrow minded.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:41 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
exactly and also i make sure i switch and use the british words and not american.....she's just 18yrs old and will learn, it takes time.
This! That's the key. I always try and fit in with those around me around and I can't think of a time where I've fed someone else's little green monster. If you can, use the local lingo.

I bet jealousy is a significant factor in this affair. I honestly do believe that a lot of people in the UK are resentful of others being successful. I hear such comments from members of my own family about "rich" people, as if these people just had it handed to them. That's one of bigger differences between the US and the UK. Over here, success is aspirational. Over there, success implies you screwed someone over.

I have one question... does she, like, you know, like, use, like, Valley Girl Speak?
Like with the maps, and the Iraq like such as.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Mar 18th 2008 at 6:46 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.