Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

janet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nice
Default Re: Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Originally Posted by TruBrit

btw where are you from in liverpool?
I'm from West Derby. Going back at the end of the month for a while. My sister told me the weather's crap at the moment...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:44 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
ABSOLUTELY typical experience - for me at least.
I think once you become an expat, you can never 'go home again.'
It broadens your horizons. You become a bigger, more rounded person. Lots of stay-at-home Brits I met (who think jet-setting is a five-day trip to Benidorm) feel petty and insecure and want to drag their ex-pat pals down a peg or two in that curious way Brits tend to do.
I hope your daughter was able to overlook the few stupid comments, though, and still had a good time.
Originally Posted by Elvira
What nonsense.
For some of us it leads to a greater appreciation of our home country.
No, Roland is correct. But its semantics here - thats the error.
Living away from home in an adopted home changes you.
If you haven't been changed, then you have lived in a fishbowl.

You cannot erase the past and surely the experience either adds to you or it embitters you.

You are correct, tho, that living away makes you appereciate the place more. I have a mate there who is envious of the travelling I have done. I am envious of his "unquestioning existance". So we agreed to each be jealous.

High tide and green grass.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put another slant on this, I remember similar things happening to me the first time I went back to the UK (also at 18) after I'd been in the States for six months. My friends were a little off with me, constantly trying to remind me that I was a Brit and making fun of me (could it be because i was being a little obnoxious about living in Calif with a pool, sun, etc!!!!). Come to find out years later, when having a heart to heart with couple of same friends (who by the way are still my mates 20 years later) that they weren't jealous, they were really sad. One of them was convinced that I was never coming home (she was almost right; it did take a while) and just retaliated as all immature 18yo's do by pushing me away before I pushed her away.

Something to think about. They may not be doing this to be hateful. They may just be trying to hold onto someone they think is getting to be too different from them.

T
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:50 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC
Just to put another slant on this, I remember similar things happening to me the first time I went back to the UK (also at 18) after I'd been in the States for six months. My friends were a little off with me, constantly trying to remind me that I was a Brit and making fun of me (could it be because i was being a little obnoxious about living in Calif with a pool, sun, etc!!!!). Come to find out years later, when having a heart to heart with couple of same friends (who by the way are still my mates 20 years later) that they weren't jealous, they were really sad. One of them was convinced that I was never coming home (she was almost right; it did take a while) and just retaliated as all immature 18yo's do by pushing me away before I pushed her away.

Something to think about. They may not be doing this to be hateful. They may just be trying to hold onto someone they think is getting to be too different from them.

T
Some good posts in this thread. And, yes, I agree with Roland and Xebedee about home never being home again. It's just slightly different. And, by the way, thank God for getting rid of that ugly avatar Elvira.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Moving away from home has made me appreciate it much more.. no question.. I had 38 years of experiance, life, family and friends there. And I will return home. I sincerely hope (cos im selfish) that my daughter comes back with us.. But could I blame her for wanting to stay?.. Nope

I hear your comments about how to 'manipulate' a conversation so you come across in the right way.. and ofcourse this is something she is still learning.. But lets be honest.. its not easy for her to make her life sound drab.. cos it ain't.. and maybe thats what they wanna hear?? Shame on them if they do..!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:54 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janet82
I'm from West Derby. Going back at the end of the month for a while. My sister told me the weather's crap at the moment...
whats's the weather got to do with anything, it's england

i left maghull, dropped out of college when i was 18 to work in sth of england and now that's home for me. i rarely visit l'pool as sadly my rellies have passed away except for one uncle who lives in garston. last time i was there was 2 yrs ago and wow had liverpool changed and for the better, it needed to. lots of £££ been poured into the city, well it is the capital of culture

have a great time regardless of the weather

<note to myself> always amazes me how the brits are so hung up about the weather when there's nowt anyone can do about it
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC

T
Thanks for that Tara.. Its certainly puts a different light on things.. if thats how they are feeling... I'll tell my daughter what you said.. maybe she'll get a chance to have a chat with her friends before she returns.. All I want is for her time there to be a positive experiance.. And for the most part she has had a blast!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

It may not be the case, but it can't hurt to ask. Course, they could just be jealous!!! Dang that little green-eyed monster.

Last edited by TaraC; Mar 18th 2008 at 7:02 am. Reason: left a word out - fingers going faster than brain
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:03 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
No, Roland is correct. But its semantics here - thats the error........
Excuse me, but I think I know when I'm home. Where I belong.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:07 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

She's not the same girl she was when she left. Teens have to reestablish their pecking order.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:11 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
You become a bigger, more rounded person.
Thats certainly what happened to me, in the literal sense....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:13 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Thats certainly what happened to me, in the literal sense....
You're not the only one... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482179
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
She's not the same girl she was when she left. Teens have to reestablish their pecking order.
Yup ur right... and thank goodness.. she was a right pain before we left
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:38 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Excuse me, but I think I know when I'm home. Where I belong.
Wasn't suggesting you don't.
Or aren't.

Pity you can't see the fine point tho.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:38 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

When I go to England I always revert back to saying petrol, the shops, pavement, autumn, and so on. When my family come to see me they don't change their vocabulary to fit in with Americans!!

My two children have normal/generic sounding names. When I was home on a trip, when they were toddlers, a friend said "I like your children's names, but why did you choose American names?" One of them was born before I even came to the USA, and the other has a Scottish sounding name. I thought my mum was going to go ballistic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.