Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why or Why do they react like that?!!

Some of your know that my Daughter is in the UK for a week (she's the one that had a nightmare on Virgin Flight - 'suspicious sick person' on board!!)
Anyway..as any 18 year old would.. she has completely stretched herself all over the place to see all the friends and family that she can..

She calls me this morning almost in tears saying that she is sick of people saying things like 'oh its not ATM, its cashpoint, your not american ya know' or 'its not Gas its petrol, tut...' Then people saying " so whats it like in California?" and then she tells them they are like "yeah ok, don't rub it in" :curse: WTF?? Do they think she's doing it to show off?? Do they have any idea what its like to live in another country??

What do people expect??? Would they be happier if she was having a terrible time over here?? Mostly I have to say its her friends of the same age.. and yes its an immaturatey and jealously issue i'm sure.. but jeeezzzz ... Some family friends have also made comments!

Ofcourse she has picked up on the slang... infact all 3 of my kids have made an effort to use their friends terminology because they were sick of being picked up for their English expressions!!!

On one hand people are getting annoyed cos she can't spend as much time with them as hoped, and on the other hand their getting narked with her cos shes loving her new life and using Americanisms...

She was so happy to be home on a visit.. (although she never wants to live there again ) and I wanted it to be a really positive visit for her,
I just don't get people sometimes, truely I don't.. What's wrong with just being happy for some???

But s'ok I'm back in UK friday... I'll be telling some home truths and no mistaking
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:51 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why or Why do they react like that?!!

jealousy #1 ...don't let it bother you, peeps just don't know, haven't a clue.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister's like that. She'll start telling me "Your President Bush ..blah blah.. warmonger... imperialist.. blah blah"
I want to say, "Yes. I DO live in America, but I'm not a fu**ing idiot, yet. If you want to tell me something, tell me something I don't know."
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...jealousy. We've been through similar experiences...it's unfortunate that it happens but you learn to grow a thick skin over the years. Just try to keep smiling and let them have their say and then come home and sit in the sun with a large glass of Californian wine !
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
"Yes. I DO live in America, but I'm not a fu**ing idiot, yet.

Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My sister's like that. She'll start telling me "Your President Bush ..blah blah.. warmonger... imperialist.. blah blah"
I want to say, "Yes. I DO live in America, but I'm not a fu**ing idiot, yet. If you want to tell me something, tell me something I don't know."
I know what you mean.. Just infuriates me! Why pick up on the bad stuff? Honestly I wanna say to people.. ' you can say nice things, ya know even how lovely it must be to be experiancing new and exciting things... its actually quite good for the soul to be NICE!'
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lisa67
I agree...jealousy. We've been through similar experiences...it's unfortunate that it happens but you learn to grow a thick skin over the years. Just try to keep smiling and let them have their say and then come home and sit in the sun with a large glass of Californian wine !
californian wine

french please
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sambapink
I know what you mean.. Just infuriates me! Why pick up on the bad stuff? Honestly I wanna say to people.. ' you can say nice things, ya know even how lovely it must be to be experiancing new and exciting things... its actually quite good for the soul to be NICE!'

it's hard for peeps to say things like that, esp if they are a tiny bit jealous.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:04 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Some of your know that my Daughter is in the UK for a week (she's the one that had a nightmare on Virgin Flight - 'suspicious sick person' on board!!)
Anyway..as any 18 year old would.. she has completely stretched herself all over the place to see all the friends and family that she can..

She calls me this morning almost in tears saying that she is sick of people saying things like 'oh its not ATM, its cashpoint, your not american ya know' or 'its not Gas its petrol, tut...' Then people saying " so whats it like in California?" and then she tells them they are like "yeah ok, don't rub it in" :curse: WTF?? Do they think she's doing it to show off?? Do they have any idea what its like to live in another country??

What do people expect??? Would they be happier if she was having a terrible time over here?? Mostly I have to say its her friends of the same age.. and yes its an immaturatey and jealously issue i'm sure.. but jeeezzzz ... Some family friends have also made comments!

Ofcourse she has picked up on the slang... infact all 3 of my kids have made an effort to use their friends terminology because they were sick of being picked up for their English expressions!!!

On one hand people are getting annoyed cos she can't spend as much time with them as hoped, and on the other hand their getting narked with her cos shes loving her new life and using Americanisms...

She was so happy to be home on a visit.. (although she never wants to live there again ) and I wanted it to be a really positive visit for her,
I just don't get people sometimes, truely I don't.. What's wrong with just being happy for some???

But s'ok I'm back in UK friday... I'll be telling some home truths and no mistaking
How sad...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira
How sad...
Well if I was 18 and was having the life she's having at the moment, I think I would feel the same... Early days though...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
How sad...
never say never eh
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

janet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
californian wine

french please
I had a bottle of Californian wine which only cost $2 the other day and really enjoyed it....... and I'm not afraid to admit it!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by janet82
I had a bottle of Californian wine which only cost $2 the other day and really enjoyed it....... and I'm not afraid to admit it!
I did too
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:08 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
never say never eh
I'm sure she'll realise in due course...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by janet82

good for you......i much prefer the french or chilean wines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.