Why do they bother?

Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:10 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do they bother?

Originally Posted by FPM
That's not quite accurate. Well it is in that we were beaten, but they didn't beat a top team. Australia played well and no mistke. But it was against an experimental side, and Eriksson had other things on his mind (bigger tournaments).

I lay the blame at Eriksson's feet. Reason being he didn't have the cultural/historical background to realise how much we love to beat the Aussies (and how few times it actually happens). To him it was just another friendly, to the English players it was a bit of a Mickey Mouse game. To the fans it was much more.

I'd say I'm pretty sport obsessed, but only with the sports I'm interested and partake in (cycle racing and triathlon, and old hand at motorcycle racing). The dingos seems to just want to back winners. They generally lack the sophistication to understand a game that requires real long term tactics (like what it takes to qualify for the WC every 4yrs). They are very fickle bandwagonners and jump on anything that looks like winning, rather than than have a passion for sport, they have a passion for winning. Not a bad thing in itself. But they are the world's worst losers (and winners).

I've given up watching the World Game SBS as I can't stand the anti English bashing that that idiot Hungarian moron Les Murray dishes out. When was the last time the 'Mighty Magyars' won anything? And Foster ain't much better. He constantly slags a system that brought him some fairly decent wealth, although he is more balanced in his views. It was better when they had Francis Awaratefe on, but he was sacked for criticising Australian football.

Eriksson did the right thing in experimenting with the team he just didn't understand what it meant to us. As we say in triathlon, never experiment with your nutrition in an 'A race', and this match was certainly not an A race for the English.

That's no excuse though, we played badly, they played well. It just didn't mean anything. Incidentally after the Rugby WC I was in nZ on a business trip and I can't tell you how many Kiwis came up to me and contratulated me on a great team etc. They seemed genuinely pleased that it was a cracking tournamemnt all round.

Made me even prouder to be English. I'm copping a bit of flak over at my triathlon forum at the moment, but as I told them:

'I don't care if England comes last in the play off for the Best of the Crap trophy in every tournament devised by man, bulldog Red and White runs through my veins and always will. Supporting winners is easy, supporting England takes real faith

I suspect that the Kiwis were genuinely pleased the Australia lost! I know i was!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:16 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I suspect that the Kiwis were genuinely pleased the Australia lost! I know i was!

Well I did think that as well, but for the purposes of this story, let's think the other way
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM
Well I did think that as well, but for the purposes of this story, let's think the other way

Riiiight! Got ya! nudge nudge wink wink! Say no more!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
You should post this in the Oz forum too as it equally applies to all the folk who hate the UK, and want to blame their unhappiness on the UK. Why do they waste their time slagging off the UK and the people who want to live there?

Not everyone who doesn't want to live in Australia "blames" the country. Most people have perfectly valid and rational reasons for not wanting to live there, and can say so with resorting to being abusive. People need to use the MBTTUK forum to discuss and validate those reasons and should be allowed to expess an opinion without being stalked, criticised, or abused.
couldn't agree more with you on this one!
I don't know what it is but the more they try to convince us that UK is crap, the more i long to be there!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:02 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I don't know what it is but the more they try to convince us that UK is crap, the more i long to be there!

That's the Daily Mail anti-venom kicking in
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louise4
Whilst we were out in oz we spent time with OH sisters 'friends' who were true blue bloody Australians . The hubby of the couple was a complete t**ser and all he kept saying was I'd like to thank your ancestors for sending my great great great granddad out here to gods own country. it's the best place on earth to live yudda yudda yudda' and then once we had told them of the decision to return tot he uk we had (please read in a twangy aussie voice hehe) 'why the bladdy hell would ya wanna do a thing like that, you'll get home and regret it. you'll wanna get on the first plane back. it's dirty, it's overcrowded it's this that and the other'.

Now i really couldn't give two dead ducks for what anybody else thinks, but i think it just sums up what people here are trying to say about the (sometimes) aussie attitude.
If i were talking to an aussie about them returning home i would never have the audacity to say anything like that to them. i have some very low opinions on life in oz. but they are my opinions and would never try to inflict my views on anybody. everyone can have an opinion, it is just the way it is put across and also how far people go with their views without taking into consideration that they are in fact telling people that they want to live in the worlds biggest shithole (which it isn't, the uk that is) and that it is their fault for not trying
We gave it our all and after being in oz did we notice the dirt and grime, the over populated streets and crime.
Nope, we noticed we had freedom, freedom from oz, we could travel anywhere for a few quid, we noticed that everyone had different ways of doing things and thats fine, it's interesting and we noticed that people in the uk have manners when it come to other people choices and accept them for what they are, other people decisions based on those people themselves.
I hope my sis-in-laws friend gets his head out of arse soon or he might never be seen again
Excellent post couldn't have put it better myself,All the best for christmas and new year
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:22 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
Whilst we were out in oz we spent time with OH sisters 'friends' who were true blue bloody Australians . The hubby of the couple was a complete t**ser and all he kept saying was I'd like to thank your ancestors for sending my great great great granddad out here to gods own country. it's the best place on earth to live yudda yudda yudda' and then once we had told them of the decision to return tot he uk we had (please read in a twangy aussie voice hehe) 'why the bladdy hell would ya wanna do a thing like that, you'll get home and regret it. you'll wanna get on the first plane back. it's dirty, it's overcrowded it's this that and the other'.

Now i really couldn't give two dead ducks for what anybody else thinks, but i think it just sums up what people here are trying to say about the (sometimes) aussie attitude.
If i were talking to an aussie about them returning home i would never have the audacity to say anything like that to them. i have some very low opinions on life in oz. but they are my opinions and would never try to inflict my views on anybody. everyone can have an opinion, it is just the way it is put across and also how far people go with their views without taking into consideration that they are in fact telling people that they want to live in the worlds biggest shithole (which it isn't, the uk that is) and that it is their fault for not trying
We gave it our all and after being in oz did we notice the dirt and grime, the over populated streets and crime.
Nope, we noticed we had freedom, freedom from oz, we could travel anywhere for a few quid, we noticed that everyone had different ways of doing things and thats fine, it's interesting and we noticed that people in the uk have manners when it come to other people choices and accept them for what they are, other people decisions based on those people themselves.
I hope my sis-in-laws friend gets his head out of arse soon or he might never be seen again
Great post - well said. We wouldn't dream of calling someone else's country to their face. I find it very rude and insulting when people do that. At first I sort of went along with them as you do but now I always defend my country.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting conversation with a lady in the office today. She's in her mid thirties, intelligent lady. I was briefing her after a meeting to launch a new system for booking travel for Queensland Government staff, whereby everything will be done online, and will be cordinated by a major international travel firm (not sure whether they are American or British, but I remember they were big in the UK.)
Her only concern was - not whether it would be more cost effective, nor more time consuming, or any of the things we would've discussed with the same situation in the UK. Her comment was "well, I think its disgraceful, we shouldn't be allowed to use a company thats not totally Australian, its a betrayal of our nation." I pointed out its a streamlining of an inefficient system and will save money in the long run, but she said thats irrelevant and its a national disgrace! She would prefer to spend an hour on the phone to Qantas in a queue, than be able to book at the press of a button, rather than use a non-Australian company
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Interesting conversation with a lady in the office today. She's in her mid thirties, intelligent lady. I was briefing her after a meeting to launch a new system for booking travel for Queensland Government staff, whereby everything will be done online, and will be cordinated by a major international travel firm (not sure whether they are American or British, but I remember they were big in the UK.)
Her only concern was - not whether it would be more cost effective, nor more time consuming, or any of the things we would've discussed with the same situation in the UK. Her comment was "well, I think its disgraceful, we shouldn't be allowed to use a company thats not totally Australian, its a betrayal of our nation." I pointed out its a streamlining of an inefficient system and will save money in the long run, but she said thats irrelevant and its a national disgrace! She would prefer to spend an hour on the phone to Qantas in a queue, than be able to book at the press of a button, rather than use a non-Australian company
Ridiculous!! just like an advert about Paracetamol...telling us not to buy other products made outside of OZ, but only to buy OZ own made..keep it all in the country and forget everybody else
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I understand patriotism but not at all costs. Silly moo.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

She would prefer to spend an hour on the phone to Qantas in a queue, than be able to book at the press of a button, rather than use a non-Australian company
Didn't Qantas recently announce plans to move their call centres to India, employing Indian staff, and axeing several hundred jobs in Australia!?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:14 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Didn't Qantas recently announce plans to move their call centres to India, employing Indian staff, and axeing several hundred jobs in Australia!?
Quite... Put that to her and see how she feels...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:25 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Why do they bother?

Originally Posted by FPM
I've given up watching the World Game SBS as I can't stand the anti English bashing that that idiot Hungarian moron Les Murray dishes out. When was the last time the 'Mighty Magyars' won anything? And Foster ain't much better. He constantly slags a system that brought him some fairly decent wealth, although he is more balanced in his views. It was better when they had Francis Awaratefe on, but he was sacked for criticising Australian football.
Simon Hills not on it any more is he? I met him when I was over there. Nice bloke. I'd imagine now he's gone, "The World game" (arf!) is probably just one anti-English onslaught. I love how that oily idiot Foster belives that anyone with a Brazillian/Dutch/French passport must be a tactical genius, and all the Aussies have to do is hand them Aussie passports and Australia will start churning out hundreds of Ronaldos. I also like how anyone in Australian football coaching who has a vague connection to Britain is regarded as British and not Australian, and therefore responsbile for Australia's abysmal footballing record. If Australia hadn't been in the football wilderness for decades they'd all be regarded as true blue Aussies.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by paulrachel
This is so true.I have become more English since I have been here and mainly because of their I'm the greatest attidude.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
Quite... Put that to her and see how she feels...
That should liven up todays staff meeting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.