Wikiposts

Why Do people Jump ship?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:05 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Do people Jump ship?

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
What happened to the cat fight?
What cat fight? You must have got mixed up Joules. Get back on the vino and behave.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hutch;7279896]Interesting thread . You say, "It's funny how many people want to leave Britain because they perceive that's such a bad place to be." How do you know that's why 'so many' people want to leave Britain? Is it based on the occasional anecdotal chat with someone, your general impression of opinion on this forum - or a large independent survey of some sort?

To be fair another one of the reasons I left the UK was that there was sooooooooo much crap happening on my doorstep literally I guess I too perceived that the UK had lost its way morally..well I guess after 4 years in NZ I realise that NZ too has all the shite the UK has..and maybe a bit more besides. The BIG difference is that NO shit EVER lands on my doorstep here in NZ and we have that thing that is soooo illusive in the UK..empty roads, empty beaches and a view of mountains that was not evident in central Northampton from my back garden.

I wholly accept that the UK is a great, great place for many a reason..I just don't want to live there anymore.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:08 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
What cat fight? You must have got mixed up Joules. Get back on the vino and behave.
Vino always goes down best when in the company of a volatile woman.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:10 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Vino always goes down best when in the company of a volatile woman.
Shame you're in Spain then!
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Much better work ethic and because of them, my business could grow. It's very different here, I daren't risk pumping capital into growing a business when I never know if I'll ever see my key member of staff again. Very frustrating!
I work for myself.
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Genesis
But I am in business and one of my biggest problems is trying to operate in a country where there are fewer people and where the work ethic isn't, in my 5 years experience, very good. Staff are a nightmare and so is finding a high standard of skill.

Service in NZ is utterly shite!! I spend most of my time sorting out all the crap that the Electrical store or the warranty repair firm or the insurance company or the bank has screwed up for me. Its soooooooooooooo dire over here..which surprises me cos I like kiwis...its just their driving and their attitude to service and customer care that is shite..mind you on a face to face level DURING a purchase they are great..its after it all goes to custard!![/QUOTE]

Oh it's the same in Portugal. The bureaucracy is a nightmare, the amount of paperwork needed to achieve anything is ridiculous. You wait in a queue to have someone else just butt in and take over the conversation with the bank teller. But, the only reason it seems a nightmare is because of what we are used to in the UK. So they are a bit behind, isn't that a bonus?

For me the quality of life my kids will have growing up where they have to go and collect eggs from the chickens to make omelettes or pull up some veggies to make soup far outweighs the frustrations. I'm sick of my kids being stuck indoors because it's raining, all year, and having to make appointments to see friends as they are all so busy with work. I can't wait to have a social life again in spite of having kids, and involving the kids.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:13 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Shame you're in Spain then!
Life is full of obstacles that are waiting to be overcome.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:18 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Oh it's the same in Portugal. The bureaucracy is a nightmare, the amount of paperwork needed to achieve anything is ridiculous. You wait in a queue to have someone else just butt in and take over the conversation with the bank teller. But, the only reason it seems a nightmare is because of what we are used to in the UK. So they are a bit behind, isn't that a bonus?

For me the quality of life my kids will have growing up where they have to go and collect eggs from the chickens to make omelettes or pull up some veggies to make soup far outweighs the frustrations. I'm sick of my kids being stuck indoors because it's raining, all year, and having to make appointments to see friends as they are all so busy with work. I can't wait to have a social life again in spite of having kids, and involving the kids.

Quite honestly, you couldn't pay me to live in Portugal. Been there three times and each time I see more and more of exactly why the people are so desperate to move out of it. To start off with I wondered why the Portugese people would rather live and work in a meat packing factory in Northern Ireland, but I soon began to realise.
IMO, It's fine for a holiday, but to live there? Not in a milliion years, thank you.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Life anywhere is all about your own personal tolerance levels to this, that or the other and usually people will find what suits them, well those that have the get up and go to try some place else anyway.

The problem comes from daft arse reported surveys, 60% of people say they would leave the UK .. blah, blah, blah ... that's where these impressions come from.

There have been articles and programmes abound for a number of years about how much cheaper the cost of living is abroad, how much sunnier and more wonderful it all is ... well lets see now eh? So much was driven by the fact that the UK lead the house price market boom and sterling was so incredibly strong. It did lead in great numbers to a, "see what we could have elsewhere" type outlook. It is all too evident on Wanted Down Under Revisited on BBC1 every morning now.

The phrasology of the press does undoubtedly have an impact, the word British or Britain is inserted into so many headlines and soundbites that it is constantly implied that whatever the moan of the day is concerning it is entirely and exclusively a British issue. It does create attitude problems. The teenagers here have had enough of being slagged off to the point there is a clear and publicised backlash .. thank god.

Most people I personally know, fortunately, are just get on with their life types but my god there is a significant minority of people who will quickly blame 'the UK' for all their ills and bleat about (apparent) greener pastures.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I now live almost exactly the same distance from Sydney as I used to live from London. When I worked in London my commute (to Hammersmith) took me no less than three hours each way (leaving very early in the morning to miss the worst of it) - assuming there wasn't an accident on the M4 or it was raining or they were doing roadworks. My commute into Sydney is a doddle by comparison
Why do people keep comparing Sydney to London? London has three times the population, hardly apples with apples is it? I wrote this a while ago.

Capital post that

I've lived in Sydney for 19yrs and thankfully will reclaim a sense of living next year when we move back to UK. But I've never understood why people even begin to compare Sydney to London! London has what 11mil people? Sydney has 3.8mil people. You earn less money in Sydney, there is way less to do, it's less exciting, crime may be possibly lower in Sydney, but two thirds lower? I don't think so. We were burgled last week (garage only) and we live in a so called 'nice suburb' (Lane Cove).

Given Sydney is so much smaller in population, it shouldn't have anywhere near the amount of issues than it does. For that reason alone, Sydney as a city, and a display of forward thinking is an abject failure. Its focus on everything being in the one CBD and the mentality of it's inhabitants scuttling off each night to far flung suburban blandness, is its biggest weakness.

Sydney could be great, but it isn't. It could be world class, but it isn't (well it is a short term tourist destination, but even they get bored after a few days). The reason it isn't is it has aspirations to become a global 'player' but is ran with a corner shop mentality. Band aid after band aid solutions, constant 'tefloning' of blame for a rapidly increasing failure of infrastructure between state and fed govs means nothing gets done, and broken promise after broken promise from yet another set of politicians with anarchic ideas of progression and a penchant for corruption and nepotism.

I've never been to Manchester (made it to Warrinton once to see Radiohead ) but why aren't more comparisons done between Manchester and Sydney? Similar sizes aren't they?

For me, comparing Sydney to London is ludicrous, why not compare Canberra to London if we're comparing Capital cities? Sydney wants to be something it isn't, and all the posturing, self promotion and fireworks in the world won't change that. The only thing Sydney has in common with London is infrastructure and expense problems. But London has an excuse with a high population and high wages, which is balanced by a vibrant culture, (yes there are places you wouldn't go in London, but Sydney is hardly immune to that either is it?) and plenty to do for the resident (rather than tourist). Sydney has no excuse for it's failings, just reasons for them.

Tough decisions were made in London a few years ago re Congestion Charge, private vehicles, lorries etc. They weren't popular, but at least they were insightful and at least someone was thinking ahead. Sydney's mentality is completely reactive rather than proactive, and even then very bad decisions are made (Cross City Tunnel anyone?). Sydney wants to be a 'player' but it wants to have a quiet life as well and that ain't possible. You're a friend of public transport users or you're a friend of the motorist, you can't be both, but Sydney has had that mentality for years and is now paying for it.

Geographically Sydney is big, but it's mentality is small, it's impact on the world stage exaggerated, it's 'attractions' are tired and shabby, (rather than old and steeped in history), it's a city run and inhabited by suburbanites. It has disproportionate commuting times compared to it's population and in every measure against London, fails, miserably
Oh, except in one, the variety of international eateries in Sydney does put London to shame. But hey if that's all, forget about it. By a Thai cookbook

Thread here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=London&page=4
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:22 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

there are a large number of people pulling the UK down by saying they wish they could leave.
However they don't and probably never will in which case I wish they would shut up moaning and start helping the UK get back on it's feet.
And so say all of us!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Yes well I would like my grandchildren to grow up knowing their one remaining grandparent...seeing as they have lost all the other members of their Portuguese family. The actions I take are not just for my benefit and if it doesn't work out at least I know we gave them some time to get to know their roots.

The problem most people have with living in Portugal (I'm not saying you, or jumping to any conclusions before another heated discussion starts) is that they don't bother to learn the language and expect to do well there based on the fact they speak English and have done well in the UK. The number of times I've heard people complain about not being able to find an English speaker in a bank and how ridiculous that is. English people constantly shout at the Portuguese thinking if they speak louder they'll understand.

I'm not denying Portugal has it's problems, it has, same as everywhere else. It has developed a huge amount in the last 10 years, when I first met my husband he didn't have a telephone in the house or a tv (only ahem 20 yrs ago) but it's not like that anymore, apart from the people who don't want to move on and there's nothing wrong with that.

G
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:27 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Service in NZ is utterly shite!! I spend most of my time sorting out all the crap that the Electrical store or the warranty repair firm or the insurance company or the bank has screwed up for me. Its soooooooooooooo dire over here..which surprises me cos I like kiwis...its just their driving and their attitude to service and customer care that is shite..mind you on a face to face level DURING a purchase they are great..its after it all goes to custard!!

For me the quality of life my kids will have growing up where they have to go and collect eggs from the chickens to make omelettes or pull up some veggies to make soup far outweighs the frustrations. I'm sick of my kids being stuck indoors because it's raining, all year, and having to make appointments to see friends as they are all so busy with work. I can't wait to have a social life again in spite of having kids, and involving the kids.[/QUOTE]

The bureaucratic shit that you speak of, is a predominint feature of life in southern europe and as for somebody butting into your conversation its another aspect of life here in southern europe. Next time it happens tell the would be interloper "Vete a la mierda" or its Portuguese equivalent "Vai a merda" and that should sort them out.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:30 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Quite honestly, you couldn't pay me to live in Portugal. Been there three times and each time I see more and more of exactly why the people are so desperate to move out of it. To start off with I wondered why the Portugese people would rather live and work in a meat packing factory in Northern Ireland, but I soon began to realise.
IMO, It's fine for a holiday, but to live there? Not in a milliion years, thank you.
Well said...It absolutely makes Spain look like the garden of Eden.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:32 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Why do people keep comparing Sydney to London? London has three times the population, hardly apples with apples is it? I wrote this a while ago.

Thread here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=London&page=4
Eh!!! London has a population of 11 million??? Or are you including the whole of the south east here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.