Wikiposts

Why Do people Jump ship?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why Do people Jump ship?

Yes tell me about it, I was unlucky enough to stumble across this post and give an answer to your question and then be shot down for it.

If your husband hadn't left you would you be running back here? I doubt it, so don't come down so hard on other people's decisions to move.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:40 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Yes tell me about it, I was unlucky enough to stumble across this post and give an answer to your question and then be shot down for it.

If your husband hadn't left you would you be running back here? I doubt it, so don't come down so hard on other people's decisions to move.

Now who's jumping to conclusions? I am happily remarried with two homes, one here, one in the UK, 2 businesses, one here one in the UK.

I am 'running' back to the UK because it's where I want to be. Happy now?

I love the UK, I think it's the best place in the world. If you don't like it, hurry and bugger off to Portugal.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

you have a great personality
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:45 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

you have a great personality

Glad you think so. Hey you know what? You have the fire to start your own business. PM me if you want some pointers to help you get started.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers but no thanks, I'm fine on me own.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:50 am
Banned

Cheers but no thanks, I'm fine on me own.
OK.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricket1

The UK does NOT have a problem any worse than anywhere else.

It does have one, lack of space. One of the reasons for coming here was just that. We have now got loads of it. NZ like the UK has a whole gammut of problems, some are very akin many are different...BUT NZ does have oodles of space, the empty beaches and having mountains on your doorstep whilst one parent earns a very good wage (By NZ standards) is fantastic.

Another reason for jumping ship was the belief that NZ would give us a better life..I just had a feeling..and for probably the only time in my life that gut instinct was right!!!

I feel my kids are also not only being bought up somewhere way nicer than central Northampton that they are also free of some of the consumerist pressure that is prevalent in europe. No trainer shite here..its a job to get ought on their feet!!!

Don't get me wrong I am not doing down the UK..for all its faults (just like NZ) its a great place to live if you can hack the crowds which are part of many english people's lives...just like NZ a great place if you don't mind the lack of aged historical culture, the backwardness, isolation etc etc..crap driving blah blah blah.

Everywhere is right for someone aye? It's where we fit in best that we finally find a degree of our nirvana.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:55 am
Banned

[QUOTE=Genesis;7279874][QUOTE=cricket1

The UK does NOT have a problem any worse than anywhere else.

It does have one, lack of space. One of the reasons for coming here was just that. We have now got loads of it. NZ like the UK has a whole gammut of problems, some are very akin many are different...BUT NZ does have oodles of space, the empty beaches and having mountains on your doorstep whilst one parent earns a very good wage (By NZ standards) is fantastic.

Another reason for jumping ship was the belief that NZ would give us a better life..I just had a feeling..and for probably the only time in my life that gut instinct was right!!!

I feel my kids are also not only being bought up somewhere way nicer than central Northampton that they are also free of some of the consumerist pressure that is prevalent in europe. No trainer shite here..its a job to get ought on their feet!!!

Don't get me wrong I am not doing down the UK..for all its faults (just like NZ) its a great place to live if you can hack the crowds which are part of many english people's lives...just like NZ a great place if you don't mind the lack of aged historical culture, the backwardness, isolation etc etc..crap driving blah blah blah.

Everywhere is right for someone aye? It's where we fit in best that we finally find a degree of our nirvana.[/QUOTE]

If you came from Northampton, I can understand why NZ would be a better place. Currently Northamptonshire has the highest crime rate in England according to what I read recently. I moved from there and I have a daughter there.
But I am in business and one of my biggest problems is trying to operate in a country where there are fewer people and where the work ethic isn't, in my 5 years experience, very good. Staff are a nightmare and so is finding a high standard of skill.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=Tr1boy;7279590]http://i39.tinypic.com/jiomyw.gif[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
It's funny how many people want to leave Britain because they perceive that's such a bad place to be. It's almost as if they think that it's just the UK that's struggling and that elsewhere is getting it much easier. I know the press are creating such a miserable reality and the weather at the moment is probably making it feel more bleak but the weather here is awful and oppressive plus the news is absolutely miserable.

The UK does NOT have a problem any worse than anywhere else. The only problem it does have is an attitude that things are so bad that they will never get better and therefore Britain will go to the dogs.
Over my dead body!
Interesting thread . You say, "It's funny how many people want to leave Britain because they perceive that's such a bad place to be." How do you know that's why 'so many' people want to leave Britain? Is it based on the occasional anecdotal chat with someone, your general impression of opinion on this forum - or a large independent survey of some sort?

Sure, you get the odd Britain's-gone-to-the-dogs sort of person - indeed I was one of them. But in my defence I'd say that Britain began to disappear up its own arse long before I was born - and I'd also say that many of the issues are far from unique to the UK. For the most part, I didn't think I'd be escaping them by emigrating - I think modern life is ill, pretty much everywhere on the planet.

However, you ask why people 'jump ship'. For me there were many reasons, but perhaps the top of my list was traffic density. The insane volume of traffic on British roads used to drive me bonkers - it never happened but I'm sure I was a road-rager waiting to happen. Is there a traffic problem in Australia - of course. Is it as bad as the UK - in cities it can be, I'm sure. But I moved from semi-rural UK - the Cotswolds to be precise to semi-rural NSW and there is simply no comparison in traffic levels.

I used to drive my missus to work in Cheltenham - a journey of 18 miles - and on a good day I could get there in 90 minutes. That's an average speed of 12mph! The simple act of going somewhere in the UK, particularly at peak hours, turns into a battle against the traffic gods where you pray there's no RTAs, no road-works and no rain. It colours everything you plan, because you do this sum in your head of how long it'll take to get somewhere and whether it's worth the hassle of sitting in your car for that long. I now live almost exactly the same distance from Sydney as I used to live from London. When I worked in London my commute (to Hammersmith) took me no less than three hours each way (leaving very early in the morning to miss the worst of it) - assuming there wasn't an accident on the M4 or it was raining or they were doing roadworks. My commute into Sydney is a doddle by comparison.

So there you go. Traffic was a big reason for me. That and low cloud cover - those oppresive grey skies that hem you in. And drizzle, which is what the weather does when it really can't be arsed.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Everywhere is right for someone aye? It's where we fit in best that we finally find a degree of our nirvana.[/QUOTE]

Great post and you made me giggle when you made the comment about shoes I remember walking through Auckland airport , only to be met with the sight of a woman in a pointy hat ~no really ~ a wooden staff , closely followed by three kids all shoeless , my son tugged at my sleeve and said please mum can we go home . It did get better
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:59 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the cat fight?
Attached Thumbnails Why Do people Jump ship?-mujeres1.jpg  
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
Interesting thread . You say, "It's funny how many people want to leave Britain because they perceive that's such a bad place to be." How do you know that's why 'so many' people want to leave Britain? Is it based on the occasional anecdotal chat with someone, your general impression of opinion on this forum - or a large independent survey of some sort?

Sure, you get the odd Britain's-gone-to-the-dogs sort of person - indeed I was one of them. But in my defence I'd say that Britain began to disappear up its own arse long before I was born - and I'd also say that many of the issues are far from unique to the UK. For the most part, I didn't think I'd be escaping them by emigrating - I think modern life is ill, pretty much everywhere on the planet.

However, you ask why people 'jump ship'. For me there were many reasons, but perhaps the top of my list was traffic density. The insane volume of traffic on British roads used to drive me bonkers - it never happened but I'm sure I was a road-rager waiting to happen. Is there a traffic problem in Australia - of course. Is it as bad as the UK - in cities it can be, I'm sure. But I moved from semi-rural UK - the Cotswolds to be precise to semi-rural NSW and there is simply no comparison in traffic levels.

I used to drive my missus to work in Cheltenham - a journey of 18 miles - and on a good day I could get there in 90 minutes. That's an average speed of 12mph! The simple act of going somewhere in the UK, particularly at peak hours, turns into a battle against the traffic gods where you pray there's no RTAs, no road-works and no rain. It colours everything you plan, because you do this sum in your head of how long it'll take to get somewhere and whether it's worth the hassle of sitting in your car for that long. I now live almost exactly the same distance from Sydney as I used to live from London. When I worked in London my commute (to Hammersmith) took me no less than three hours each way (leaving very early in the morning to miss the worst of it) - assuming there wasn't an accident on the M4 or it was raining or they were doing roadworks. My commute into Sydney is a doddle by comparison.

So there you go. Traffic was a big reason for me. That and low cloud cover - those oppresive grey skies that hem you in. And drizzle, which is what the weather does when it really can't be arsed.

I won't be driving to work.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

But I am in business and one of my biggest problems is trying to operate in a country where there are fewer people and where the work ethic isn't, in my 5 years experience, very good. Staff are a nightmare and so is finding a high standard of skill.[/QUOTE]

Service in NZ is utterly shite!! I spend most of my time sorting out all the crap that the Electrical store or the warranty repair firm or the insurance company or the bank has screwed up for me. Its soooooooooooooo dire over here..which surprises me cos I like kiwis...its just their driving and their attitude to service and customer care that is shite..mind you on a face to face level DURING a purchase they are great..its after it all goes to custard!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Genesis
But I am in business and one of my biggest problems is trying to operate in a country where there are fewer people and where the work ethic isn't, in my 5 years experience, very good. Staff are a nightmare and so is finding a high standard of skill.

Service in NZ is utterly shite!! I spend most of my time sorting out all the crap that the Electrical store or the warranty repair firm or the insurance company or the bank has screwed up for me. Its soooooooooooooo dire over here..which surprises me cos I like kiwis...its just their driving and their attitude to service and customer care that is shite..mind you on a face to face level DURING a purchase they are great..its after it all goes to custard!![/QUOTE]

Know what you mean. I had great employees in the UK, loyal, hard working, reliable, trustworthy. Much better work ethic and because of them, my business could grow. It's very different here, I daren't risk pumping capital into growing a business when I never know if I'll ever see my key member of staff again. Very frustrating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.