Why Do people Jump ship?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:39 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Do people Jump ship?

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Hi Sans, we've been here for only 18 months, DD & family 2 & a half years. I left my home town & moved to the far flung outskirts of Greater Manchester, on the Pennines when I married. Then 36 year's later we moved to North Yorks & I worked in Teesside so I became used to not having family on my doorstep & kept in touch with 'phone calls & the occasional visit. The flights back to the UK take about 5 hours (getting off PEI is another matter) so I don't feel too far from close family, not that there's that many left.

When I moved to Teesside my homesickness lasted for over 6 months & I did little but moan & never settled there. The people were lovely though, I just didn't like it but I know I exacerbated my problem by constantly comparing the NE to the NW, hence my resolve not to compare. The move to PEI was a good one & we've made lots of friends. After more than 60 years in England I'd virtually given up on museums, cathedrals etc & I've always hated the theatre. So I am happy with this laid back & slow lifestyle here, the drinks parties, strawberry teas & the New Year levees. That being said I'll be going back to England for my Mum's 90th birthday next year and we're looking forward to it.
Really pleased your happy We were on Vancouver Island till last June, it just didn't work out for us, for lots of reasons.....
Its a stunning place and well worth visiting, but sooo hard when you have young kids.

A friend of mine, had some friends that moved from Van Island earlier in the yr, to go live on PEI...

It was either that or back to the UK....so they thought they would give it a go first and see what happens
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:39 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1
You can eat yorkshires with jam and icing sugar. That's as good as cake.
I used to use golden syrup
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:56 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tricia
A positive attitude is great but my personal feeling is that this is a very bad time compared to any other recession in my lifetime. I know so many people that are now struggling and even our business has taken a huge knock in the last 6 months, so much so that we are now genuinely concerned, although not quite at panic mode

Do you know what I think is so different, it's people's circumstances, I'll try and explain. During my childhood and younger adulthood days I remember Mum's going out to work during difficult times, you know, dinner lady, cleaning, evening work etc etc, I'm sure many of us remember. However, for the last 10 years or so pressure on women to 'work' and not stay at home thas had dubious consequences....i.e increased earnings, more spending power fuelling higher house prices so that now 2 adults incomes are needed in most cases to keep that roof over their heads. So instead of man losing job, woman goes out to help survive the rough times it is now man loses job...oh sh*t...no leeway at all.

Oh yes and it's all very well Asda and the like creating so many jobs but they don't pay enough to replace a skilled man's/woman's wage. Not saying it's right or wrong, just an observation that sometimes we ought to maybe be careful what we wish for ? women's lib is great (I think) but I'm not so sure that we as a society have benefited from it. God that makes me sound like I think all women should be at home in sackcloth and ashes but this traditional role of family/home maker has been severely underated and it's a role that women are so naturally good at damn it and is important to socity's values and morals.
My mum was a one parent with 4 kids to feed.....she worked all over the place to bring in the bread eg on the land, betting shops, steel works and did cleaning jobs........We as kids had acouple of paper rounds on the go Big brother went delivering flowers on his bike, i at 13 was working in the chippy......Their was know hubbys wage coming in our house.

I was also a one parent and brought my eldest son up on my own, till he was 14 ....he is now 27.
I also worked on the s/works, pubs, restaurants , i became a painter and decorater I also at one point made sealed units for one company p/time and went out canvasing for another company p/time after tea

I bought my own house and drove a new car, by the time my eldest was 10 yrs old.....No husbands wages their
I could go on and on like i said when needs must, you either find away or starve.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sans
My mum was a one parent with 4 kids to feed.....she worked all over the place to bring in the bread eg on the land, betting shops, steel works and did cleaning jobs........We as kids had acouple of paper rounds on the go Big brother went delivering flowers on his bike, i at 13 was working in the chippy......Their was know hubbys wage coming in our house.

I was also a one parent and brought my eldest son up on my own, till he was 14 ....he is now 27.
I also worked on the s/works, pubs, restaurants , i became a painter and decorater I also at one point made sealed units for one company p/time and went out canvasing for another company p/time after tea

I bought my own house and drove a new car, by the time my eldest was 10 yrs old.....No husbands wages their
I could go on and on like i said when needs must, you either find away or starve.
Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from (being a single parent too for many years) but that's my point, I could work full time plus do some catalogue work and it was enough to pay our mortgage. There is no way now if I found myself with the 'average' mortgage that I could earn enough to service it. Maybe it's different in London but none of the 20's age (or even 30's come to that) I know have been able to buy a home without requiring 2 full time wages to service their outgoings.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: UK-OZ-UK -OZ HERE I COME AGAIN ! Back in Melbourne !!
McBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really nice

Cricket,
I have to admire your comments on the original post!
I think the UK , is currently worse off than some of the other large , wealthy
nations.

The banks didnt do it any favours.
As far people's attitude, or lack of it, blame the immigration department.
Too many people being let into the country, then going on the 'Bens'. The place is already overpopulated , which it cant afford to look after.

Anyway , you could debate it for ages, sadly i dont have the time ......

I'm sure things will pick up in a few years !

Bye
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of light

We as kids had acouple of paper rounds on the go Big brother went delivering flowers on his bike, i at 13 was working in the chippy......Their was know hubbys wage coming in our house.
Interesting point there, again not sure how it is where you are but my kids had a devil of a job getting the good old Saturday job, this was about 8 years ago now. It was ridiculous, no one would take you on till at least 15 (legislation I think) and the supermarkets were never interested as with nigh on everyone staying on in college they tended to only be interested in the 17-18 year olds. They both got part time work at 16 in the end but I was honestly shocked at how difficult it was, form filling/interviews etc etc, what happened to 'my mate's leaving so the the guv said if you want to come in and start on Saturday that'll be ok'
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:26 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Cumberland or Lincolnshire sausages with lashings of buttery mash and onion gravy Mmmmmm
Yeah, ok I know you're only suggesting that because you know I can't get them here.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:33 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Yeah, ok I know you're only suggesting that because you know I can't get them here.
Would i
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:34 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Would i
Hmmm, let me think about that for a moment...
YES!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:36 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Hmmm, let me think about that for a moment...
YES!
I'm wounded That you could think me so cruel
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:59 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from (being a single parent too for many years) but that's my point, I could work full time plus do some catalogue work and it was enough to pay our mortgage. There is no way now if I found myself with the 'average' mortgage that I could earn enough to service it. Maybe it's different in London but none of the 20's age (or even 30's come to that) I know have been able to buy a home without requiring 2 full time wages to service their outgoings.
I agree that at todays prices, it would be more difficult to start out, but then in the late 80's, it wasn't easy......But i started right at the bottom....which is something younger people dont want.

But i dont live in or anywhere near London and i'm going back 20yrs.

My Aunt died acouple of yrs ago and she lived in a ex-council house that she'd bought in the early 70's.......It went up for sale for £84000 ( lovely house massive garden in a really good area) I tried my damdest to get my then 24 yr old son to buy it...Nope it wasn't ultra modern with all the gadgets, he carn't afford ultra modern prices
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:05 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Interesting point there, again not sure how it is where you are but my kids had a devil of a job getting the good old Saturday job, this was about 8 years ago now. It was ridiculous, no one would take you on till at least 15 (legislation I think) and the supermarkets were never interested as with nigh on everyone staying on in college they tended to only be interested in the 17-18 year olds. They both got part time work at 16 in the end but I was honestly shocked at how difficult it was, form filling/interviews etc etc, what happened to 'my mate's leaving so the the guv said if you want to come in and start on Saturday that'll be ok'
Mmm i'm not sure it was exactly legal in the 70's....I was cheap labour at 13, on an amazing 25p per hr But then the older employees were only on 50p
I think but not 100%....that they can be employed behind the scenes at 14....but then the wkend markets seem to get away with it
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm i'm not sure it was exactly legal in the 70's....I was cheap labour at 13, on an amazing 25p per hr But then the older employees were only on 50p
I think but not 100%....that they can be employed behind the scenes at 14....but then the wkend markets seem to get away with it
I vaguely remember that there was an hours thing. Up to a certain number of hours a week at the younger age. Back in the early '70s school leaving was 15, and because it went to September, some of them were 14 when they started full time work.

I used to be a Youth Employment Officer long, long ago.

Bev
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:42 pm
Banned

I'm wounded That you could think me so cruel
Oh really? Well get this then... LIAR!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:54 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Oh really? Well get this then... LIAR!
Why are you laughing Thats aweful, so rude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.