Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where would you rather be?

Where would you rather be?

Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you rather be?

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Funny, I actually liked Duluth when I was up there a couple of years ago.
Nothing funny about liking Duluth - it IS lovely up here on the Lake. But winter is another thing - 7 months long. Really l-o-n-g. If you live here for any length of time, you need a sense of humor, a stoic nature, and a love of the outdoors. Inland from the Lake is a different beauty, thousands of trees - the Great Northwoods. Great sking , snowmobiling, snowshoeing, dog sledding place. Glad you liked it - I will miss a lot about living here, bit NOT winter, not one little bit.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:48 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Nothing funny about liking Duluth - it IS lovely up here on the Lake. But winter is another thing - 7 months long. Really l-o-n-g. If you live here for any length of time, you need a sense of humor, a stoic nature, and a love of the outdoors. Inland from the Lake is a different beauty, thousands of trees - the Great Northwoods. Great sking , snowmobiling, snowshoeing, dog sledding place. Glad you liked it - I will miss a lot about living here, bit NOT winter, not one little bit.
Yeah as far as the climate goes, I don't know that I could tolerate the length of the winter combined with the harshness of it, really. I liked the place itself and I loved the snowmobiling and sledding that I got to do while I was there in the wintertime, but to have to "live" in it for 6 or seven months every year? Maybe not.
It's kind of like the "constant" summer down here I suppose, you need to love that or be born to it.. and many that are born here don't even enjoy it. It gets old after awhile, very old.
Never thought I would long for the grey days of winter that we had at home in the UK (and in Maryland/Virginia when I lived there), but there's times that I wish for a week of them.
Good luck with your move back, at least you'll get a decent length of winter this year
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy! A small place in London, and a holiday home in Falmouth, Cornwall. Grew up in one and spent all my childhood summers in the other.
Perfect!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fulwood
if go to cornwall don't bleedin' go to Land's End. What a farce that is! I can't believe how commercialized it is and I live in the US! Think they ruined it..
Steady up gal! I think I may be right in saying, isn't it now owned by an American?????
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Steady up gal! I think I may be right in saying, isn't it now owned by an American?????
He is actually English as shown in his biography: http://desavary.com/peter-john-de-savary