Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where would you rather be?

Wikiposts

Where would you rather be?

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you rather be?

A house in Lytham near Grannys point over looking the sea
A town that doesnt like change, doesnt change and inshallah will never change with things are just as they should be. Perfect and its always at least degree warmer there than 30 mins down the road.
Also has the best fish and chip restaurant in the world
12 more months hard saving in the land of sand and it may just happen - well a street back from the front
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:43 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Wow not Cornwall that place is the pits..full of whinging cornish people for starters..any way i would have a gaff in California...London and New York
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:10 am
Just Joined

lsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nicelsmethurst is just really nice

I am just greatful to be here, back in Bolton (lived in NZ for 12 months) realised there's no place like home! (no regrets at the experience though) smile to myself everyday driving to work, realising how lucky we was to live the dream and then also to realise it wasn't for us!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:38 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much a case of 'where?' but 'in what situation?'

Where? probably back in the house I am buying in UK (ie I have a mortgage on it), or if not a house in the Midlands, probably Bournville or suburbs of Birmingham (not to everyones taste I know and in most peoples books not in the same league as Cornwall or the like).

In what situation? probably more significant than 'where'. I would like to be semi retired, mortgage free with enough disposable income to pay for the basics, plus a bit left over. In addition to be able to indulge in buying and selling minor (and major?) antiques and collectables from home......
...... bliss
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:16 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I would like somewhere in the country but near good shops and not too far from Gatwick or Heathrow so I could travel. Can anyone suggest a good location? I like where I am now, and if I had more money I would buy a detached house with no neighbours, or at least none that I could see, in a quiet location.

Or maybe move to NZ to see more of my family, but would need an independent income (not NZ wages) to give me the lifestyle I want. Then I would probably buy an expensive mansion on Waiheke Island.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think I'd try Cornwall and, if money was no object, I'd definitely want a house on a cliff overlooking the sea (but high enough not to flood!)
Then try Port Wenn - the TV fictional name for the real Port Isaac, on the north coast of Cornwall.....home of the irascible Doc Martin, aka Martin Clunes, the sole village doctor in the village and surrounding area where, in real life, the entire TV show is filmed. Bloody good doctor but always as miserable as sin in looks and manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6CLAOxaTGI
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have trouble choosing...

A place in Vancouver, maybe on the North Shore. It's the only city I've ever visited where I would like to live.

Nova Scotia, with a nice bit of land and views (hopefully going to actually try out this one!)

Wee cosy cottage in the highlands of Scotland. Couldn't live there all the time - too remote - but would like to have one to holiday in.

And lastly... a villa in Tuscany. We holidayed in a rented villa last year with my family, and the location was unbelieveable. Completely idyllic
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:00 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brissybee
If money was no object... and family ties weren't a consideration... what village, town, city, State, County or Country would you call home - and why?
Epsom, Virginia water ,Sunningdale or around that area.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:48 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
Epsom, Virginia water ,Sunningdale or around that area.
Went to senior school in Sunningdale and lived in Virginia Water for a year, 15years ago. It's a small world
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

fly_on_the_wall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd have a pied-à-terre in New York City, maybe somewhere in the west 80s .. walking distance from Zabars would be nice.
YES Love Zabars!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pass the time in a country cottage with a circular driveway at the end of a long tree lined drive in Kent or Surrey, with no busy roads to see or hear and about three acres to indulge a hobby farm. I'd have chickens (marans and light sussex), white doves in a cote, rabbits, a fish pond, ducks, maybe a goat and a horse and a couple of sheep. All the animals would get along famously and at night they'd snuggle up in an Oast house. I'd also love a stream for paddling and tadpoles and a small bluebell wood. I would also have a pair of cats... one black and one siamese. And a big oak tree for the squirrels. All of this would be surrounded by thousands of naturalised daffodils and wild primroses. Inside there would lots of windows to let in the morning sun, there would be an inglenook fireplace, beams for horse brasses and french doors leading into a pretty high-walled garden. (I might also buy a flat in London somewhere nice, to do the shows, shopping etc.) It's nice to dream

Is this with the 7 dwarfs or after when your Prince Charming has kissed you and you have come back from the dead..
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:11 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Is this with the 7 dwarfs or after when your Prince Charming has kissed you and you have come back from the dead..
Hopefully when I come back from the dead. (AKA Australia). I know my dream location sounds rather fairy-tale like, but as well as having the gift of creative visualisation, I was lucky in that I spent my formative years in the English countryside. My wish list is a compilation of all the lovely things I experienced and remember from a variety of beautiful locations. I am a realist in that I know I will never be able to afford somewhere which has "everything" I would love... but, if money was no object... bring on the next bitch with a poison apple.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

If money was no object... and family ties weren't a consideration... what village, town, city, State, County or Country would you call home - and why?
I have a feeling the OP was inviting us to choose one place, not a base and other homes in different places?

For me, it would have to be Africa. I lived in SA for 30 odd years, came back to join my wife in Scotland in May last year, and returned to SA on a 6 month contract in January. I've been back again for a fortnight and I'm sick of it already. I'm not criticising the UK, I just can't settle here and I'm longing for SA.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

At this moment in our lives Right where we are now....Derbyshire (after being wondering nomads for a few years we find we feel the most settled we have in years)...any of the villages in the County would be fine...maybe nearer to Bakewell...the orignal tarts (food wise..lol) are devine.....and there is plenty to see and do......so I would say....Derbyshire, U.K......and maybe....just maybe have a holiday home somewhere in Crete or Cyprus....not to far from the U.K...and also with a bit of culture....
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Cornwall - with frequent trips to Ireland, Scotland - and oh yes, the occasional trip to Paris. I guess I had better start buying those lottery tickets (someone has to win - might as well be me)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.