Want to go home

Old May 9th 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

welykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant future
Default Re: Want to go home

Originally Posted by ladylisa
[Another thing he has noticed is that his workers always try to do things that go against company policy. He talked with one of his collegues about it and his response was that they do it because they believe they were born with the freedom to express themselves whereas europeans follow rules. My husband said I think we will have to end this conversation before I say something I will regret.
This attitude makes me laugh (and cry) as it shows the incredible efficiancy of a system forced on a nation of independant self sufficient literate productive entrepreneurs that reduces them to unquestioning consumers and fear ridden illiterates in just over 100 years. The guy believes he is free, even though his need to go against policy proves he isn't, just because thats what he was told. And this in a country founded on the principles of equality at least the UK has the excuse of being a class based society with ancient feudal roots.
Old May 9th 2005, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
And what about stage 4? thats when you accept it all for many years, then suddenly think, OMG, I desperatly want to go home and why didnt I do it sooner???
I suspect thats because stage 4 is a bit of an elusive one - you must've had some good times in stage 3 first to get there?
Old May 9th 2005, 7:49 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I suspect thats because stage 4 is a bit of an elusive one - you must've had some good times in stage 3 first to get there?
Yes, some wonderful times. no doubt! But still all the while in the back of my mind still feeling somewhat out of place and really would have preferred to be in UK. Just goes to show how some adapt completely and some never do.
Ah well, I cant have those years back and maybe I dont want to cause I wouldnt have my precious kids. But I am thouroghly happy to finally be going home!
Old May 9th 2005, 8:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Want to go home

Originally Posted by Dan725
Plus, everyone works loads of hours, yet I swear that production is less than in the UK. Too much face time and not enough work, methinks. (Got to be another phase 2 cultural difference - I think get your work done and go home - they think mince about doing your work, cos it makes it look like you are busy for hours on end and increases facetime).

Several other annoyances are in as well - the stupid "automaton" mentality of lower end workers and customer service types - and it is the corporate american system of no trust of employees that makes them like this. Whatever happened to initiative - dirty word over here!!

Ha ha ha! We were on an expat posting in Singapore before coming to the States and I can honestly say that most of the (European, Kiwi and Aussie) expats say *exactly* the same thing about the Singaporeans!

The culture over there is that they wait until the boss goes home before they will leave the building (saves loss of face) so they just shuffle paperwork around. On the other hand was used to grabbing a quick sandwich and eating at his desk in London...over in Singapore the culture is that everyone goes out to a hawker centre and eats a hot lunch..sometimes not returning to their desks until 2 hours later....used to irritate my husband a lot.

(When I worked in the UK I used to spend my 30 minute lunch break often popping in to the local M&S food hall to buy milk, bread or something for dinner....)
Old May 11th 2005, 3:25 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I can so relate to most of what the initial poster stated, but it happens to everyone when they're confronted with a new culture. I think that most of us think that we know what living in the US will be like, after all, we've been exposed to so much of it via Hollywood over the years, or so we think.

It takes a couple of years at least before you feel you're somewhat settled in, and you start ignoring the 'bad'.

Read the Aus and NZ boards if you want to see culture shock on overdrive! :scared:

I have been here for 8 years, and there are still many things that bug me, but I've learned to live with it. Things like tradespeople NEVER EVER EVER arriving when they say they will, wasting my time, or the whole ra-ra- we're the greatest nonsense that goes on. Or the utter inefficiency of most people, which I blame directly at the feet of the schooling system in this state,...many many more.

But, I've gotten (yeah, can you believe I use that word ) used to it over the years, and shrug it off.

If I could, I'd rather be living in Europe where my entire family lives, but the hubby doesn't speak the language and it is one of hardest in the world to learn! poor bugger.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:04 am
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

Regarding Misersble in America your comments what you do not like about the USA, my husband is having difficulty in adapting to our life here in the USA, he misses his friends and family but realises that moving back is not an option as we have nothing to go back for at this moment in time. However myself and daughters love it here we have settled in very well I think given time my husband will be the same.
As for your coments about the Americans yes they are very patriotic shame the Brits arent the same about the UK, my 2 daughters are doing incredibly well at school here my 8 year old is a straight A student and my 6 year old is getting on so well at kindergarten with reading etc, they both say the POA each day and at girl scouts and they both try to sing the Stars and Stripes.
As for Americans being rude plenty of British people in the UK are very rude and often ignorant.
Did you think through your move to the USA long enough we thought about it for 2.5 years before we made the move. I wish you luck with what ever you decide in the future weither to stay or return to the UK.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miserable in America
We have been in Florida for the last 7 months and we are not happy and want to go back home. We have now found out that we were overpaid working and child tax credit and the Tax Office say we owe them £3500! My hubby is worried incase he is sent to prison. I was wondering if anyone could advise us on this matter and would know what would happen if we returned home. Thank you.

Its simple, if you were overpaid then you should pay it back, i'm sure they will allow you to pay it off bit by bit.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miserable in America
You want my opinion of this country? Then here we go: I personally think that from an early age Amerians are brainwashed into believing that this is a great country, and to them I suppose it is, but I don't agree. We put a stop to our daughter standing up in class and pledging alligence to the flag, which was upsetting her even more. We have noticed a lot of faults like the plumbing, electricity, cell phones. There is a massive accident waiting to happen on the roads with people using cell phones, drinking coffee while driving, we have even seen one lady reading a book while driving and another with a dog on her lap! I think that kids are pushed too hard at school, kids are expected to be A grade students otherwise they are held back, it is all work and no play, which I think is wrong. The Americans do not have any manners, I don't think that the words 'please' and 'thank you' are even in their vocabulary. I could go on but I won't, I think you will get the idea of what I am talking about.

I'm sorry but the reasons you are wanting to quit are pathetic for the following reasons;

1. Whats wrong with believing tyou are in the best country in the world, in some ways it is...if us Brits had a bit more national pride we would perhaps get on a bit better.
2. Pledging alligence to the flag...fair comment, but the saying when in Rome comes to mind.
3. Plumbing, electricity, cell phones...WTF are you on about?
4. Drinking coffee etc whilst driving, thats done all over the world!
5. Manners - You should come back the the Uk for a little holiday, the yanks are some the friendliest people in the world.

I'm sorry for being harsh but as you have done, i have spoken my mind, the reasons you have given are very week at best, why not say that your homesick and have done with it, its not for everyone, and i'm not sure how hard you have tried to fit in but from your comments you sound very negative, did you not research these facts before you went?

Mark

PS If you are wondering how I know your negative.....I guessed it from your site name!!!!
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:13 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by wildmark
I'm sorry but the reasons you are wanting to quit are pathetic for the following reasons;

1. Whats wrong with believing tyou are in the best country in the world, in some ways it is...if us Brits had a bit more national pride we would perhaps get on a bit better.
2. Pledging alligence to the flag...fair comment, but the saying when in Rome comes to mind.
5. Manners - You should come back the the Uk for a little holiday, the yanks are some the friendliest people in the world.

I'm sorry for being harsh but as you have done, i have spoken my mind, the reasons you have given are very week at best, why not say that your homesick and have done with it, its not for everyone, and i'm not sure how hard you have tried to fit in but from your comments you sound very negative, did you not research these facts before you went?

Mark

PS If you are wondering how I know your negative.....I guessed it from your site name!!!!

I take it you havent lived in the USA then or you'd know why these seemingly "pathetic" things can be cause of great consternation. If you dont understand what a person is going through dont reply with things like this...it really doesnt help someone who is having a hard time by calling them pathetic and a quitter. You're replies show you have no idea. Eg:

"5. Manners - You should come back the the Uk for a little holiday, the yanks are some the friendliest people in the world." Really? Why dont you come live down here and call them all "Yanks" and see how friendly they are?

Old May 23rd 2005, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark

Sorry, Mark, but you're out of order here. The majority of people who emigrate to the USA, either as the spouse of a US citizen or for reasons of employment or study, suffer the feelings described by the original poster.
We cannot all be wrong - no smoke without fire etc etc etc.
One or two brave souls manage to adapt with no problems, but these are the minority.
I, too, have been accused of being negative . My reply is "No - not negative, I'm telling it like it is". Ever heard the story of the emperor's new clothes?
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ImHere
I take it you havent lived in the USA then or you'd know why these seemingly "pathetic" things can be cause of great consternation. If you dont understand what a person is going through dont reply with things like this...it really doesnt help someone who is having a hard time by calling them pathetic and a quitter. You're replies show you have no idea. Eg:

"5. Manners - You should come back the the Uk for a little holiday, the yanks are some the friendliest people in the world." Really? Why dont you come live down here and call them all "Yanks" and see how friendly they are?

I spent 4 years in Tampa, two in Maryland and 12 months in Buffalo, does that answer your question.

Oh I'm sorry are these forums supposed to only present one sympathetic point of view?
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Sorry, Mark, but you're out of order here. The majority of people who emigrate to the USA, either as the spouse of a US citizen or for reasons of employment or study, suffer the feelings described by the original poster.
We cannot all be wrong - no smoke without fire etc etc etc.
One or two brave souls manage to adapt with no problems, but these are the minority.
I, too, have been accused of being negative . My reply is "No - not negative, I'm telling it like it is". Ever heard the story of the emperor's new clothes?

A positive mind can solve many problems, if you have a name on this website like that how can you hope to try to work out a solution to what is basically homesickness?

By the way I dont have much patience for people looking for sypathy, I apoligise for that, all i'm trying to say is that I think she is not being honest with herself.

Mark
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

A positive mind can solve many problems, if you have a name on this website like that how can you hope to try to work out a solution to what is basically homesickness?

By the way I dont have much patience for people looking for sypathy, I apoligise for that, all i'm trying to say is that I think she is not being honest with herself.

Mark
this maybe true.....but a sympathetic ear and support goes a long way to make friendships.......all it takes is a little compassion
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:05 pm
Miserable in America

Miserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura about

Mark
As you say a positive mind can solve many problems, but not all of them. You don't know anything about me so you cannot say that I am negative. I have tried really hard to adapt here but it hasn't worked out. Yes I am homesick but that is not the main reason why I want to go back home. You have lived here but now you are back in the UK..... you have your reasons for this, and I have my reasons for doing the things I do. I posted on here because I needed some advice not sympathy..... I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for my situation, I knew what I was doing when I came here, it is just unfortunate that it hasn't worked out as well as I would have liked. The best laid plans can go wrong! We all make mistakes, but hopefully we can learn from them. I have learnt that the grass is not always greener, and what works for some doesn't work for others. I might not like living here but whatever happens I have gained a lot from the experience.
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:29 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MIA. I'm here in Florida as well and I totally sympathize. Have you made any plans to return yet? I'll be leaving in October and the waiting is driving me crazy. Of course I've been here a lot longer than you but still only you can know if you are not happy somewhere. Good luck on your return. let us know how your doing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.