Want to go home

Old May 23rd 2005, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home

Originally Posted by woodsey
Be thankful she has the opportunity to be held back, back home she'd be moved up whether she was ready or not, at least in this country they do actually care about your childs ability and how well they are doing.
How kids in England could benefit from summer school.....
I have to agree with this paragraph. I took my 15 year old daughter to the UK just after she finished her freshman year in high school. Unfortunately she was struggling here because of emotional problems and taking her to the UK, academically, wasn't a great idea. She didn't fit in anywhere and ended up taking a miserable GNVQ course and make-up maths and english GCSEs. It was dismal and didn't get any better. The following year she was able to take a refresher course at the college - history, science, maths, geography, english GCSEs, she failed all of them, with the excpetion of English. This was a refresher course for kids to re-sit their GCSEs, she'd never encountered most of what they were teaching and was made to feel inferior to boot.

This brings me to Calle's post. I certainly wish you the best on your endeavour back to your "home" land. But, don't naively think that your kids won't run into huge hurdles in school there, especially if they are older.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:54 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
This brings me to Calle's post. I certainly wish you the best on your endeavour back to your "home" land. But, don't naively think that your kids won't run into huge hurdles in school there, especially if they are older.
Thanks Amerlisa. I know, I expect dififculties. I am trying to prepare the best I can. I have a cousin who teaches in six form college and an aunt who teaches as well and they are trying to help me get the schooling sorted. some decisions are never easy are they?
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Couldn't agree more with this, going into an English High School as an 'outsider' will be an horrendous experience especially at 14, teenagers are notoriously self conscious/moody at this age anyway without the added strain of trying to fit into the already formed cliques ( I hope your youngest is a boy).
I really do hope you have done your homework Calle because its going to be a very rough ride, having just done it the other way round, I can safely say it has been the worst year of my life and my daughters, (may I add we did not drag my daughter here kicking and screaming, she was more excited about the move than we were) we have kind of come out of the other side now (although she is redoing 8th grade) but I can't imagine how bad it would be if we were now having to deal with her sitting the exams that will determine what she does with the rest of her life, I say this because depending on when your youngest is 15, he/she may be sitting his/her GCSE's at the end of your first year back..
With hindsight I would, in your situation seriously consider waiting to move for a few more years or go private and stick with the education system your child is familiar with..

Last edited by woodsey; May 23rd 2005 at 10:34 pm.
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miserable in America
Hi, no we have not made any definite plans yet, but as far as I am concerned the sooner we go home the better. After our daughter has spent the last few months in school and struggling with the work, she failed the FCAT miserably, which means that she will be held back a year and it was advised that she go to summer camp. I spoke to her teacher and it now turns out that she was put in the wrong grade!!!! She was put in 3rd grade but she should have been in 2nd. I hold the school responsible for this as neither her records or birth certificate were checked when we enroled her. I told the teacher that she will not be going to summer camp as I want my daughter to enjoy her childhood, not have her nose stuck in a book for a further 5 hours a day for 6 weeks. Surprisingly, the teacher agreed with me. This has made me more determined to go home now. I do not want my daughter to go through this. She has now missed a year because of an administration c@@k up . I am concidering putting in a formal complaint, but it wouldn't do any good and it wouldn't help my daughter regain the year she has missed. Sorry for moaning but this has really added more fuel to the fire that is already raging.

I hope all goes well for you when you return home in Octobe.
Have to say, having re-read this, I am now flabbergasted at this post, although, it is a typical 'British' response to hold the school responsible rather than yourself.
If you were concerned that her school did not check her records when you enrolled her, why did you not make sure they did? It is not an administration cock up but yours, sorry to be so harsh but your daughters education is your responsibility especially in a foreign country where everything is going to be so different..
Like I said in my previous post, we made a mistake in putting my daughter in the 8th grade, not the school..

Last edited by woodsey; May 23rd 2005 at 11:54 pm.
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:56 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miserable in America
She will be doing 3rd grade again. What I am annoyed about is that had she been put in 2nd grade from the start then that would have prepared her better for the FCAT that the kids take in 3rd grade. Plus what she would have learnt in 2nd grade she has missed, I know that doing 3rd grade again will be good for her but it is the principal of the matter. She was in 3rd grade at home so next year she would have been in 4th grade. If we do go home it means that she will be a year behind there as well now.
Sorry to hear about your experience, but sometimes the principal isn't that important, especially if it doesn't benefit you to stick to it. My son was put in 2nd grade when we arrived because he had been in 2nd grade in the UK. When I looked at his work I realised he wan't old enough for this and went back to the principal. Luckily it was at the end of the semester so he just restarted 2nd grade in the September, no harm done. It would likely be beneficial to your daughter to repeat the year and it's something she'll recover from. It could make all the difference to how happy she is.

On another note, the grades are different in the UK where kids start school earlier. My son is in 3rd grade here but would be in 4th grade if we were to return to the UK. They are still being taught at the same level, that of a 9 year old.
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Its only been in the last few years as my youngest is now 14, that my husband and children came to me and said they are ready and willing to try life outside the US. In fact I first suggested Australia as sort of a middle ground, But my son said 'Why?, We have family in the UK and you always say you wish you could go back'. So, I'm headed home and yes I still get scared to death that maybe they wont like it or they will have a hard time adjusting to a different education system. But I will do everything in my power to see to it they they do alright and continue their education. They are excited about it and since they are dual citizens I dont think I am taking them away from their home... only showing them their 'other' home.
And this could be a wonderful opportunity for them, especially to do it before they'd have to do it on their own as young adults. I do wonder what you would do if your husband or children really didn't like it there; but you and they are fortunate to have the choice as to which country to live in, and I know you will deal with anything as it arises -- just like you have done here.

I think that what most of the posters are saying is that change, even *good* change, is a stress, and it will affect different members of your family differently based upon their personalities and how well they are able to adjust to the change; and the posters don't want anyone to underestimate that -- "going home" again, no matter where home is, can be hard. But in your case it sounds like an adventure the whole family is willing to try. Be thankful for that.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
On another note, the grades are different in the UK where kids start school earlier. My son is in 3rd grade here but would be in 4th grade if we were to return to the UK. They are still being taught at the same level, that of a 9 year old.
I think kids in the UK start kindergarten in the school year *during which* they turn five, whereas kids in the US start kindergarten in the school year *following* them turning five. These days, many kids are being held back further if they have "late" birthdays -- eg kids who turn five in August but school starts in September -- so that they are even older than their UK "grade" counterparts.

Is this correct?
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:04 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Rete, I do think that this is a nasty gibe at all those of us who have taken our children with us to another country.

Very few parents will take such a monumental step without taking their children's needs into consideration. But with all best intentions, and even if, objectively, the move may be in the best interest of the children, things can go pear-shaped.

Your comment was totally inappropriate and hurtful, and you should know better.
I have to agree. There are many of us here who have emigrated with children who could take offence at the comments. I'm especially appalled to see Rete attacking those who keep their children with them and yet on another post I see her defending a woman who chose to leave her children behind (fror 3 1/2 years) in an environment where she is concerned for her children's welfare with an ex-husband she describes as controlling and vindictive. That's just hypocritical.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:07 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think kids in the UK start kindergarten in the school year *during which* they turn five, whereas kids in the US start kindergarten in the school year *following* them turning five. These days, many kids are being held back further if they have "late" birthdays -- eg kids who turn five in August but school starts in September -- so that they are even older than their UK "grade" counterparts.

Is this correct?
Yes snowbunny that's how I understand it to be. UK kindergarteners are 4 whereas in the US they are 5. And yes, some parents choose to hold back their children until they are 6.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:10 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Yes snowbunny that's how I understand it to be. UK kindergarteners are 4 whereas in the US they are 5. And yes, some parents choose to hold back their children until they are 6.
As a child who was "skipped" two grades I was one the same instructional level as kids two years older than I was, and while I could handle the coursework, it was *very* hard to fit in. I imagine the same would be true if I'd stayed with my age peers and was being "held back" mentally.

Whenever there is an asychronicity between ability and age, parents need to work with the school to try to accommodate their child's needs, whether the asynchronicity is caused by differing ability or changing educational systems.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Is this correct?
Actually if we had remained in the UK our youngest, who will be 4 in the early part of August, would have started "reception class" in September. I am a member of another forum (and still keep in touch) with babies that were born the same month and year (August '01) and every child in that group are starting school this September. This school year ('04-'05) they have been at nursery. Children typically leave school at a younger age (16) once they have completed they GCSEs....although some do go on and take their A-Levels.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by callé
Thanks Amerlisa. I know, I expect dififculties. I am trying to prepare the best I can. I have a cousin who teaches in six form college and an aunt who teaches as well and they are trying to help me get the schooling sorted. some decisions are never easy are they?

Calle, I fully understand the extreme desire to be someplace else. I lived that dream and made my daughter go with me. Do I feel like she suffered for it? No, she has seen and done things that she might not have had the chance to do. That in itself is an education. Academically though it was the biggest mistake for her, as I said. She is now 23 and has no qualifications, save for a C grade in English GCSE. It won't get her far in the job world, as you are probably aware. Initially she wasn't very happy about going over there either. She missed out on dances, proms, high school graduation, all the things she probably would have experienced had she stayed. But, in the long run she is happy now and that's the final line.
Old May 24th 2005, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wildmark
I'm sorry but the reasons you are wanting to quit are pathetic for the following reasons;

1. Whats wrong with believing tyou are in the best country in the world, in some ways it is...if us Brits had a bit more national pride we would perhaps get on a bit better.
2. Pledging alligence to the flag...fair comment, but the saying when in Rome comes to mind.
3. Plumbing, electricity, cell phones...WTF are you on about?
4. Drinking coffee etc whilst driving, thats done all over the world!
5. Manners - You should come back the the Uk for a little holiday, the yanks are some the friendliest people in the world.

I'm sorry for being harsh but as you have done, i have spoken my mind, the reasons you have given are very week at best, why not say that your homesick and have done with it, its not for everyone, and i'm not sure how hard you have tried to fit in but from your comments you sound very negative, did you not research these facts before you went?

Mark

PS If you are wondering how I know your negative.....I guessed it from your site name!!!!
Have to say I agree with point, 1,2,4 & 5 with regards to point 3, plumbing, everytime someone does a big shit in our loo, it blocks, Lowes don't have 3 aisles of plungers for no reason, electricity, switch the kettle on and the lights dim, for gods sake whats that all about, having a $450 a month bill doesn't help either, cell phones, never once had a conversation with someone without losing the signal..need I go on.
I have found much to my dismay, the US to be very backward in most areas compared to Europe, and I live in LA for gods sake, not the deep south..
What may seem like pathetic reasons are things that make everyday life a little bit harder, yes she is homesick but its things like this that make you homesick, thats what being homesick is...
All of the above things and a million other things irritate the shit out of me (not good when the plumbing is so crap ) some of us learn to live with them, others don't..doesn't make them pathetic.
Your experience was obviously very different and the US filled all your expectations but then again you live in Preston so I can see why..
Old May 24th 2005, 12:48 am
Miserable in America

Miserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura about

Have to say I agree with point, 1,2,4 & 5 with regards to point 3, plumbing, everytime someone does a big shit in our loo, it blocks, Lowes don't have 3 aisles of plungers for no reason, electricity, switch the kettle on and the lights dim, for gods sake whats that all about, having a $450 a month bill doesn't help either, cell phones, never once had a conversation with someone without losing the signal..need I go on.
I have found much to my dismay, the US to be very backward in most areas compared to Europe, and I live in LA for gods sake, not the deep south..
What may seem like pathetic reasons are things that make everyday life a little bit harder, yes she is homesick but its things like this that make you homesick, thats what being homesick is...
All of the above things and a million other things irritate the shit out of me (not good when the plumbing is so crap ) some of us learn to live with them, others don't..doesn't make them pathetic.
Your experience was obviously very different and the US filled all your expectations but then again you live in Preston so I can see why..
Nice one
Old May 24th 2005, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but then again you live in Preston so I can see why..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.