Want to go home

Old May 24th 2005, 1:49 am
Miserable in America

Miserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Want to go home

Originally Posted by woodsey
Have to say, having re-read this, I am now flabbergasted at this post, although, it is a typical 'British' response to hold the school responsible rather than yourself.
If you were concerned that her school did not check her records when you enrolled her, why did you not make sure they did? It is not an administration cock up but yours, sorry to be so harsh but your daughters education is your responsibility especially in a foreign country where everything is going to be so different..
Like I said in my previous post, we made a mistake in putting my daughter in the 8th grade, not the school..
With all the relevant documents handed in eg: birth certificate, immunisation record and school report, told that these would be checked, told that our child would go into 3rd grade because that was what she was in back home. Told that our child had to have after school tuition to 'Americanise' her because there was a language barrier (won't say what I thought about that), told that she would get one to one tuition in school (which didn't happen), told that she was improving, even though we told the teacher time and time again that something was very wrong. We did everything we could to help our daughter. What else were we supposed to do, draw blood?

So yes, we do hold the school responsible.
Old May 24th 2005, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miserable in America
With all the relevant documents handed in eg: birth certificate, immunisation record and school report, told that these would be checked, told that our child would go into 3rd grade because that was what she was in back home. Told that our child had to have after school tuition to 'Americanise' her because there was a language barrier (won't say what I thought about that), told that she would get one to one tuition in school (which didn't happen), told that she was improving, even though we told the teacher time and time again that something was very wrong. We did everything we could to help our daughter. What else were we supposed to do, draw blood?

So yes, we do hold the school responsible.
Sorry, I stand corrected, the impression I got from the original post was that they hadn't asked to see any of her records, which is what prompted my post..Sorry for misunderstanding.
With regards to the 'language barrier' and tuition to 'Americanise' her, with hindsight I would have jumped at the opportunity had it been offered, the language difference was actually one of the biggest obstacles that my daughter had to overcome, she really struggled during presentations etc, many of the other kids really did struggle to understand her, another time she was asked to write an essay in English saying what they did for the holidays, my daughter wrote an excellent essay about a previous summer holiday, what they in fact wanted was a piece about Christmas..
Many things that initially seem to be quite strange or even offensive do actually, in the end make perfect sense..
Not something we have to worry about anymore though as she's as American as the rest of them and most of the time I haven't got a clue what shes on about..

Last edited by woodsey; May 24th 2005 at 2:09 am.
Old May 24th 2005, 2:10 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

she was asked to write an essay in English saying what they did for the holidays, my daughter wrote an excellent essay about a previous summer holiday, what they in fact wanted was a piece about Christmas..
Gosh, I can relate to that! First 'fall' (what a ghastly word!) I was here, I didn't know what people were going on about!

Holidays? WTF...
Old May 24th 2005, 12:34 pm
Miserable in America

Miserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura aboutMiserable in America has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rete
I do wish you well and hope your journey back to the UK is all that you dream it will be and that your children enjoy being taken away from their home.

As far as I am concerned England is our home, America is just where we live. "Home is where the heart is"
Old May 24th 2005, 1:41 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

With all the relevant documents handed in eg: birth certificate, immunisation record and school report, told that these would be checked, told that our child would go into 3rd grade because that was what she was in back home.
It sounds like you may already have your minds made up, but this is just a small hurdle which in reality which can be overcome with no damage done.
Your daughter will start the grade next year which is right for her, and will be with children the same age as her. Don't fixate on the numbers, 3rd grade will be at the same level as Year 4 in the UK. Kids may start school a year later here, but they are then on the fast track and I think are very quickly at the same level as UK kids.
My daughter was in Year 2 when we moved over, so I naturally thought she would go into 2nd Grade. Luckily for us, the school district placed them on age, not ability, so she went into 1st Grade. This proved to be the right decision, as when she moved into 2nd Grade she was learning all new stuff never covered before.

As for Rete's comments, that was a slight not only to Calle, but to everyone who has emigrated with kids and was totally uncalled for. You can count me as someone who took offence.
Old May 24th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

As far as I am concerned England is our home, America is just where we live. "Home is where the heart is"

You should get someone to send you a video of a program I watched last night on the yob/hoodies that are rampant on the streets in the UK, you might have a differnt outlook on how wonderful the UK is :scared:
Old May 24th 2005, 3:26 pm
Miserable in America

Originally Posted by wildmark
You should get someone to send you a video of a program I watched last night on the yob/hoodies that are rampant on the streets in the UK, you might have a differnt outlook on how wonderful the UK is :scared:
I didn't say that the UK was wonderful, I just said that it was home. I know the UK has its problems but doesn't every country? We lived in London where violence is rife so I do know what goes on.
Old May 24th 2005, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

This is also my saying "We just live here it's not home" and I dont give a toss who I offend
Old May 24th 2005, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

But home is where you make it guys. Seriously. And I'm not trying to be condescending, because I know you're all smart enough to be aware of this. I lived in the UK for 5+ years and felt extreme homesickness for the US countless times. I needed to be back here and my dear husband was quite willing to make me happy, so we moved back to the US. I regret the move, because in such a short period of time things had changed dramatically and of course I wasn't the same person....cue the adage "You can never go back." Too true!

So, we are here now and will have to make the best of it, because we burnt many bridges to come here. In the long run, I have my family, my husband, one of my children with me and that will have to suffice and I will have to make do. We aren't living in poverty and we have a roof over our heads. We're a bit culturally deprived but we all have to make sacrifices.

I wish you all the best, but I know full stop about the grass being greener on the other side...it isn't.
Old May 24th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

stage 1 - everything is new and exciting, you embrace the differences with open arms and welcome all the changes greatly..this stage can last from between a few weeks to 3 to 4 months.
stage 2 - everything you found new and exciting becomes intensely irritating, differences now stick out like a sore thumb and you crave for all things familiar...usually kicks in around the 3 to 4 month stage and can last for anything up to a year.
stage 3 - a slow gradual acceptance of differences, eventually you will no longer notice..usually happens at around a year, sometimes sooner if you're lucky..
That's about right... I've been over here for 2 years tomorrow and I can safely say that following about the first 5 months things really started to piss me off about everything I found different in America, and I mean everything...driving, houses, traffic lights, cucumbers (they are different), milk (well, all food)...

The threat to move back to England came up every couple of months... But, as long as you can stick it out, it does get better! Things settled down after about a year. I still miss England massively and some things about America still piss me off... That's what I use this web site for!

There are plenty of people who know exactly where you are coming from. For everything that you have found wrong, wierd or different about America, there are twenty other people on this website who feel the exact same way.

I remember that the hardest thing I have ever done in my life was getting back onto a plane to come back over here right in the middle of stage 2.

It does get better.

Last edited by CitySimon; May 24th 2005 at 8:33 pm.
Old May 24th 2005, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Finding Americans and America hugely irritating are all part of the 'culture shock' process, and I am not being at all sarcastic with this comment..
stage 1 - everything is new and exciting, you embrace the differences with open arms and welcome all the changes greatly..this stage can last from between a few weeks to 3 to 4 months.
stage 2 - everything you found new and exciting becomes intensely irritating, differences now stick out like a sore thumb and you crave for all things familiar...usually kicks in around the 3 to 4 month stage and can last for anything up to a year.
stage 3 - a slow gradual acceptance of differences, eventually you will no longer notice..usually happens at around a year, sometimes sooner if you're lucky..
I have been through all 3 stages and would just like to add that stage 2 can come and go no matter how long you've been here. I went through stage 2 again 14 months after moving and am going through it again after 3 years but I know or at least hope that it won't last.
Old May 24th 2005, 10:14 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched "Today Tonight" here in Australia on Monday night at 6.30pm, and it was all about "youth gangs" that are rife in some of Melbourne's suburbs!!!!
Its not just the UK I'm afraid!!!!!
Old May 24th 2005, 10:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kendodd
I watched "Today Tonight" here in Australia on Monday night at 6.30pm, and it was all about "youth gangs" that are rife in some of Melbourne's suburbs!!!!
Its not just the UK I'm afraid!!!!!
I have seen the same in Vancouver. It made me feel very strange given that I live in the US and have never thought of it as "safe" or "safer" than the UK, Canada, Oz.....
Old May 26th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Have to say I agree with point, 1,2,4 & 5 with regards to point 3, plumbing, everytime someone does a big shit in our loo, it blocks, Lowes don't have 3 aisles of plungers for no reason, electricity, switch the kettle on and the lights dim, for gods sake whats that all about, having a $450 a month bill doesn't help either, cell phones, never once had a conversation with someone without losing the signal..need I go on.
I have found much to my dismay, the US to be very backward in most areas compared to Europe, and I live in LA for gods sake, not the deep south..
What may seem like pathetic reasons are things that make everyday life a little bit harder, yes she is homesick but its things like this that make you homesick, thats what being homesick is...
All of the above things and a million other things irritate the shit out of me (not good when the plumbing is so crap ) some of us learn to live with them, others don't..doesn't make them pathetic.
Your experience was obviously very different and the US filled all your expectations but then again you live in Preston so I can see why..

Oh well then it's obvious.....dont have big shits have lots of small one's :scared:

Mark

Oh, the reason why were in Preston is my wife was homesick for family, but has realised this country is on the whole a shit hole! and were moving to Oz
Old May 26th 2005, 2:19 pm
Miserable in America

Oh well then it's obvious.....dont have big shits have lots of small one's :scared:

Mark

Oh, the reason why were in Preston is my wife was homesick for family, but has realised this country is on the whole a shit hole! and were moving to Oz
But didn't you live in Canada?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.