British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Want to go home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/want-go-home-301253/)

Miserable in America May 6th 2005 1:20 pm

Want to go home

We have been in Florida for the last 7 months and we are not happy and want to go back home. We have now found out that we were overpaid working and child tax credit and the Tax Office say we owe them £3500! My hubby is worried incase he is sent to prison. I was wondering if anyone could advise us on this matter and would know what would happen if we returned home. Thank you.

welykuk May 6th 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Want to go home

Originally Posted by Miserable in America
We have been in Florida for the last 7 months and we are not happy and want to go back home. We have now found out that we were overpaid working and child tax credit and the Tax Office say we owe them £3500! My hubby is worried incase he is sent to prison. I was wondering if anyone could advise us on this matter and would know what would happen if we returned home. Thank you.

I think but anm not sure that if you didn't have the money to pay the arrears they would be added to your tax code and deducted at source from your UK employer. I would certainly think it unlikely that your husband would be imprisoned unless he deliberately left the country in order to avoid the taxman.
As for feeling miserable homesickness is still likely to be present if not worse about 7 months in it might be worth giving it a bit more time.
The company wanted us to live around Miami when we moved over but I really didn't like the look of it. We settled in Maryland and have enjoyed living here but various issues made me want to return although I was torn between both the UK and the US. Fortunately the dfecision was made for us when our green cards were denied and we'll be leaving in a couple of weeks. Whether or not we'll come back depends on what work decide to do and how we find living back in the UK.

Miserable in America May 6th 2005 2:44 pm

Thank you for your reply. No, we didn't diliberatly try to avoid the tax man. Our claim for working/child tax credit was up for renewel and as we knew that we were leaving the country we didn't bother to renew it. In hindsight perhaps we should have informed the tax office but didn't think it was necessary.

ladylisa May 6th 2005 3:38 pm

Can you elaborate on why you are unhappy - Could it be you need to give it more time?

Miserable in America May 6th 2005 4:13 pm

A few of the reasons why we are not happy are the food, the lifestyle and our daughter is not happy in school, (she was very happy back home). I will not say anymore for fear of upsetting fellow Americans but we have my own opinions about this country and I think those opinions are best kept to ourselves. Homesickness has got a lot to do with our unhappiness but we could cope with that if everything else was ok.

heading downunder 2002 May 6th 2005 4:15 pm

Thank you for your reply. No, we didn't diliberatly try to avoid the tax man. Our claim for working/child tax credit was up for renewel and as we knew that we were leaving the country we didn't bother to renew it. In hindsight perhaps we should have informed the tax office but didn't think it was necessary.

We have been overpaid child tax credit, we underestimated our earnings and they are taking back over a period of time by reducing our payments everyweek. To be honest I don't know why they pay us something each week it is only £10 and the overpayment would be paid of quicker!!!

Anyhow I expect that if you returned to the UK they would like us take it back over a period of time. If you didn't know you were getting it paid surely you still have it, so just pay back the lump sum, if you haven't now got it give them a call and see if you can arrange to pay something each month from Florida. I would try and sort it because if you do come back to the UK I sure it will return to haunt you.

Susan

Becs May 6th 2005 4:16 pm

We found it very difficult to settle in the US as well (New Jersey).. How old is your daughter?

-Becs

ladyofthelake May 6th 2005 4:18 pm

A few of the reasons why we are not happy are the food, the lifestyle and our daughter is not happy in school, (she was very happy back home). I will not say anymore for fear of upsetting fellow Americans but we have my own opinions about this country and I think those opinions are best kept to ourselves. Homesickness has got a lot to do with our unhappiness but we could cope with that if everything else was ok.

Don't feel bad about not liking it here, and don't keep it to yourselves. That''s what we're here for. I know there's a lot of crap things about this place, and this forum is the best place to get things off your chest. Have you had a look at the USA area? Everybody has something to moan about, so lay it all out. We all know what it's like to feel homesick and if anybody gets upset with you, just tell them to p*ss off.
:D

Elvira May 6th 2005 4:21 pm

You are not entitled to Child Tax Credit (or Child Benefit!) whilst you and your children are abroad.

Your husband won't be sent to prison. But you do need to ring them and sort out a repayment arrangement. Messing with the IR is not a good idea...

Sorry you are finding life in FL difficult. What made you move there? Maybe you need to give it a little more time? :)

scrawni May 6th 2005 4:26 pm

We had a letter saying we overpayed tax credit and they said they would take it from us gradually. We have since arrived back to the uk and not had any problems with it. I would advice questioning the amout though, they are good at getting it wrong, especially if it's in their favour.

As for returning, do what you feel is right for you family. Will send you a pm.

Mandy

Miserable in America May 6th 2005 4:33 pm

We still have an active bank account in England and I have checked it and no more payments were received once the period of our claim ended, which was just before we came here. We just assumed that by not renewing the claim that would be the end of it. We know that the Inland Revenue is a law unto itself and if they give us time to pay the money back then we could managed that. We are just worried incase they zap us with a huge bill with interest charges and expect us to pay it back in one go. Our daughter is 8.

britvic May 6th 2005 4:39 pm

I and meny others will know whare your comeing from, its not all sunshine and F**king big houses!!! Truth is you need lots of money to maybe enjoy life over here, so for me it was out of the frying pan into the fire. I wish you luck with what you choose to do. Dont let the scumb bags get you down.

Miserable in America May 6th 2005 4:57 pm

You want my opinion of this country? Then here we go: I personally think that from an early age Amerians are brainwashed into believing that this is a great country, and to them I suppose it is, but I don't agree. We put a stop to our daughter standing up in class and pledging alligence to the flag, which was upsetting her even more. We have noticed a lot of faults like the plumbing, electricity, cell phones. There is a massive accident waiting to happen on the roads with people using cell phones, drinking coffee while driving, we have even seen one lady reading a book while driving and another with a dog on her lap! I think that kids are pushed too hard at school, kids are expected to be A grade students otherwise they are held back, it is all work and no play, which I think is wrong. The Americans do not have any manners, I don't think that the words 'please' and 'thank you' are even in their vocabulary. I could go on but I won't, I think you will get the idea of what I am talking about.

AdobePinon May 6th 2005 5:05 pm

You want my opinion of this country?

Ah, good. All standard stuff. May I suggest the following long-running thread for your viewing enjoyment: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265248

Part of the trick to sticking around in this country is being able to live around all that crap without letting it get to you (because none of us will ever make a serious dent in these issues). Some people can live that way, some can't. There is nothing wrong with the way you feel.

ladyofthelake May 6th 2005 5:13 pm

You want my opinion of this country? Then here we go: I personally think that from an early age Amerians are brainwashed into believing that this is a great country, and to them I suppose it is, but I don't agree. We put a stop to our daughter standing up in class and pledging alligence to the flag, which was upsetting her even more. We have noticed a lot of faults like the plumbing, electricity, cell phones. There is a massive accident waiting to happen on the roads with people using cell phones, drinking coffee while driving, we have even seen one lady reading a book while driving and another with a dog on her lap! I think that kids are pushed too hard at school, kids are expected to be A grade students otherwise they are held back, it is all work and no play, which I think is wrong. The Americans do not have any manners, I don't think that the words 'please' and 'thank you' are even in their vocabulary. I could go on but I won't, I think you will get the idea of what I am talking about.

Yup, I agree with all your points. The problem is there is nothing you can do personally to make these people change. The key is to accept that that is the way things are here, and it doesn't happen overnight. It really is something that needs time and practice to perfect.

How does your daughter feel now that she doesn't have to do the pledge of allegiance? My kids were more worried about standing out from the crowd, so do it in order to be like everyone else. I draw the line at them repeating it to me at home though.
:mad:
My daughter has a friend who has activities every single night and it drives me mad. The poor girls never get the chance to just play and hang out together as she always has something else on. I make a point of having only one activity each for my kids, so they can still be kids and just chill out at the end of the school day.