Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the UK that far advanced?

Is the UK that far advanced?

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the UK that far advanced?

I remember when I came out to Australia I was shocked at how far behind they were with regards to the internet. Now reading the papers I realise that the UK seems much further advanced with a lot of technology and they are leading the way for many things including the latest phone faze. They are ahead of America in many aspects as well.

Am I going to find that they are ahead in fashion? Will my girls clothes seem out of date? Are movies screened earlier in England? What is the latest T.V / digital and what can we expect if we use digital T.V. Are the terrestrial channels 1 to 5 still the same with 5 showing all the cheap shows and re-runs and 2 showing the black and white movies?

What is the latest faze for kids. Here my youngest is into Pokemon and she would like to know if they trade in primary schools there?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:29 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the UK that far advanced?

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Am I going to find that they are ahead in fashion? Will my girls clothes seem out of date? Are movies screened earlier in England?
Yes, Yes and probably yes.

What is the latest T.V / digital and what can we expect if we use digital T.V. Are the terrestrial channels 1 to 5 still the same with 5 showing all the cheap shows and re-runs and 2 showing the black and white movies?
Sky digital for 41 quid per month for everything....thats maybe 500 channels (including all the dross I'd never look at). Tonite I watched the Champions League...all 8 games simultaneously at once in little picture in picture jobbies and able to flick from game to game as I wanted in the main picture. Very cool.

What is the latest faze for kids. Here my youngest is into Pokemon and she would like to know if they trade in primary schools there?
Pokemon? That was like 5 years ago. Nintendo DS and robotic bloody horses at the moment.

Actually having moved back from the States a monthg ago I am still amazed at how much more advanced the UK is in most things.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Yes, Yes and probably yes.

Sky digital for 41 quid per month for everything....thats maybe 500 channels (including all the dross I'd never look at). Tonite I watched the Champions League...all 8 games simultaneously at once in little picture in picture jobbies and able to flick from game to game as I wanted in the main picture. Very cool.

Pokemon? That was like 5 years ago. Nintendo DS and robotic bloody horses at the moment.

Actually having moved back from the States a monthg ago I am still amazed at how much more advanced the UK is in most things.
She has Pokemon on the DS so I guess that is cool then. Maybe Pokemon is more popular here with it being closer to Japan? Guess I should take her trading card tin back to the shop then
What are robotic horses?

I like the sound of digital. Here it is still so very basic and we can't get it because of the trees Do they do multi view for the F1? Can't wait to see races live again roll on March
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:39 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I came out to Australia I was shocked at how far behind they were with regards to the internet. Now reading the papers I realise that the UK seems much further advanced with a lot of technology and they are leading the way for many things including the latest phone faze. They are ahead of America in many aspects as well.

Am I going to find that they are ahead in fashion? Will my girls clothes seem out of date? Are movies screened earlier in England? What is the latest T.V / digital and what can we expect if we use digital T.V. Are the terrestrial channels 1 to 5 still the same with 5 showing all the cheap shows and re-runs and 2 showing the black and white movies?

I think you will notice a huge difference. Much has been made of how kids here are much slower to grow up and if I compare where I came from with where I am now there is a huge difference. My eldest daughter is 8 and the clothes here are totally different. Some of the things her friends in england were wearing just made them look like minature prostitutes but I do emphasise that is only where I lived and where I live now. I can't compare where you live to where you are going back to.

the UK does drama and comedy like nowhere else and I am sure you will find the TV to your liking. Its all changed now with the introduction of freeview and the like and I don't really understand it all but if you do a google on freeview I am sure there is loads of info.

Next have a great website so you can have a look at some nice clothes for kids. If I have one "miss it" it would be that store for my kids clothes.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:43 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

She has Pokemon on the DS so I guess that is cool then. Maybe Pokemon is more popular here with it being closer to Japan? Guess I should take her trading card tin back to the shop then
What are robotic horses?

I like the sound of digital. Here it is still so very basic and we can't get it because of the trees Do they do multi view for the F1? Can't wait to see races live again roll on March
Aw she'll be fine then. Actually my daughter is into playing football and boys now so I dont really know whats the big kid craze anymore.

Robotic horses are this thing.... http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2006/09/sega_dream_pony.html

I guess they do.. I'm not an F1 fan but Sky Sports is excellent for most things. Have a gander at their webby: http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/home
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you buy their clothes at the mo? Pumpkin Patch is really big in the UK now. Uk is always one season behind Aus/NZ, whereas with european brands, Aus is behind.

The Pumpkin Patch stuff is like Next kids, nicer IMO. But the two always seem to have very similar styles so I don't think Aussie kids clothes will be that untrendy. Can't remember what ages your 3 are now but obviously there are "in" items, "must-haves" and cool/uncool brands so no doubt you will have to do a bit of catch-up.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:07 pm
Tool

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Where do you buy their clothes at the mo? Pumpkin Patch is really big in the UK now. Uk is always one season behind Aus/NZ, whereas with european brands, Aus is behind.

The Pumpkin Patch stuff is like Next kids, nicer IMO. But the two always seem to have very similar styles so I don't think Aussie kids clothes will be that untrendy. Can't remember what ages your 3 are now but obviously there are "in" items, "must-haves" and cool/uncool brands so no doubt you will have to do a bit of catch-up.
We are so trendy and far out we are way back in again.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My son was really into Pokemon and so were all his mates, so I think she'll be fine with that
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sod pokerman whats us grown up people wearing. Last year it was all military coats and gear, I looked totally naff in my fur collared coat from winter circa 1999
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sod pokerman whats us grown up people wearing. Last year it was all military coats and gear, I looked totally naff in my fur collared coat from winter circa 1999

When I left it was a sort of late 70's early 80's type thing. :scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
When I left it was a sort of late 70's early 80's type thing. :scared:
If I turn up with big hair and shoulder pads and you have this wrong there is trouble

or is that late 80's whats late 70's then?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:12 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Its the stone age in OZ, once your back in the UK you will feel like a cave man transported through time into the modern world, you won't understand how anything works and people will treat you like your retarded.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I turn up with big hair and shoulder pads and you have this wrong there is trouble

or is that late 80's whats late 70's then?

It was flowery dresses and skirts, flared trousers, jeans (hipsters mostly) with bootleg bottoms. That type of thing. Shoulder pads, not so much - thank god! I did see a few ra-ra skirts about :scared:

Best way to get an idea of what in, is to look at the catalogue sites. http://www.grattan.co.uk/Web/main/wo...ntro.asp?N=426 I know they're a bit tacky but it will give you an idea on what people are buying.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy
It was flowery dresses and skirts, flared trousers, jeans (hipsters mostly) with bootleg bottoms. That type of thing. Shoulder pads, not so much - thank god! I did see a few ra-ra skirts about :scared:

Best way to get an idea of what in, is to look at the catalogue sites. http://www.grattan.co.uk/Web/main/wo...ntro.asp?N=426 I know they're a bit tacky but it will give you an idea on what people are buying.
Love my hipsters, love my bootlegs thats good, but ra ra skirts and flowers umm
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Love my hipsters, love my bootlegs thats good, but ra ra skirts and flowers umm

Can't do hipsters anymore Need something to pull the old waist in these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.