Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thoughts about Perth and Returning to UK

Thoughts about Perth and Returning to UK

Old Mar 19th 2005, 6:06 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts about Perth and Returning to UK

Originally Posted by Superior
You sound like that ****er Derryn Hinch........
Listen here, ****-knuckle! WE have NOTHING to be ashamed of.
Touchy Touchy. Don't like the truth when it doesn't cut your way do you?

Nothing to be ashamed of...hmmm

Taking aboriginal kids from their families
Treating them as non-human (part of the flora and fauna) in the days of colonisation
Not recognising them as citizens with a right to vote until a public referendum on the matter in 1967

How about the fact that Australia's handling of the aboriginal population was one of the main lessons taken on board and developed further, bythe South African government over many decades, forming the basis of the apartheit policy there?
I know, how about stealing East Timors livelihood through its oil fields?

Do we go on or have we had enough now?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 6:15 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by kiwichild

Treating them as non-human (part of the flora and fauna) in the days of colonisation
Not recognising them as citizens with a right to vote until a public referendum on the matter in 1967

How about the fact that Australia's handling of the aboriginal population was one of the main lessons taken on board and developed further, bythe South African government over many decades, forming the basis of the apartheit policy there?

Who was it that decided to colonise OZ and take their land for a penal colony. It was Britain. Between 1788-1901 almost all of the massacres of Aboriginies took place and the worst mistreatment. During this time OZ was a BRITISH colony ruled directly from BRITAIN, all the decisions that were made that hurt the Aboriginies were made by BRITISH people. It was only after OZ became an independant country in 1901 that the massares of aboriginies stopped and the treatment of Aborigines improved.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 19th 2005 at 6:18 am.

Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:02 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Who was it that decided to colonise OZ and take their land for a penal colony. It was Britain. Between 1788-1901 almost all of the massacres of Aboriginies took place and the worst mistreatment. During this time OZ was a BRITISH colony ruled directly from BRITAIN, all the decisions that were made that hurt the Aboriginies were made by BRITISH people. It was only after OZ became an independant country in 1901 that the massares of aboriginies stopped and the treatment of Aborigines improved.
Any improvement in treatment of aboriginals has been extremely slow. They lived with virtually no rights for decades, and definitely not the same rights white people had.

Don't really want to go into a history lesson or a lesson on australian politics here. We have already taken shots in that domain. I agree with the respondent that the thread really should get back to it's topic for the benefit of others
Old Mar 19th 2005, 9:12 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Any improvement in treatment of aboriginals has been extremely slow. They lived with virtually no rights for decades, and definitely not the same rights white people had.

Don't really want to go into a history lesson or a lesson on australian politics here. We have already taken shots in that domain. I agree with the respondent that the thread really should get back to it's topic for the benefit of others
The biggest, threat to Australia,is the internal disintergration of Indonesia, being made up of hundreds of islands and different ethnic groups, we would see a hundred refugee boats a day once civil unrest became intolerable.......... mm
Old Mar 19th 2005, 9:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mr mover
The biggest, threat to Australia,is the internal disintergration of Indonesia, being made up of hundreds of islands and different ethnic groups, we would see a hundred refugee boats a day once civil unrest became intolerable.......... mm
Well possibly a more pressing area of concern in the near future is the Taiwan issue. Now china has passed a law authorising the use of military force if Taiwan declares independence. The US has an agreement to come to Taiwan's aid if it is militarily attacked. This would put Australia in a very difficult position.

Under ANZUS Australia could be requested to become involved on the side of the US. If Australia declined, then could it expect the US to really help out if the chips were down? And what of China as an important trading partner for Australia? Woudl the US suddenly become an Australian exporters dream? i don't think so.

This is one of the reasons why I advocate Australia develop it's own independent nuclear deterrent force.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

It was the British who did that, lets face it the real Australians are the Aborgines. Think what the Brits did in the Boar war also in South Africa. Lets face the Brits like others have done some shitty things in History. The white man has done some disgusting things in the name of Religion and thinking he was worth more than any other race. It was the British who invented the concentration camps. I say Man also as women didn't have the vote until the last 100 years

Last edited by Mercedes; Mar 19th 2005 at 9:56 am.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:43 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

So you're a politically correct do-gooding leftie as well? I should have known!
Cant you lot stop bitching and get back to the original thread.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:59 am
Banned

I have done some studies in social policy (international&Australian), Australian political studies, and Political Ideology, among other things. I believe in social justice for all, but I also believe in law & order and personal accountability.

Now maybe we can get back to the topic of the thread lol
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:02 am
Banned

By the way, I doubt many "politically correct do-gooding leftie's" would advocate Australia having its own independent nuclear strike force capability as I do.