Reload this Page >

Thoughts about Perth and Returning to UK

Thoughts about Perth and Returning to UK

Old Jun 13th 2004, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thoughts about Perth and Returning to UK

Originally posted by MartinC
Hi everyone, I have just discovered this board and thought I would introduce myself and talk about my feelings towards Oz and the UK.

I am 36, married with one child (2) and another due in October. My wife and I have been in Perth (Joondalup) since Nov 2002. We have a 2 bed flat in SE London which we are renting (I am so glad we did not sell it). We bought a 4-bed house in Joondalup for $350K last Nov, 10 mins walk from train station. I work in IT in the city, wife works as part-time secretary and kid goes to daycare 5 days a week.

Sounds idyllic? Well, how come I am not happy? It is strange, we came to Perth for the usual wooly reasons, like "better quality of life" and "better for kids". But honestly, I am not sure that the quality of life is better here for me.

I find the suburbs to be soulless and depressing. The landscape (bush) looks identical wherever you go. I miss the variety of Britain. The hills, mountains, lakes, fields, valleys. I miss the chance to go to Barcelona, Paris, Rome and all the other great European cities.

I miss the culture and history of Britain. I like old buildings. I like the great radio and TV programmes in Britain. Try and find a radio station in Perth that doesn't sound like "Smashy and Nicey".

I miss proper pubs. I never thought I'd say that, but I really do.

Barbies are overrated. Public ones are covered in crap so you need to spend 10 mins cleaning it before using it. I would rather be indoors in the cool than standing sweating round a BBQ.

As for the "laid back lifestyle" myth - baloney. My hours are 8:15 to 5:15, a 40-hours week. In UK it was 35 hours. The work is just as stressful. Deadlines have to be met like anywhere else. Why should Oz be more "laid back"? I also took a pay cut to come here, but on Oz wages things aren't cheaper, including houses.

I honestly think I was having a better time living in London, especially as I find lying on beaches boring!

I also don't buy the argument that Perth is better for kids. I know plenty of kids who spend all day indoors because it is too hot to play outside in the summer. I don't see why kids can't have a great time in the UK. It's up to the parents to ensure that they do!

I feel that Perth also has other problems. The work environment is nepotistic and racism rears it's head in the attitudes of co-workers and the increase in racist graffiti. Aborigines are treated like scum. Isolation breeds intolerance and ignorance.

Oh yes, and taxes are much higher than the UK!

Anyway, what I will probably end up doing is staying until my two years are up so I can get an Ozzie passport and dual citizenship. My wife insists on this. After that I will have to try and persuade her to come back to the UK.

Thanks for listening. Do you have any comments on my feelings?

Martin

You hit on the nail some of the thing I also missed whilst spending 12 years in Australia,. I'm now back in Europe and many times I also missed certain aspects of Australia. But now I wonder if I could in honesty iive back there, I moved on from England after leaving so I wonder If again I've changed that what I wanted when I lived there then would be the same now. I now live in Spain and I have the weather and here they are laid back, I have, the culture of other countries at hand when I get the desire to travel. I also have my Australian citzenship so I know I can go back. When I went to Australia, my wages were three times what I earned in England and I felt safer intially. Now my wages are three times what I earned in Australia and now living in Spain I feel safer and I like the fact it is still a family community spirit here. I liked England when I left, liked Australia when I left and now after a while I like Spain, once I stopped comparing it to everywhere else.

We are as people always changing and life experiences also change us. Stay and get your citsenship if that is important to you, then go back to Uk or try another country if it suits.

My ex-husband wouldn't have lived back in England as he hated the cold, but nowadays there are other alternatives in warmer countries nearer to home, so you can get the best of all worlds. Talk to your wife and see why she doesn't want to leave, if she doesn't want to go back to England, find a country that may suit all of you nearer to England.and commute if need be.. You can still work in England and live somewhere else. I'm a director on two british based companies and live in Spain.and I commute for meetings.if need be. and I'm near family as well which is what I wanted to be. I get the best of all worlds at the moment. One day I may go back to live in Australia, but there again maybe I won't. I have a nice detached house with orchard and sea and valley views and my partner flies over every couple of weeks to spend time with me.. So at the moment the situation is good for me, when it isn't I''ll change it..

You are in a good position of owning two properties it will help give you more flexibility. Life is too short to be unhappy so do what is right for all of you. No where is ever perfect you just have to make some changes to have some form of happiness.

If you stay the next 2 years, utilise that time in trying to enjoy it as much as you can.you may be surprised that the time will then go so much quicker and you will go back with some good memories.

So get off that computer and go and have some fun with your family.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:23 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Mr Mover,

You may like to spend some of your next 22 years looking up the word 'apostrophe'.

If you think that Oz is relatively isolated from terrorism, epecially the extreme Islamic kind, you're living in a fool's paradise.

Is your memory so short that you have forgotten the horrors of the Bali bombing - sometimes referred to as "Australia's September 11th" - where Aussies were deliberately targeted?

And Australia's nearest neighbour - Indonesia - just off the north coast of Oz has a population of 200 million - who are mainly Muslim.
how are they going to get here mike, canoes..........????? MM
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:38 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mr mover
how are they going to get here mike, canoes..........????? MM
Indonesians?

They were visiting the Gulf of Carpentaria and islands like the Pellews and Groote Eylandt in canoes long before European settlement.

So, mover dude from Adeliaide, your guess is spot on.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:07 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
Indonesians?

They were visiting the Gulf of Carpentaria and islands like the Pellews and Groote Eylandt in canoes long before European settlement.

So, mover dude from Adeliaide, your guess is spot on.
they would have to use canoes,as they dont have a navy, not worth a mention, the last diplomat i moved, told me the biggest threat from indonesia is self destruction. They are plagued with so much internal strife................ MM
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:31 pm
Sunshine coast fans

Archie70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Martin, (response from Romford, Essex)

What a brilliant message! I thought that your honesty was absolutely wonderful. Life in England at the moment is not great! I live in Romford, Essex and am totally fed up.

First of all (what a brilliant idea to keep a property over here in England), the best thing you ever did.
Let me start by telling you that property prices have gone through the roof over here. I pay £1,200 a month mortgage and cannot afford to have another child if I stay in this country!! I work full time and so does my partner. The stress of the underground and working in London is unbelievable. The weather is awful and the streets are littered with rubbish. The NHS is overrun with illness/disease from asylum seekers (TB) from everywhere. The Nigerian population are running scams and taking people's money especially on the property market. Schools are suffering and so is everything else. Council tax rates are extremely high and children can't play outside. (All our council taxes are going on interpreters and golf lessons for asylum seekers). The risk of heavy traffic and abduction are a constant threat. The whole place is grey and depressing and it constantly rains.

I really think that you should hang on and make sure you are there for the 2 years. Please don't rush back here, unless you are desperately missing family members. I would like to keep a property rented over here and move to Australia. Perhaps Perth might be a bit to remote for you if you are used to London. What about moving to the Gold Coast? Your children will have a better life over there I should imagine. It is really not the end of the World since you have your property in England. I wish you all the success.. you deserve it.

Archie
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Archie70
Martin, (response from Romford, Essex)

What a brilliant message! I thought that your honesty was absolutely wonderful. Life in England at the moment is not great! I live in Romford, Essex and am totally fed up.

First of all (what a brilliant idea to keep a property over here in England), the best thing you ever did.
Let me start by telling you that property prices have gone through the roof over here. I pay £1,200 a month mortgage and cannot afford to have another child if I stay in this country!! I work full time and so does my partner. The stress of the underground and working in London is unbelievable. The weather is awful and the streets are littered with rubbish. The NHS is overrun with illness/disease from asylum seekers (TB) from everywhere. The Nigerian population are running scams and taking people's money especially on the property market. Schools are suffering and so is everything else. Council tax rates are extremely high and children can't play outside. (All our council taxes are going on interpreters and golf lessons for asylum seekers). The risk of heavy traffic and abduction are a constant threat. The whole place is grey and depressing and it constantly rains.

I really think that you should hang on and make sure you are there for the 2 years. Please don't rush back here, unless you are desperately missing family members. I would like to keep a property rented over here and move to Australia. Perhaps Perth might be a bit to remote for you if you are used to London. What about moving to the Gold Coast? Your children will have a better life over there I should imagine. It is really not the end of the World since you have your property in England. I wish you all the success.. you deserve it.

Archie

I moved out of London for a lot of the reasons you mention but remember that the whole of England is not like this. Have you considered moving out of London?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:03 am
Just Joined

darwinite is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really understand why so many people suggest to move elsewhere in Australia.
If you don't like it here and are homesick, if you don't like the BBQ mentality, if you get bored by the beach/surfie mentality, what difference would it make moving elsewhere. Personally I would find it a waste of money and time. How many people who were unhappy in one place in Australia found the ultimate happiness by moving within in Australia? I would be interested to know.

I am not happy here either, but somewhat stuck here because of my Aussie husband who I would never leave. But we have travelled and stayed in every major city in Australia and New Zealand and I don't think that moving within Australia would make me any happier.

The things I dislike about Australia like the isolation, low salaries, lack of job opportunities, boring bush where ever you go, huge distances, BBQ culture, etc. are everywhere in Australia. In some places worse than in others, but in the end it is the same. Australian mentality is Australian mentality, Australian wages are Australian wages, Australian bush is Australian bush, BBQ is BBQ, suburbian life is the same in Melbourne as in Perth etc etc.

If you don't like Perth don't waste anymore money buy thinking it MIGHT be better in Sydney and moving there. Just move back to where you KNOW you will be happier and it sounds like that will be in the UK.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

odaat will become famous soon enough

We lived in the suburb of Kingsley, My wife was employed at the Joondalup hospital. We took our children to "junglegym" in Joondalup every weekend.

I am sure things would have been better if we had family for support .... .... maybe not !!!

Like you - I knew Perth was not a long term option within a few months of migrating, thats despite 2 years of research and travelling to Oz three times before processing for migration.

The good wife and the children were quite happy to stay, mother's and baby group were very supportive for them.

I did make a number of good friends and mates through work and the gym, I still miss one or two of them.

Like you, we stayed the two years and completed the citizenship ceremony
( Joondalup civic hall ), after the ceremony I was ready to move again and started to actively seek employment overseas and sell off property investments.

It took a further three years of planning - we arrived back in UK last year.

We do not regret the move back, then again we landed on our feet on our return and forced others to see that "in our case" - moving back was the right thing to do.

It took us a while to realise for every 100 or so who want to migrate - less than one or two will jump the hoops and red tape and actually do it, lots of interest but very little intent to follow through in my experience.

The children, and the good wife rarely even mention Oz these days, people no longer quiz our move back - life moves on and we seek new challenges to occupy us.

I continue to have a relationship with the internet and all things relating to expats, hence this thread.

If you can handle Ireland and the "troubles" , Perth and its redneck flavour should pose little problem.

Melbourne + Sydney have a different mindset, Melbourne reminds me of Bath or Oxford and Sydney reminds me of LA without the "buzz"

odaat

Originally Posted by MartinC
Hi everyone, I have just discovered this board and thought I would introduce myself and talk about my feelings towards Oz and the UK.

I am 36, married with one child (2) and another due in October. My wife and I have been in Perth (Joondalup) since Nov 2002. We have a 2 bed flat in SE London which we are renting (I am so glad we did not sell it). We bought a 4-bed house in Joondalup for $350K last Nov, 10 mins walk from train station. I work in IT in the city, wife works as part-time secretary and kid goes to daycare 5 days a week.

Sounds idyllic? Well, how come I am not happy? It is strange, we came to Perth for the usual wooly reasons, like "better quality of life" and "better for kids". But honestly, I am not sure that the quality of life is better here for me.

I find the suburbs to be soulless and depressing. The landscape (bush) looks identical wherever you go. I miss the variety of Britain. The hills, mountains, lakes, fields, valleys. I miss the chance to go to Barcelona, Paris, Rome and all the other great European cities.

I miss the culture and history of Britain. I like old buildings. I like the great radio and TV programmes in Britain. Try and find a radio station in Perth that doesn't sound like "Smashy and Nicey".

Barbies are overrated. Public ones are covered in crap so you need to spend 10 mins cleaning it before using it. I would rather be indoors in the cool than standing sweating round a BBQ.

As for the "laid back lifestyle" myth - baloney. My hours are 8:15 to 5:15, a 40-hours week. In UK it was 35 hours. The work is just as stressful. Deadlines have to be met like anywhere else. Why should Oz be more "laid back"? I also took a pay cut to come here, but on Oz wages things aren't cheaper, including houses.

I honestly think I was having a better time living in London, especially as I find lying on beaches boring!

I also don't buy the argument that Perth is better for kids. I know plenty of kids who spend all day indoors because it is too hot to play outside in the summer. I don't see why kids can't have a great time in the UK. It's up to the parents to ensure that they do!

I feel that Perth also has other problems. The work environment is nepotistic and racism rears it's head in the attitudes of co-workers and the increase in racist graffiti. Aborigines are treated like scum. Isolation breeds intolerance and ignorance.

Anyway, what I will probably end up doing is staying until my two years are up so I can get an Ozzie passport and dual citizenship. My wife insists on this. After that I will have to try and persuade her to come back to the UK.

Martin
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Martin

Sorry I don't want to sound rude.....but all this you did not know before??
Sounds to me that you rushed a bit into it...all this is a reason for me not to go to places like OZ or New Zealand.
I just love Europe with its culture and history.

Hope you will be happy again soon
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Sorry I don't want to sound rude.....but all this you did not know before??
Sounds to me that you rushed a bit into it...all this is a reason for me not to go to places like OZ or New Zealand.
I just love Europe with its culture and history.

Hope you will be happy again soon
Is difficult to know what a country is really like until you live there, especially when around every corner there is someone telling you you will have a better life there.

Your lucky that you appreciate what is on your doorstep many dont until its too late.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 7:04 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Martin
Mate, as a Kiwi having lived in different parts of OZ and currently in Perth due to study commitments, my advice is as soon as you get your citizenship: GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE AND GO LIVE WHERE LIFE EXISTS !!!

Perthites SERIOUSLY BELIEVE its the best place on earth. let them go on believing their myth. It is probably the most unfriendly, arrogant, pretentious, materialistic, superficial society on planet earth.

It's life Jim , but not as we know it :scared:
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Mate, as a Kiwi having lived in different parts of OZ and currently in Perth due to study commitments, my advice is as soon as you get your citizenship: GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE AND GO LIVE WHERE LIFE EXISTS !!!

Perthites SERIOUSLY BELIEVE its the best place on earth. let them go on believing their myth. It is probably the most unfriendly, arrogant, pretentious, materialistic, superficial society on planet earth.

Yeah so you can collect afew extra dole checks , at aussies expense. .... mm
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:08 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Yeah so you can collect afew extra dole checks , at aussies expense. .... mm
Have to so I can afford to drink imported beer as the local stuff is shite as they say
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Got to agree with some elements of this. Perth is like living in a vacuum. It's incredibly superficial and detached from real life. There is definitely something missing here.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 6:13 am
Banned

Have to so I can afford to drink imported beer as the local stuff is shite as they say
You must be the first honest "south sea pom " i have ever had the opertunity of speaking to BUT have you tried COOPERS sparkling Ale , 6,9 alc and most kiwis i have worked with, luv it............. mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.