Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Think long and hard, and then think again!

Wikiposts

Think long and hard, and then think again!

Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Think long and hard, and then think again!

There is a free trial if you want to try before you buy......I can't do without it now, lets me watch any UK show that is online, also USA, Ireland, Belgium, Canada, etc. I have only tried the UK and the USA a couple of times....

http://www.identitycloaker.com/cms/free-demo
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I watch every episode of Corrie too!! I am a Coronation Street addict LOL!!

Oh you must get that little programme you put on your computer and it "cloaks your identity" so that when you sign into it, you log onto a server in the UK then you can watch ITV and BBC player!!! I LOVE IT

Sometimes the connection is a bit hit and miss but well worth the few Euros per month.......there is also a free one but I got a bit annoyed with the pop up ads......
I did try to use one of those players and it said the program was only for UK residents. Then, I tried an anonymizer but I don't think I used it properly as I continued to get the same message. I must try it again, though.

I've been hunting for the episodes more recent than November 22 but I can't find any and I am going nuts lol! I've been reading about the tram crash that is coming up and I don't like the idea of losing Rita, Michelle and Ashley. The others don't bother me, though.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I did try to use one of those players and it said the program was only for UK residents. Then, I tried an anonymizer but I don't think I used it properly as I continued to get the same message. I must try it again, though.

I've been hunting for the episodes more recent than November 22 but I can't find any and I am going nuts lol! I've been reading about the tram crash that is coming up and I don't like the idea of losing Rita, Michelle and Ashley. The others don't bother me, though.

Yes so you download the cloak thingie, log onto the UK server and THEN go into ITV player and "it" thinks you are in the UK.....and bob's ya uncle!! Watched 2 Corries this morning and am off to watch another in a mo, I saw the Jack Duckworth one and I cried my eyes out!

I knew about Clare and Ashley but not Rita too!

On ITV player the programmes stay on the site for 30 days, so what I usually do is watch a load at the weekends as for some reason I get better connection in the day than the night, but sometimes it is not too bad. I am now up to 12th November.

I am off work with the flu today and Corrie is making me feel so much better.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes so you download the cloak thingie, log onto the UK server and THEN go into ITV player and "it" thinks you are in the UK.....and bob's ya uncle!! Watched 2 Corries this morning and am off to watch another in a mo, I saw the Jack Duckworth one and I cried my eyes out!

I knew about Clare and Ashley but not Rita too!

On ITV player the programmes stay on the site for 30 days, so what I usually do is watch a load at the weekends as for some reason I get better connection in the day than the night, but sometimes it is not too bad. I am now up to 12th November.

I am off work with the flu today and Corrie is making me feel so much better.
I cried at Jack's death, too. Ever so sad to see him go. I don't like all these changes they are about to make. I don't like that new pub either. I like traditional Coronation Street )) I grew up with it and I have watched it for years. I used to watch Emergency Ward 10 growing up, too, but that went off the air.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Bee, I can totally relate to that sentiment. That's how it is for me here in the U.S. I feel like a fish on the outside of the goldfish bowl. I listen to people in raptures over some place or event here and I just look at them as if they are mad!

I try to find every picture, video and photo of Britain that I can find. I try to listen to every episode of Coronation Street on YouTube. That's real life, more or less, not being surrounded by some shallow, empty materialistic society whose people laugh at the most ridiculous things and get so involved in being "busy busy" they forget how they feel and what life is about. Total emptiness here.
I really understand about what you mean when you say "busy busy " my MIL is typical of that ...totally removed from REAL conversation

We are in a similar neck of the woods ,most of what you have been posting about today, I can relate to -even my DH can and he was born here lol !

I am really surprised you have lasted as long as you have ,you are a strong woman

I must add though ,(and this is ment kindly ) even when folk round here are kind and friendly ,we have no interest taking it any further KWIM ?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I really understand about what you mean when you say "busy busy " my MIL is typical of that ...totally removed from REAL conversation

We are in a similar neck of the woods ,most of what you have been posting about today, I can relate to -even my DH can and he was born here lol !

I am really surprised you have lasted as long as you have ,you are a strong woman

I must add though ,(and this is ment kindly ) even when folk round here are kind and friendly ,we have no interest taking it any further KWIM ?
Do you mean in your neck of the woods or right here in the forum? I couldn't last much longer. My energy is gone and so is most of my enthusiasm for living "here". It's been a real drain.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Do you mean in your neck of the woods or right here in the forum? I couldn't last much longer. My energy is gone and so is most of my enthusiasm for living "here". It's been a real drain.
No,I mean geographically lol

I think we are surrounded by the same annoying things ...
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
No,I mean geographically lol

I think we are surrounded by the same annoying things ...
Ohh, yes. I understand now. And as far as not taking it any further, I do the same thing. I don't trust it even when they are friendly - and it is NOT to be trusted. They are too shallow and insincere!

I was SO naive when I came here. I beat my head against brick walls repeatedly. Now, I have the street smarts I should have had when I arrived here but didn't because I didn't need them in Britain. I have my wits about me and I trust nothing and no one any more.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:25 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Ohh, yes. I understand now. And as far as not taking it any further, I do the same thing. I don't trust it even when they are friendly - and it is NOT to be trusted. They are too shallow and insincere!

I was SO naive when I came here. I beat my head against brick walls repeatedly. Now, I have the street smarts I should have had when I arrived here but didn't because I didn't need them in Britain. I have my wits about me and I trust nothing and no one any more.
Yes and isn't that an awful way to live. I used to think it was me that there was something wrong Maybe there is. But now I'm back in England for a few months I recall first moving to the US, 15 years ago and being almost scared of certain things. That gradually turned into the numbness and distrustfulness that you describe and I became like everyone else.

Coming back home 6 weeks ago I was like a 'coiled spring.' Slowly I have unwound both physically and mentally and now see the 'lie' that I have been living. The relaxed atmosphere is unsettling as I keep thinking when is it going to change...

So far in the 6 weeks I have been back. I dropped my wallet at the beginning of a 2 hour hike. When I returned to my car and realized I was panic struck. As I wa searching franctically for it a couple drove up and handed it to me saying they had seen it on the roadside ... so nice.

Just yesterday, someone lent/gave me 20p at a car park ticket machine, not the amount, but the gesture was significant as this is a region where unemployment is rife.

I recognize these acts of humanity could and most likely do happen in other places but they have certainly honed my focus where I want to be.

Last edited by confusedenglishrose; Nov 25th 2010 at 12:28 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Yes and isn't that an awful way to live. I used to think it was me that there was something wrong Maybe there is. But now I'm back in England for a few months I recall first moving to the US, 15 years ago and being almost scared of certain things. That gradually turned into the numbness and distrustfulness that you describe and I became like everyone else.

Coming back home 6 weeks ago I was like a 'coiled spring.' Slowly I have unwound both physically and mentally and now see the 'lie' that I have been living. The relaxed atmosphere is unsettling as I keep thinking when is it going to change...

So far in the 6 weeks I have been back. I dropped my wallet at the beginning of a 2 hour hike. When I returned to my car and realized I was panic struck. As I wa searching franctically for it a couple drove up and handed it to me saying they had seen it on the roadside ... so nice.

Just yesterday, someone lent/gave me 20p at a car park ticket machine, not the amount, but the gesture was significant as this is a region where unemployment is rife.

I recognize these acts of humanity could and most likely do happen in other places but they have certainly honed my focus where I want to be.
Oh I like this post..........very much....how are the 2 glass jars of coins looking today? I didn't realise you were over there already.

You see this is what I keep going on about the FEELINGS. It's like you have on comfy old slippers as opposed to killer high heels, the heels might look great but they don't comfort you like the old slippers.........that's how I feel back in England comforted and soothed and CONNECTED to everything.....whereas here I feel disconnection and like somebody on the outside looking in a window......and I can't bear the heat the older I am getting, and the sense of humour just goes right over my head so I live here in my own little bubble, watching Coronation Street and hanging around the ex pats forum LOL!!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, it's not you. I think it is just a completely different way of life - a life based on a different set of values. It's easy to fall into this trap when they speak the same language, at least on the surface. We tend to think the lifestyle is the same. It isn't.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:49 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it's not you. I think it is just a completely different way of life - a life based on a different set of values. It's easy to fall into this trap when they speak the same language, at least on the surface. We tend to think the lifestyle is the same. It isn't.
So very true. It is a completely different way of life and the common language does delude you. Not complaining, I have enjoyed my 15 or so years there but from the outset knew I was different and frankly that never changed. I really don't think because of me. From the beginning I threw myself into immersing myself into everything American. I have never been one of those Expat Brits (except for here) that seeks out other Brits abroad, goes to expat clubs, meetings etc. I sought immersion or "Borg" assimilation as the Trekkies will appreciate.

But the distinctions and differences have always been there, popping there heads up at the most inopportune time. I have lost count of the number of times over those years that thinking Americans (there are some) have asked what the heck I am doing in their country when I come from England!!? Why they always ask. And I am usually lost for words or caused to reflect on my own decisions. I recall somewhere in my past reading that INS stats (we all know what statistics are) show that Western Europeans migrating to the USA, nearly always return within 10 - 15 years.

And that is probably the crux of the issue. I have seen other posts and it is so very true. If you arrive in the USA not out of necessity or a feeling of escaping from your old country then I think it is a difficult place to come to terms with. I always remember 'give me your tired...' or something like that. Well I was not tired, hungry, or poor when I came. I will be when I leave. As they say I started out with nothing and I still have most of that left! But the journey has been fun.

I had an American friend who told me a story about how he was having flooring installed in his expensive DC apartment. The work was being done by immigrants, I think Greek. The inevitable happened, some work was screwed up. He was apologetic in admitting he 'lost it' with the Greek contractor and said something bad about immigrants and not doing work properly....

The response he got though humbled him. The Greek gentleman said. "I may be an immigrant. But you had the misfortune to be born here, I choose to live here!!

Or not. Suppose it applies everywhere really?

Last edited by confusedenglishrose; Nov 25th 2010 at 11:52 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:30 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice