Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Some positive news about Britain

Some positive news about Britain

Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all
Default Re: Some positive news about Britain

Originally Posted by cricket1
But you are a police officer with a grievance about the UK and you're planning to leave aren't you? So you do have a bias.

Like Oldbag, I've only ever lived in villages, market towns and semi rural areas in the UK and that's what I intend going back to. I've never been directly affected by crime but my neighbours have, I always kept a huge dog. He was the best burglar alarm.
I've seen more crime living in a 'nice' suburb on the gold coast, serious crimes like shootings, in the 5 years I've been here than in 45 years of living in the UK.
But im talking about crime in general. And i dont have a bias, but ten years ago, there wasnt as much violent crime as today (in Manchester anyway). Petty shit crime may be down, but in general its worse now than when i joined up.
Yes, i admit, its not bad everywhere. As i have said before - if i could afford to live and work in a nice rural setting where my daughter could grow up safe and sensible - i would. Sadly, im not that wealthy or lucky.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:14 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

But you are a police officer with a grievance about the UK and you're planning to leave aren't you? So you do have a bias.

Like Oldbag, I've only ever lived in villages, market towns and semi rural areas in the UK and that's what I intend going back to. I've never been directly affected by crime but my neighbours have, I always kept a huge dog. He was the best burglar alarm.
I've seen more crime living in a 'nice' suburb on the gold coast, serious crimes like shootings, in the 5 years I've been here than in 45 years of living in the UK.

I need to correct you on this, cricket....I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so was used to a very quite and peaceful life, however in recent years I lived on the outskirts of Manchester, which was in sharp contrast to my blissfully peaceful childhood. We experienced 18 years of increasing crime and violence literally on our doorstep. There were far too many instances to bore you with; many were reported to the police, who were SO slow in responding that eventually, like many of our neighbours, we just gave up calling them.....and this is the continuing trend, especially in densely populated areas. The police became a joke; two of them actually admitted to me and Mr Oldbag that they were afraid to attend call outs in the area because of the gangs of violent yobs! This is the reason I could not persuade Mr O to go back to that area, and so we now live in rural West Sussex where, as I said, we're enjoying a quiet and peaceful life once again.

BTW we lived in a very small town in Ontario which, we were led to believe, was virtually crime-free. It was only after moving in we discovered it was a drug-dealing centre and had a huge problem with drink-driving teens. The only "major" crime was an attempted robbery of the ATM on the main street, but when the town has a population of only 2000, this is classed as a "crime wave"......so it's all relative.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:19 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
I need to correct you on this, cricket....I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so was used to a very quite and peaceful life, however in recent years I lived on the outskirts of Manchester, which was in sharp contrast to my blissfully peaceful childhood. We experienced 18 years of increasing crime and violence literally on our doorstep. There were far too many instances to bore you with; many were reported to the police, who were SO slow in responding that eventually, like many of our neighbours, we just gave up calling them.....and this is the continuing trend, especially in densely populated areas. The police became a joke; two of them actually admitted to me and Mr Oldbag that they were afraid to attend call outs in the area because of the gangs of violent yobs! This is the reason I could not persuade Mr O to go back to that area, and so we now live in rural West Sussex where, as I said, we're enjoying a quiet and peaceful life once again.

BTW we lived in a very small town in Ontario which, we were led to believe, was virtually crime-free. It was only after moving in we discovered it was a drug-dealing centre and had a huge problem with drink-driving teens. The only "major" crime was an attempted robbery of the ATM on the main street, but when the town has a population of only 2000, this is classed as a "crime wave"......so it's all relative.
I do remember the farmer Tony Martin case, think that was his name, and the big debate about rural crime being a problem so yes Oldbag, you're probably right in this respect. Before I left the UK, I lived in a village on the outskirts of Northampton and while my neighbours experienced being robbed, we never did. Occasionally, there would be a spree on all the villages, like a drive through robbery. Three of us never got broken into and we all believe it was because we kept large dogs.
I think UK insurance companies now give a discount if you keep a dog. I wouldn't live out in the sticks again, I'd prefer the safety in numbers logic, the big dog and everything locked and out of sight.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:19 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
But im talking about crime in general. And i dont have a bias, but ten years ago, there wasnt as much violent crime as today (in Manchester anyway). Petty shit crime may be down, but in general its worse now than when i joined up.
Yes, i admit, its not bad everywhere. As i have said before - if i could afford to live and work in a nice rural setting where my daughter could grow up safe and sensible - i would. Sadly, im not that wealthy or lucky.
You've said this before. Couldn't you just get a transfer in the UK?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:09 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

I do remember the farmer Tony Martin case, think that was his name, and the big debate about rural crime being a problem so yes Oldbag, you're probably right in this respect. Before I left the UK, I lived in a village on the outskirts of Northampton and while my neighbours experienced being robbed, we never did. Occasionally, there would be a spree on all the villages, like a drive through robbery. Three of us never got broken into and we all believe it was because we kept large dogs.
I think UK insurance companies now give a discount if you keep a dog. I wouldn't live out in the sticks again, I'd prefer the safety in numbers logic, the big dog and everything locked and out of sight.
Never heard of that one! I've never been asked if I have a dog, big or small; discounts usually depend on where you live, what type of alarm (if any), number of rooms, if it's a gated community, type of building, what it's built of, etc. But dogs - I think you're mistaken.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Don't make me

They're "tackling" obesity as well....

As I said earlier, I'm really happy to be back home, and am lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of the country where crime doesn't affect us, but all this debating about whether crime is worse Here than There is ridiculous. Crime happens everywhere, in every country to a greater or lesser degree, it even varies from one town to the next.....but hey, you're not stupid.....I don't need to tell you that. I just wish these endless debates about Where is The Better Place to Live would stop.....it doesn't make a scrap of difference. Perhaps if all those who grumble about how bad their area is did something constructive, things might change. Talking won't do it.
They're also "tackling" excessive drinking by making us pay through the nose for our weekly bottle of Merlot. Blinkin nanny state.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

You've said this before. Couldn't you just get a transfer in the UK?
That may have to be plan B.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:12 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

That may have to be plan B.
Diggler I'm an idiot, so go with plan B
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:11 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
The UK is no different from any other country in the world. Shit happens. However for the most part good stuff happens. That's why the shit makes the headlines - it sells papers. Most people's lives for the majority of the time is good wherever they are so the bad stuff stands out. Someone has a signature on here about 'think negatively and negative stuff will happen, think positively and your life will be happier' or words to that effect.
personally I am extremely grateful we have a free-press which can hold to account all the scumbags who would otherwise try and rip of the general public. Case in point, Barclays, who have been exposed as not contributing a cent in tax, are now asking for a taxpayer handout to bail them out of the dogdoo. POor things!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:23 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, im not that wealthy or lucky.
I watched "The Sweeney" last night on my satellite system and the episode was about bent cops, one did so well that he had 3 houses and a boat maybe this idea could be your Plan C.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I watched "The Sweeney" last night on my satellite system and the episode was about bent cops, one did so well that he had 3 houses and a boat maybe this idea could be your Plan C.
Maybe it should be plan A !
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:47 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it should be plan A !
Agreed and next time I see "The Sweeney" I shall think of you battling the hardened elements of modern society and keeping the whiners safe in their houses Are you as tough and uncompromising D.I Regan?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you as tough and uncompromising D.I Regan?
Life on Mars (if youve seen it).....More of a Gene Hunt....

I wish.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:43 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Life on Mars (if youve seen it).....More of a Gene Hunt....

I wish.
I don`t know it but "Life on Mars" means David Bowie to me and have just looked it up and it sounds very interesting and the sort of thing I`d enjoy watching (and coincidently its named after the Bowie song) Will certainly make a point of trying to watch it.

Apparently there is an American version with Harvey Keitel.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don`t know it but "Life on Mars" means David Bowie to me and have just looked it up and it sounds very interesting and the sort of thing I`d enjoy watching (and coincidently its named after the Bowie song) Will certainly make a point of trying to watch it.

Apparently there is an American version with Harvey Keitel.
If you get chance, watch it. Cracking 70,s cop comedy drama - pre human rights and all that bollox. Great stuff !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.