Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Some positive news about Britain

Some positive news about Britain

Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:23 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some positive news about Britain

Originally Posted by cricket1
I think the perception of crime is what varies.

People tend to live closer together in the UK and places are linked closer together by the network of motorways. This suggests that crime can happen quicker, be reported quicker and make the news headlines quicker giving a sense that it's happening all the time.

In Australia, people still live closer together, there is some degree of safety in this, i would not live out in the sticks here, whereas I was happy to in the UK. However, due to the geographical expanse of land size, places are much farther apart. This means crime, while still high, takes longer to happen, longer to notice that it's happened and by the time it's been reported, it's way down the list of what constitutes news headlines so it doesn't impact on the minds of the public in the same way that it does in the UK. This is why it's so helpful to hear good news about crime falling for a change.

Also police response times are very different. In the UK, the police are fairly quick to respond while here they depending on the crime, they may respond a day later or not at all. It's very different and it leaves people feeling very vulnerable to think that they are not protected.

I notice crime much more here than I ever did in the UK.
Apologies for joining the party late, but, as a matter of curiosity, when did you last live in the UK? I do have to take issue with your statement that "the police are fairly quick to respond" That is complete bollox; I'm not going to quote personal experiences because firstly, they happened some time ago and secondly it has no relevance as you don't actually know me. But believe me on this.....you are wrong!
A recent poll suggested that only 38% of the population has any faith in the police......much of this gleaned from personal experience.
Oh - and BTW, crime isn't actually falling it is reported crime that is falling......a big difference.
Now whilst I absolutely love being back home and haven't for one second regretted the decision to return,
Be happy when you return, but open your eyes first.

PS Someone else may have raised these points, but I haven't read all the way through this thread..just thought I'd add my thoughts
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:29 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yes....you obviously live in a pretty poor area.

No one I know lives in a place like that.

maybe do a bit more research next time you buy a house

You don't know me either, so you could accurately say that "no-one I know lives in a place like that". Just because you don't know anyone who lives in such a place does not mean it doesn't happen...........take your blinkers off! I happened to live in a reasonably "good area" a few years ago, and we experienced the same sort of problems that Sleeping Beauty describes
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:26 am
itchy feet again!

You're a sheep following a headless flock Coda. If you think reading the newspaper gives any true sense of a perceived reality about what really goes in the UK, then you really are just helping to sell newspapers.
so why do you so often quote them, as in your OP?

Here's some more happy news about the UK
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/in...rticleid=21558

Last edited by Jay Bird; Mar 13th 2009 at 8:14 am.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:08 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
and BTW, crime isn't actually falling it is reported crime that is falling......a big difference.
see here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=18
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is no different from any other country in the world. Shit happens. However for the most part good stuff happens. That's why the shit makes the headlines - it sells papers. Most people's lives for the majority of the time is good wherever they are so the bad stuff stands out. Someone has a signature on here about 'think negatively and negative stuff will happen, think positively and your life will be happier' or words to that effect.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:51 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for joining the party late, but, as a matter of curiosity, when did you last live in the UK? I do have to take issue with your statement that "the police are fairly quick to respond" That is complete bollox; I'm not going to quote personal experiences because firstly, they happened some time ago and secondly it has no relevance as you don't actually know me. But believe me on this.....you are wrong!
A recent poll suggested that only 38% of the population has any faith in the police......much of this gleaned from personal experience.
Oh - and BTW, crime isn't actually falling it is reported crime that is falling......a big difference.
Now whilst I absolutely love being back home and haven't for one second regretted the decision to return,

PS Someone else may have raised these points, but I haven't read all the way through this thread..just thought I'd add my thoughts

Thanks for the lecture. <<snip>>. Thank God I'm booked on a flight to go home in 7 weeks.

FYI, I lived in the UK 5 years ago but my daughter lives there and so do my friends who I speak to every week. It was according to them, not me, that the UK police respond fairly quickly. I imagine it depends on the nature of the crime.
I've always lived in a villages and market towns, had a charmed existence, still do and I intend to go back home and live in the same way. My life has always been what I've made of it and it's always been good in the UK. It has just about been bearable here in Oz but mostly that's because I haven't wanted to be here, not because there's anything particularly wrong with Australia.

Last edited by Sue; Mar 14th 2009 at 1:29 pm. Reason: Remark removed
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:53 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

BTW How do you know that crime isn't falling? Have you a hotline to the Home Office?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:08 pm
itchy feet again!

BTW How do you know that crime isn't falling? Have you a hotline to the Home Office?
Good question.....no I don't have a hotline to the Home Office, but the couple I work for do!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:15 pm
Banned

Good question.....no I don't have a hotline to the Home Office, but the couple I work for do!
Well maybe they'll be as pleased as I am to read this then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ent_crime.html

No doubt will find something to pick it to pieces over but I for one think it's good news that the UK government are tackling youth crime as a whole.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:31 pm
itchy feet again!

Well maybe they'll be as pleased as I am to read this then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ent_crime.html

No doubt will find something to pick it to pieces over but I for one think it's good news that the UK government are tackling youth crime as a whole.

Don't make me

They're "tackling" obesity as well....

As I said earlier, I'm really happy to be back home, and am lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of the country where crime doesn't affect us, but all this debating about whether crime is worse Here than There is ridiculous. Crime happens everywhere, in every country to a greater or lesser degree, it even varies from one town to the next.....but hey, you're not stupid.....I don't need to tell you that. I just wish these endless debates about Where is The Better Place to Live would stop.....it doesn't make a scrap of difference. Perhaps if all those who grumble about how bad their area is did something constructive, things might change. Talking won't do it.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:38 pm
Banned

Don't make me

They're "tackling" obesity as well....

As I said earlier, I'm really happy to be back home, and am lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of the country where crime doesn't affect us, but all this debating about whether crime is worse Here than There is ridiculous. Crime happens everywhere, in every country to a greater or lesser degree, it even varies from one town to the next.....but hey, you're not stupid.....I don't need to tell you that. I just wish these endless debates about Where is The Better Place to Live would stop.....it doesn't make a scrap of difference. Perhaps if all those who grumble about how bad their area is did something constructive, things might change. Talking won't do it.

For Gods sake don't mention....how can i say this............that O word. (obesity). We'll be shot.

Hey the good news I've heard so far is that Comic Relief raised a record 57 million. How good is that? Means people have both hearts and some money.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

I have to agree with the oldbag, i dont think crime is falling.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:50 pm
itchy feet again!

For Gods sake don't mention....how can i say this............that O word. (obesity). We'll be shot.

Hey the good news I've heard so far is that Comic Relief raised a record 57 million. How good is that? Means people have both hearts and some money.
I wish I'd had the patience to watch it, but as soon as I heard Jonathon Woss's voice I switched it off, and I haven't seen the figures yet. £57million would be stupendous. Judging by the number of people who rang the Jeremy Vine show (BBC2) during a discussion as to whether Comic Relief was needed, we are still a very generous nation.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Diggler
I have to agree with the oldbag, i dont think crime is falling.
But you are a police officer with a grievance about the UK and you're planning to leave aren't you? So you do have a bias.

Like Oldbag, I've only ever lived in villages, market towns and semi rural areas in the UK and that's what I intend going back to. I've never been directly affected by crime but my neighbours have, I always kept a huge dog. He was the best burglar alarm.
I've seen more crime living in a 'nice' suburb on the gold coast, serious crimes like shootings, in the 5 years I've been here than in 45 years of living in the UK.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:56 pm
Banned

I wish I'd had the patience to watch it, but as soon as I heard Jonathon Woss's voice I switched it off, and I haven't seen the figures yet. £57million would be stupendous. Judging by the number of people who rang the Jeremy Vine show (BBC2) during a discussion as to whether Comic Relief was needed, we are still a very generous nation.
I agree and despite the UK having a hard time economically, it's so good to see them dig deep into their pockets. (I don't like Jonathon Ross either).
Another bit of upbeat news, albeit confusing, is that retail sales were up in the UK recently. Funny contrast with all the doom and gloom merchants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.