So confused.

Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:41 pm
FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

karlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to all
Default Re: So confused.

I have to thank everyone for their support and just for posting their advice & their own experiences.
You have all helped me feel comfortable in making the decision to leave. I don't think I said enough about my hubby, he does feel the same as me but maybe to a lesser extent - he is willing to give it longer & see how it goes, whereas I want to get out now while our UK life is not yet all that distant.

I know I am doing the right thing because I feel happier, more settled & less sick
Not sure when it's going to happen yet, need to get saving now, wish I had come to this decision before christmas. I am really hoping for April (or sooner if at all possible)
My husband does agree, he feels the same & he is happy for us to plan the move home now. His gripes are more with work than anything else but when we talk the list goes on, and on, and on.

Maybe all us lonely adelaidians should all have a quick get together for a coffee & a moan before we all leave - they do say misery loves company
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you,

I was the one that tried to stay longer but once i made the decision to go you feel better we have had to wait out the 6 months for the dog so it has seemed a long wait but 19 days to go and we leave the southern hemisphere for good! Good luck with your plans
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Dan you sound like a nice guy to me.Atleast you're not bitter and twisted,and have a balanced view of both countries.Hope it all works out well for you and yes I totally understand how you feel.
Livinginreality,
You are absolutely and positively 100% correct.....yes I am a nice guy!!!
Thanks for your kind words and I'm sure it all will....I'll keep you posted as to our 'progress'!!!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janeyk
Best of luck to you,

I was the one that tried to stay longer but once i made the decision to go you feel better we have had to wait out the 6 months for the dog so it has seemed a long wait but 19 days to go and we leave the southern hemisphere for good! Good luck with your plans
I know how you feel....our dog has just gone for his first rabies injection...is it 6 months from this date? I think our vet mentioned 7.5 months........ bugger that for a game of soldiers!!!!
Dan
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

no 6 months from the blood test which is 3 weeks after the jab some vets recommend 2 jabs 2 weeks apart to be sure we took the chance with one and kept the costs donwn fron NZ the blood test cost us $350 on its own the jab $80
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janeyk
no 6 months from the blood test which is 3 weeks after the jab some vets recommend 2 jabs 2 weeks apart to be sure we took the chance with one and kept the costs donwn fron NZ the blood test cost us $350 on its own the jab $80
Yeah thanks for that,
Vet is actually doing 2 in 2 weeks like you said - he reckons its cheaper that way should the first fail.....which often does apparently....and judging by how many infections our dog has had lately i'm not taking any chances!!!
dan
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:46 pm
We're going home...yeay!!

Location: Crossing off the days until I can leave Oz and go home.
Tracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really nice

Originally Posted by karlakoala
I have to thank everyone for their support and just for posting their advice & their own experiences.
You have all helped me feel comfortable in making the decision to leave. I don't think I said enough about my hubby, he does feel the same as me but maybe to a lesser extent - he is willing to give it longer & see how it goes, whereas I want to get out now while our UK life is not yet all that distant.

I know I am doing the right thing because I feel happier, more settled & less sick
Not sure when it's going to happen yet, need to get saving now, wish I had come to this decision before christmas. I am really hoping for April (or sooner if at all possible)
My husband does agree, he feels the same & he is happy for us to plan the move home now. His gripes are more with work than anything else but when we talk the list goes on, and on, and on.

Maybe all us lonely adelaidians should all have a quick get together for a coffee & a moan before we all leave - they do say misery loves company
We are pleased you are feeling better now your decision is made. I know just how good that feels. The money saving and planning stage drags but the reward will be at the end, well thats what we are finding.

Yes meeting up would be great because so often we will be the only ones of a group who are leaving Adelaide and are considered mad to leave, even though there can be plenty of griping!

So where and when?

How about the end of January ?
How about Brighton esplanade?

Or what works for everyone. Any interest?

Matt & Tracy
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Question Re: So confused.

Hi
Been reading this thread. We are in ayrshire scotland, and want to move to OZ or NZ, but a lot of people are coming home.
And now we are really lost as to what to do, its so hard when a lot of you are homesick etc etc . Is is that bad? Is it so expensive as they say?
hubby is in aerospace industry, so going on his skills.
Just don't know where to start, agent or not?
And hubby had a telephone interview for NZ last night , so we need to get deciding.
Got two kids 9 and 11, daughter going to secondary this year , so need to get finger out, but we are well and truly stuck .......
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:37 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

rackcatt
Hi
Been reading this thread. We are in ayrshire scotland, and want to move to OZ or NZ, but a lot of people are coming home.
And now we are really lost as to what to do, its so hard when a lot of you are homesick etc etc . Is is that bad? Is it so expensive as they say?
hubby is in aerospace industry, so going on his skills.
Just don't know where to start, agent or not?
And hubby had a telephone interview for NZ last night , so we need to get deciding.
Got two kids 9 and 11, daughter going to secondary this year , so need to get finger out, but we are well and truly stuck .......

Hi

It is such a personal decision and totally depends on your family.

Homesickness you won't know about until you can't have access to the things that you love and that bring you peace. And often, I have found, they are unusal things - not what you would have expected. And some people suffer little.

I will caution this - it is a long long long way to come.
If at all possible have a back up plan to enable a return if in a year or so you don't enjoy it.

There is good and bad about each country (I am in NZ, but am going home to Scotland).
Weigh up why you are moving and then decide.

If you want an adventure - go for it.
I would never tell people not to come out here (I was born here originally) but it is an island and is along way from other countries and a lot of things, I feel effect the life here because of this.

It is also more expensive than you may imagine. We certainly have found that anyway.

Sometimes it is not a new country that people need but just a new area within their own.

What I will say about our time here is that it has given me a far deeper appreciation for the UK and all that it offers, both myself and my children.
The things that we, as a family enjoy, are things more on offer there, not here.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:32 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ble
Hi

Homesickness you won't know about until you can't have access to the things that you love and that bring you peace. And often, I have found, they are unusal things - not what you would have expected. And some people suffer little.

If at all possible have a back up plan to enable a return if in a year or so you don't enjoy it.

There is good and bad about each country (I am in NZ, but am going home to Scotland).

I would never tell people not to come out here (I was born here originally) but it is an island and is along way from other countries and a lot of things, I feel effect the life here because of this.

It is also more expensive than you may imagine. We certainly have found that anyway.

Sometimes it is not a new country that people need but just a new area within their own.

What I will say about our time here is that it has given me a far deeper appreciation for the UK and all that it offers, both myself and my children.
The things that we, as a family enjoy, are things more on offer there, not here.
I second all of this. Go on an adventure (if you think your kids will handle it) but be prepared in case you want to come back. I had almost no homesickness in the first three or so. I was mesmorized by my new surroundings and was totally committed to making a new life with my husband. However, seven years later we have children and I can't believe the change in my feelings. I want my children to grow up around people we know and love. My husband's family are just plain weird so we have little to no support and we feel little connection to this place as a result.

Would I change it though? NO way. It has been an amazing opportunity and I see the UK very differently. I observe it like an excited tourist when I go home and take notice of things I always took for granted. I value the place and the people so much more than if I'd simply stayed.

Be warned though, it has been a costly endeavour and I didn't get to spend much time with my Dad before he died (or with my poor Mum). It's an emotional roller coaster at times so be prepared.

I've also noticed people dislike Aus with a greater intensity than most places....or so it appears. Maybe it's the heat, being so far away.....I'm in Canada and people often settle well here..... but it's just not for me long term.

Good luck to you.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:11 am
FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

karlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ble
Hi

And I'll be the second to second that! Very good advice

I don't think I regret doing it (except the finances of it)
It has been an experience & we have seen & done things since being here that we would never have done if we hadn't come here. We learned things about ourselves that we wouldn't know if we didn't do it.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:13 am
FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

Originally Posted by Tracijbc
We are pleased you are feeling better now your decision is made. I know just how good that feels. The money saving and planning stage drags but the reward will be at the end, well thats what we are finding.

Yes meeting up would be great because so often we will be the only ones of a group who are leaving Adelaide and are considered mad to leave, even though there can be plenty of griping!

So where and when?

How about the end of January ?
How about Brighton esplanade?

Or what works for everyone. Any interest?

Matt & Tracy
Sounds good to me, never been to brighton beach so it's something new too.

(meet up on Australia day to gripe about Australia )
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:45 pm
We're going home...yeay!!

Location: Crossing off the days until I can leave Oz and go home.
Tracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really nice

Sounds good to me, never been to brighton beach so it's something new too.

(meet up on Australia day to gripe about Australia )
Sounds like a plan Stan.... anyone else in Adelaide up for it? The Brighton Espy is pretty good, but we are happy to wend our merry way to most places within Metro Adelaide.

Drop me a PM or a text on 0435172933 and we'll get a meeting up and running for the "Returning to the UK" meet up.

Cheers

Tracy (and Matt) x
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

H Traci & Matt, Would love to come to your meet up on Australia day but am doing my citizenship ceremony. haha how mad is that, its got to be done though as you never know what the future holds eh! xxx
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

bev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nice
Smile Re: So confused.

I haven't actually posted on here since leaving the UK although I do still have a read quite regularly. I feel the need to post again now because I am not sure that I have made the right decision. I guess I just need to discuss this with someone other than my darling hubby who must be sick of hearing it all.

Basically I cannot stop thinking that I want to go home. Been in Adelaide almost 11 months now and have spent at least the last 5 months feeling like this. There are so many reasons, more than I can detail here but I miss my family & friends more than I could have imagined and the only thing I like about being here is the weather & the beaches.
I feel miserable & sick every day, didn't feel like this back home no matter how badly I wanted to leave.
I feel like I have made a huge mistake by leaving my life in the UK. My husband kind of agrees with me but thinks we should stay longer before we decide and I see his point but I am more concerned that waiting could make our situation worse. His old job would still be available to him if we were to make the move now but how long will that be the case. We moved here on his skills & now he works longer hours for less money. My 14 yr old son likes it here but I haven't mentioned anything about a possibility of moving home to him so have no idea how he would feel about it, I don't want to mention it to him until I have a clearer opinion myself.
I don't want to become a yoyo pom, can't afford to be a yoyo pom - hence the confusion, how can you be sure? I know the answer to that one, you can't! So how do I decide what to do?

I would just love to speak to others who maybe in the same boat or who have already moved back home after emigrating.

So sorry to hear your unhappy and I kind of know how you feel. Speak to your husband and be clear on what you both want and you children will be happy as you both are.

I'm probably not the right person to give you advice because we returned after just 5 months. I knew that Australia would never be my home but wanted the experience and probably would have stayed a little bit longer than we did if my husband would have give it a bit longer. But he didn't want to stay because he knew we were going home and wanted to get the kids back to "our" normal

Good luck and chin up and be positive

Homes home when it feels like Home. Doesn't matter where it is. It just so happens that our home's in the Uk with our family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.