Riots in the cities

Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Re: Riots in the cities

I would still like to consider moving back in the next couple of years. But it had definitely made me rethink where. Unfortunately convincing my Canadian husband now might be much harder! However if things become worse, I would fear for the future of my family also.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I was pleased with this also. A lot of it was organized on facebook. I noticed a lot of friends are now liking pages about clean up and back lash against the rioters.

They were good pictures with all those brooms weren't they? Great spirit.

They'll probably feature on HIGNFY in a few months.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:10 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I love this photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixel-eight/6024429000/
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Me too.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Watched the report on North West tonight.....this might be the kick up the backside the "chav's" have needed for years, its good to see the general public backlash against these low life's, what made me feel confident about the future is that all the volunteers both young and old who came out and helped/cleaned/mended etc and voiced their active dislike of these criminals, the public have had enough of these "easy riders" lets hope this is a fresh start.
It was great to see all the young people show up in both Manchester and London with their brooms.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

These disturbances won't make a difference to our plans to return in early 2012.

We hope to be somewhere in the West Country which seems a long way away from London & Manchester geographically and culturally.

The perpetrators are scum that need to be caught and punished.

However, it's been clear to me for a long time that there is an "under-class" in the UK, which, to use an old Etonian's words, is "sick". If something is sick it needs to be treated or healed in some way, doesn't it?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Which part of the West Country are you heading to ? We are looking at Somerset or Wiltshire.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
However, it's been clear to me for a long time that there is an "under-class" in the UK, which, to use an old Etonian's words, is "sick". If something is sick it needs to be treated or healed in some way, doesn't it?
Good point. It seems that you can't say 'we need to understand and fix the underlying causes' without someone thinking that means you're making excuses for the criminals.

It's possible to want the criminals to be punished while also wanting the society to assess what is creating the criminals in the first place.

The one sure thing about prison is that those who go in usually come out worse than ever. So banging everyone away isn't a solution - it's just a way to make the problem worse and worse as the years go by.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-23332482/
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
im more worried about the possible 2nd financial collapse than any riots..i was looking at going home from chrimbo onwards..now im in wait and see mode..may look at moving east to Ontario instead
you know what......there were riots in Vancouver not too long ago! I think these riots in the UK will calm down and hopfully they will pull through stronger,and boot the scub bags out. We will still be getting on tha plane a week tomorrow..........
My friends moved from Red Deer to Ontario to give that ago,but soon moved back to the UK.They said it was much worse than Alberta.....good luck
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:28 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The one sure thing about prison is that those who go in usually come out worse than ever. So banging everyone away isn't a solution - it's just a way to make the problem worse and worse as the years go by.

I tend to agree - but I am shocked at the short prison sentences than are handed out in the UK.

Recent case in point: A woman who killed her 8 year old son by making him drink bleach got 8 years. I understand that in the UK, generally speaking, a person serves half of their sentence.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately exactly the same here, it seems only America tend to put people away forever or at least give them what they deserve.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris955
Which part of the West Country are you heading to ? We are looking at Somerset or Wiltshire.
My wife will want to be reasonably close (but not too close!) to our daughter, who will be at university. But we don't know where that will be yet!

There are appropriate courses at both the Falmouth and Exeter campuses of Exeter Uni and at Bristol Uni, but of course my daughter first needs to get an offer from one or more of them and then meet the required exam results.

Personally somewhere within an hour or so of Exeter would be nice, like Dawlish or similar (we would like to be close to the sea). I will most likely be working abroad so will be lucky to get a month or so at home each year.

I have a look at houses every now and then, and unless something dramatic happens to Australian property prices or the exchange rate in the next few months it seems that we will be able to afford a nice place, something I feel we deserve after some hard work in a few different locations.

Fingers crossed it all works out. Not many rioters in Dawlish, I presume!

Last edited by killerhales; Aug 11th 2011 at 11:23 am. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:42 pm
Finally Home!

Not many rioters in Dawlish, I presume!
I think you'll be safe there ;-)
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:50 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed it all works out. Not many rioters in Dawlish, I presume!
Only if the National Trust raise the price of membership inordinately, and BBC Radio 4 terminate the Archers.. Even then it would be more of a peaceful march, or a shuffle, than a riot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.