Riots in the cities

Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riots in the cities

Originally Posted by Guinness
It was great to see all the young people show up in both Manchester and London with their brooms.
Lol my MIL flew in on hers (broom) along with the her two daughters.....reminds me of a "fairytale" I read when I was younger
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
These disturbances won't make a difference to our plans to return in early 2012.

We hope to be somewhere in the West Country which seems a long way away from London & Manchester geographically and culturally.

The perpetrators are scum that need to be caught and punished.

However, it's been clear to me for a long time that there is an "under-class" in the UK, which, to use an old Etonian's words, is "sick". If something is sick it needs to be treated or healed in some way, doesn't it?
The underclasses for the main part have just been given a too easy ride..ie..."dole" money is too easy handed out, young girls having children and expecting their own accommodation and then exact not to work their are to many young people also older people and have been on social payments that they have become conditioned to not working for their livelihoods, I was told by a volunteer that a local mother was feared because (and all the services given were not paid for by the mother) if the certain help groups put a foot wrong she use to sue them for the most ridiculous reasons, one of the groups had to "fold" because after fighting the case against the mother and won they were left without any money.....I was in a supermarket a while ago and a young mum was there with her young daughter (who was running around like a .......whirlwind...being polite there) and the young daughter bumped into a shelf and a tin opener fell off (missed everyone) but the mother frog marched the daughter to customer service and started to put in a complaint form and was going mad....she honestly went off saying compensation to her friend.....mad...just mad....I then stepped forward and told the staff exactly what happened, I just felt it was so wrong what she was trying to do and gain.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:37 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brits1
The underclasses for the main part have just been given a too easy ride..ie..."dole" money is too easy handed out, young girls having children and expecting their own accommodation and then exact not to work their are to many young people also older people and have been on social payments that they have become conditioned to not working for their livelihoods, .
First, good for you for stepping forward to the store staff.

I have seen this social rot take place in a branch of my Dh family.
Dh's grandfather's brother & wife were decent hard working folks.
Their daughter, my MIL's cousin (V) was a decent person, hardworking but somehow lost control of her daughter (S).
This daughter (S) has grown up without personal responsibility, not working, on benefits with multi-partners (to be kind) with multi kids. One of those kids (J) has now adopted the same sponging lifestyle, multi-partners for multi-kids.
Efforts were made by MIL and the errant cousin to get things back on track, even reporting the daughter (S) to the police for various misdemeanors but to no change in behavior.

So one derailment 2 generations back has switched a previous good responsible family to a life of sponging. Yet all the other branches of family have turned out as regular working folk maintaining a decent lifestyle.

Once these spongers found the easy life they see it as the only way to live. They don't care that they are relatively poor, they don't care they are spongers, they simply don't care at all. While they continue to get benefits and housing, have enough money for beer and tobacco and a trip to the seaside then the extent of their ambition is to make more children to get more benefit.

June

Last edited by J.J; Aug 12th 2011 at 5:43 am.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Good point. It seems that you can't say 'we need to understand and fix the underlying causes' without someone thinking that means you're making excuses for the criminals.

It's possible to want the criminals to be punished while also wanting the society to assess what is creating the criminals in the first place.

The one sure thing about prison is that those who go in usually come out worse than ever. So banging everyone away isn't a solution - it's just a way to make the problem worse and worse as the years go by.
Yes. These are my thoughts. Though I also am happy to see these people rounded up and punished, when you step back, you see that there is a bigger problem here. As the ex-chav street workers interviewed on tv this morning said, there are probably a couple of hundred reasons that this happened.

What I would add is that there is no "us" and "them". We have all participated in creating this society where the focus is definitely on consumerism and having the latest gadgets but then again, that's only one of the 200+ reasons.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I tend to agree - but I am shocked at the short prison sentences than are handed out in the UK.

Recent case in point: A woman who killed her 8 year old son by making him drink bleach got 8 years. I understand that in the UK, generally speaking, a person serves half of their sentence.
Long term prison sentences are not a solution for many reasons. They go in, play the tough guy to survive, come out having learnt a lot more "skills", jump on the recidivism merry-go-round and it's all on the tax payers tab. Of course, they have to be punished. I would really like to see them revive some heavy duty community service. Unpaid work might just be a deterrent for these folks!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess one of those 200 reasons is the class system that still thrives in the UK and that makes it perfectly OK to use the word 'chav' to describe a human being. As though once categorized, he or she is no longer worth any further thought or discussion.

The word 'chav' didn't exist in my day - but back then my mother called people 'common' in an equally superior and dismissive way. I always thought people did it to elevate themselves in the class system.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:05 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess one of those 200 reasons is the class system that still thrives in the UK and that makes it perfectly OK to use the word 'chav' to describe a human being. As though once categorized, he or she is no longer worth any further thought or discussion.

The word 'chav' didn't exist in my day - but back then my mother called people 'common' in an equally superior and dismissive way. I always thought people did it to elevate themselves in the class system.
I definitely agree with this, but as a side note would add that chav is a word with a respectable and interesting pedigree going back a hundred or more years.

Unfortunately in England there is a persistent history of violent rioting and looting that crops up at regular intervals, going back many hundreds of years. Look at the Gordon riots for instance. And during the Blitz damaged buildings were regularly looted..

To blame the Welfare State is an unconvincing ploy of the usual suspects to denigrate social advances in the UK over the last sixty or more years.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The word 'chav' didn't exist in my day - but back then my mother called people 'common' in an equally superior and dismissive way.
I'd say you were my long lost sister. But I never had one.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 6:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see this class system nowadays, no doubt it exists as it does anywhere in one form or another. It doesn't seem any different to calling someone here a bogan, it isn't a class thing.

Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
The underclasses for the main part have just been given a too easy ride..ie..."dole" money is too easy handed out, young girls having children and expecting their own accommodation and then exact not to work their are to many young people also older people and have been on social payments that they have become conditioned to not working for their livelihoods, I was told by a volunteer that a local mother was feared because (and all the services given were not paid for by the mother) if the certain help groups put a foot wrong she use to sue them for the most ridiculous reasons, one of the groups had to "fold" because after fighting the case against the mother and won they were left without any money.....I was in a supermarket a while ago and a young mum was there with her young daughter (who was running around like a .......whirlwind...being polite there) and the young daughter bumped into a shelf and a tin opener fell off (missed everyone) but the mother frog marched the daughter to customer service and started to put in a complaint form and was going mad....she honestly went off saying compensation to her friend.....mad...just mad....I then stepped forward and told the staff exactly what happened, I just felt it was so wrong what she was trying to do and gain.
Question being surely is why would anyone expect the underclasses to behave in any other way when the elite has so systematically compromised itself over recent years?
From expense account scandals to financial insitution tax funded bankruptcy.
Meanwhile the rest are being mugged by both quarters.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I really don't see this class system nowadays, no doubt it exists as it does anywhere in one form or another. It doesn't seem any different to calling someone here a bogan, it isn't a class thing.
Difference being the growth of a further class the under class has expanded greatly and gives every indication of continuing to do so.

There are few jobs for these folk with a lot of what they would have done likely gone to East Europeans.

In Hackney i recall the stats as being one job for every 50+ seekers.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's much stronger in the UK. In Yorkshire where I'm from, for example, there are degrees of accent that instantly identify you as lower, lower middle, middle, upper middle or 'posh.'

I used to work with a guy who spoke with a royal family like accent. One day a co-worker told us we both sounded very posh because of our accents. He said 'oh but we sound very different.' Co-worker shrugged and said 'you sound the same to me.'

As we left the meeting, the posh guy turned to me and said 'I can't believe it. My parents paid a fortune for this accent." It made me laugh, but when we both return to Blighty, he will instantly take his place back on the ladder - significantly higher up than me. It doesn't bother me, but it's a fact of life all the same.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:58 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Difference being the growth of a further class the under class has expanded greatly and gives every indication of continuing to do so.

There are few jobs for these folk with a lot of what they would have done likely gone to East Europeans.

In Hackney i recall the stats as being one job for every 50+ seekers.
This is a misleading statistic used by the media to sensationalise the data.

In fact, the statistic is 50 applicants for each job, not 1 job for every 50 jobseekers.

However, this doesn't mean that for every job, there are 50 unemployed people. A lot of those applicants are also applying for other jobs. If they are all applying for 50 jobs, in fact the job:unemployed person ratio is 1:1.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

... in the UK....there are degrees of accent that instantly identify you as lower, lower middle, middle, upper middle or 'posh.'......I used to work with a guy who spoke with a royal family like accent....a co-worker told us we both sounded very posh because of our accents........the posh guy turned to me and said 'I can't believe it. My parents paid a fortune for this accent."
English art historian Brian Sewell......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBt0E...15F2789687007F
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Or, in North America, referring to someone as being born the wrong side of the tracks. Or Preppy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.