Returning home

Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning home

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Flippin' 'eck...,am I seeing things? nb's being nice? This makes for a pleasant change....more, more!!
I am sure if you met me Tracey you would realise I am very nice.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
Really happy for you. I lived just north of Cambridge before I came here, some lovely villages and towns. St Ives is lovely and the villages around it are very nice only about 15 miles into Cambridge.

Really pleased its coming together for you now.

NB x
Thanks so much, I am sure it is the right decision my only regret will be the Cit-ship for the Kids just to give them another avenue in life.

Not sure if he take the Cambridge, one where to live really don't really know any areas around there, I know, Newmarket etc and Ely so any areas you think would help would be great.. Thanksx
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Thanks so much, I am sure it is the right decision my only regret will be the Cit-ship for the Kids just to give them another avenue in life.

Not sure if he take the Cambridge, one where to live really don't really know any areas around there, I know, Newmarket etc and Ely so any areas you think would help would be great.. Thanksx
We lived in Sawtry which is about 20 odd miles north of Cambridge and my husband worked in Cambridge and so did I for a time. I don't know what your price range is but I would live in the following places in addition to Sawtry, all are very nice.

Parts of Huntingdon are nice, Houghton, St Ives, Hemingford Grey, Hemingford Abbot, Alconbury, Needingworth, Fenstanton, Longstanton, Fen Drayton, Dry Drayton. Good villages with nice pubs and not far into Cambridge for shopping. Bar Hill has a huge Tesco. The only down side to living this side of Cambridge is the A14 which can be a hell of a road in rush hour. Some nice villages on the south side of Cambridge too but I am not so familiar with those. I have a friend who lives in Gib with her US Navy husband. She is taking spanish lessons because she says that although a lot of people speak English there she has found it has been a slight barrier and has made certain things difficult.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Why is it that so many of us find Perth mind numbing, yet people flood into the place like it's Utopia
Sandra good on you for going back, back to normality and reality

Now make space in that suitcase for me

Thanks, I never settled here from the moment I got of the plane, for me I think it is a really nice place, but thats it just nice, nice weather, nice Beaches, just Nice

I need more than that I need my family, friends,Culture, But mostly just be happy.

If I go back and think I have made a mistake he will kill me,
Although we have until 2010 to decide, if we really want to come back, We would probably go east.

Not that I am planning on coming back.

Sandrax
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

We lived in Sawtry which is about 20 odd miles north of Cambridge and my husband worked in Cambridge and so did I for a time. I don't know what your price range is but I would live in the following places in addition to Sawtry, all are very nice.

Parts of Huntingdon are nice, Houghton, St Ives, Hemingford Grey, Hemingford Abbot, Alconbury, Needingworth, Fenstanton, Longstanton, Fen Drayton, Dry Drayton. Good villages with nice pubs and not far into Cambridge for shopping. Bar Hill has a huge Tesco. The only down side to living this side of Cambridge is the A14 which can be a hell of a road in rush hour. Some nice villages on the south side of Cambridge too but I am not so familiar with those. I have a friend who lives in Gib with her US Navy husband. She is taking spanish lessons because she says that although a lot of people speak English there she has found it has been a slight barrier and has made certain things difficult.

If he took the position in Gib, we would live in Spain, Costa Del La Luz as that is not so British or expensive, I think, just trying to do research on best places to live also schools etc bloody hard..

our budget if we sell our house and buy there would be 4ish I was looking at Suffolk way, but need to really look at areas that would be easy for him to travel..also I would like to live in a village, good schools etc.

Nightmare or what..

I am just waiting for him to come through the door and say he has changed his mind.. for his sake I hope he don't. He He

Sandra

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jan 11th 2007 at 7:10 am.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

If he took the position in Gib, we would live in Spain, Costa Del La Luz as that is not so British or expensive, I think, just trying to do research on best places to live also schools etc bloody hard..

our budget if we sell our house and buy down there would be 4ish I was looking at Suffolk way, but need to really look at areas that would be easy for him to travel..also I would like to live in a village, good schools etc.

Nightmare or what..

I am just waiting for him to come through the door and say he has changed his mind.. for his sake I hope he don't. He He

Sandra
there are some lovely places around, my favourites of all the villages I mentioned are Houghton and the Hemingfords. Beautiful villages, good schools and super village pubs yet at none rush hour about half an hour to Cambridge. The traffic into Cambridge from all angles is notoriously bad.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

there are some lovely places around, my favourites of all the villages I mentioned are Houghton and the Hemingfords. Beautiful villages, good schools and super village pubs yet at none rush hour about half an hour to Cambridge. The traffic into Cambridge from all angles is notoriously bad.

Thanks so much

Will most certainly look at those.

Sandra
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:39 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Not 100% agreed yet but O/H has now decided he has had enough of Perth and is bored, and turned around last night and said shall we go,

Must of hit his head or something. I thought he would never change his mind.

He has been offered promotion at work but does not want to accept as he couldn't see us staying here as long term

Although he initially said he wanted to stay and get the Cit-ship for the kids, after all the crap and heartace to get here, he now feels like he is wasting his time here.

He has been offered 2 positions one in Gibraltar with us living in Spain and the other in Cambridge, so fingers crossed we will be going home or closer..

My question is we have PR here and that expires in 2010 if we came back in 2010 say for a 6 week holiday can we just apply for a resident return Visa then leave again?

Don't want to post this on Aus forum, Just in case.

Cheers Sandra X

PS I am soo excited I just hope he does not change his mind :scared:
Oooh, I really hope you get home honey, will try to send lucky K.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra, am going to be biting my nails all night for ya love.
Over the years here I have heard folk say. "Once the decision has been made, its a HUGE relief"..
I know what they mean now, but at the time I couldn't really grasp just what they meant.
But its true, once your mind is made up, and you KNOW you are going 'home' (or near home) it feels better than any lotto win.
I will try to sleep tonight.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:32 am
Just Joined

davo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nice

Looking from a fella’s perspective and until he changed his mind your O/H might have thought the same as this.

To go through the pain, suffering and putting your life on hold that applying to emigrate puts you through and then not giveing it 2 years to get your citizenship does seem a shame.

Imagine a person in your position now talking to you when you were applying to emigrate it would be an interesting conversation I think.

But if it’s wrong it’s wrong, I can’t see you finding it very much easier in any other country though and the language barrier is a tough one to deal with, maybe just going back to the UK would be the best thing to do.

We are in a somewhat different situation, we are going back to the UK, but it’s after 20 years in Western Australia and we can always return. If you think Perth is sleepy now then in the 1980’s it was comatose.

Actualy if you had said to me 2 years ago that we would be returning to the UK now, i'd have laughed in your face.

Best wishes to you and yours in what ever you do.

Dave
Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davo453
Looking from a fella’s perspective and until he changed his mind your O/H might have thought the same as this.

To go through the pain, suffering and putting your life on hold that applying to emigrate puts you through and then not giveing it 2 years to get your citizenship does seem a shame.

Imagine a person in your position now talking to you when you were applying to emigrate it would be an interesting conversation I think.

But if it’s wrong it’s wrong, I can’t see you finding it very much easier in any other country though and the language barrier is a tough one to deal with, maybe just going back to the UK would be the best thing to do.

We are in a somewhat different situation, we are going back to the UK, but it’s after 20 years in Western Australia and we can always return. If you think Perth is sleepy now then in the 1980’s it was comatose.

Actualy if you had said to me 2 years ago that we would be returning to the UK now, i'd have laughed in your face.

Best wishes to you and yours in what ever you do.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding, I totally agree with what you have said and I really understand, I don't feel no different and wish I could stick it for the other year but it is not just a year it is 15/ 16 months for us to get the Cit-ship only just a year here in Feb.

He has said that here is not for us long term, and now feels like he is wasting his time working his arse off for the next year building up a client base etc to leave and start over again.

I also think if we went home and in a couple of years we really think that the UK is not for us then maybe we will try again, somewhere else.

His dad had a kidney transplant 10 yrs ago and recently had a few problems and the has just been diganosed with prostrate cancer which has spread to the lymph glands, and his grandparents are still alive, so I do think that they are some of the factors that have changed his mind..

We have 2 small children, I feel guilty that no one other that us is seeing them grow up, getting their own characters, personalities and at the moment nothing has changed, he has said lets go, but he is waiting to see what the offers are first, so nothing has been set in stone so untill then I will wait in anticipation.

Can I ask why you are going back?

Sandra

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jan 13th 2007 at 3:10 am.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:21 am
Just Joined

davo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nice

You do have some very good reasons Sandra

I have posted my reasons on another link I was the 2nd post there http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...26#post4256826

Basicaly I gave 5 reasons

1) Ageing family

2) locality to Europe for traveling

3) locality to the Americas for traveling

4) New found appreciation of History

5) We can and will come back to Australia

We are ready for another adventure, we have no family ties here just a farm (now sold) and a lot of friends.

We'll see how things go in the old country.

All the best

Dave
Old Jan 13th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

We could have applied for NZ citizenship in July 2005 if we wanted to, but then we thought about it, and we realised that we dont want to live in NZ, not now, nor anytime in the future.
We have PR/IRRV and if the kids ever want to return or emigrate in later life then they can do it themselves. After all, we did it without our parents. And if the rules don't change, then they can just come back in anyway should they want to.
Who's to say, they want to emigrate to NZ/Aus anyway, it could just as easily be Canada or USA for instance? Who knows?
My motto now is 'why waste any more time here when you aint happy'
Let the kids decide where to go in life when they are older.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rascal
We could have applied for NZ citizenship in July 2005 if we wanted to, but then we thought about it, and we realised that we dont want to live in NZ, not now, nor anytime in the future.
We have PR/IRRV and if the kids ever want to return or emigrate in later life then they can do it themselves. After all, we did it without our parents. And if the rules don't change, then they can just come back in anyway should they want to.
Who's to say, they want to emigrate to NZ/Aus anyway, it could just as easily be Canada or USA for instance? Who knows?
My motto now is 'why waste any more time here when you aint happy'
Let the kids decide where to go in life when they are older.
I wish the folks would undergo such a mammoth change of heart!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davo453
5) We can and will come back to Australia
That only applies to those with citizenship. Unless you mean just visiting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.