Returning home

Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Returning home

Originally Posted by FPM
Just the smart ones.

Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Hello Beryl/Peril..i didn't realise you were going back to the UK for a hol!!
Sounds like you had a great time
My good friends who emigrated here in OCT have just gone back to the UK for good. They realised they had made a big mistake. It has unsettled me even more now. We all got very close and now it's gone.
But we are going back to UK for Xmas anyway: then will be coming back to see where we really want to be.
Wow! That's almost as short a time as friends of mine took to make their decision. I think they lasted about 6 weeks, and when their shipment arrived, they sent it all home again - didn't even unpack! They were in QLD. She didn't like the sun or spiders - so not a good choice for them really, was it?!
Yes, had an amazing - really amazing time in UK. I loved every minute of it and realised just what we stupidly walked away from. I know it's not 'always' like that and everyone was riding high because it was Christmas and because they were so excited to see us. But being back reminded me how very different (and better) our life was there. (Full of fun, laughter, girlie chats, community living, looking out for each other's kids, spontaneous happenings, dogs, country walks, fantastic pubs!) One of my best friends had an on-going 'open house' for us and masses of people people came round. My son was almost 'mobbed' by his friends and body-surfed around his old classmates, cheering as they went! We had an incredible welcome home.

Meanwhile, back in Perth (groan) - now more determined than ever to get the heck out of here and back to where we belong! Just got to work on OH a bit more. He's not talking about it at the moment!

Is it next Xmas you're going back? It's a long wait, but something to look forward to!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
Wow! That's almost as short a time as friends of mine took to make their decision. I think they lasted about 6 weeks, and when their shipment arrived, they sent it all home again - didn't even unpack! They were in QLD. She didn't like the sun or spiders - so not a good choice for them really, was it?!
Yes, had an amazing - really amazing time in UK. I loved every minute of it and realised just what we stupidly walked away from. I know it's not 'always' like that and everyone was riding high because it was Christmas and because they were so excited to see us. But being back reminded me how very different (and better) our life was there. (Full of fun, laughter, girlie chats, community living, looking out for each other's kids, spontaneous happenings, dogs, country walks, fantastic pubs!) One of my best friends had an on-going 'open house' for us and masses of people people came round. My son was almost 'mobbed' by his friends and body-surfed around his old classmates, cheering as they went! We had an incredible welcome home.

Meanwhile, back in Perth (groan) - now more determined than ever to get the heck out of here and back to where we belong! Just got to work on OH a bit more. He's not talking about it at the moment!

Is it next Xmas you're going back? It's a long wait, but something to look forward to!
Everytime I return to the UK for a visit I feel like that too. It's almost like living again! Trouble is, when I return to Canada it feels like I'm going back into prison so I've decided enough is enough and we are getting things rolling to go back to the UK.

I'm very close to my family and I miss the mum and daughter outings we had. My 8 year old cried the other night about how much he missed his family back in England and I was so shocked, he was the one whom I thought had settled so well in Canada, lots of friends etc, seemed happy with his life. I thought what am I doing to him, dragging him away from his family just to live out a dream for myself, not him.

I feel lucky to have a great family that wants to be involved in my life, lots of other people don't have that support and I will go and make the most of it.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=fishfinger;4299057]Everytime I return to the UK for a visit I feel like that too. It's almost like living again! Trouble is, when I return to Canada it feels like I'm going back into prison QUOTE]

i know exactly how you feel

hope all goes well with your return plans
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Everytime I return to the UK for a visit I feel like that too. It's almost like living again! Trouble is, when I return to Canada it feels like I'm going back into prison so I've decided enough is enough and we are getting things rolling to go back to the UK.

I'm very close to my family and I miss the mum and daughter outings we had. My 8 year old cried the other night about how much he missed his family back in England and I was so shocked, he was the one whom I thought had settled so well in Canada, lots of friends etc, seemed happy with his life. I thought what am I doing to him, dragging him away from his family just to live out a dream for myself, not him.

I feel lucky to have a great family that wants to be involved in my life, lots of other people don't have that support and I will go and make the most of it.
Sounds like you have 'out' lived the dream FF, and the dream has become a bit of a nightmare for you! My dream only lasted a couple of months (that's all you need in Perth to get the best out of it!) and I too, have felt like I'm a prisoner a lot of the time. It's a feeling of being 'trapped' because of not being a free agent, but part of a unit (in my case, husband and son). I would've been long gone if it was just me! I think my son would happily go back to UK now, having had a taste of being back amongst his extended family and lovely friends (he's 15 by the way) - the biggest problem is my husband, who although I think he'd return, would find it very difficult to find another job in the UK. Anyway, good luck with everything!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you have 'out' lived the dream FF, and the dream has become a bit of a nightmare for you! My dream only lasted a couple of months (that's all you need in Perth to get the best out of it!) and I too, have felt like I'm a prisoner a lot of the time. It's a feeling of being 'trapped' because of not being a free agent, but part of a unit (in my case, husband and son). I would've been long gone if it was just me! I think my son would happily go back to UK now, having had a taste of being back amongst his extended family and lovely friends (he's 15 by the way) - the biggest problem is my husband, who although I think he'd return, would find it very difficult to find another job in the UK. Anyway, good luck with everything!
Hi ..well i had a night out last night with the girls. Went to one pub and stayed there all night. Karaoke was on ( i never go on it) and ended up leaving at 10pm. Couldn't bear listening to everyone trying to be sing, gave me headache.
I felt about 50 years old sat there clapping along to songs i have never heard of
Saying that there were loads of fit lads in there, poor sods, nowhere nice for them to go.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:26 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Why is it that so many of us find Perth mind numbing, yet people flood into the place like it's Utopia
1.Mind numbing: Because there is little or nothing to stimulate the senses. It's a bland non-descript place without vision, sense of community (not the volunteer type stuff), socially dislocated, superficial, pretentious, and lacks any feel of a soul or pulse.

2. People flood in: The picture in their minds of coastline beaches, houses with pools, the 'easy' life, see it as less hectic than say sydney or melbourne and possibly cheaper airfares to UK from WA for hols.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:43 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
[Maybe because there is heaps to do there, great shopping, fantastic food, awesome beaches, lots of parks and open space, wildlife, and heaps of pubs and clubs???????? God I miss Perth!!!]by Denver
Things to do in Perth/WA:

Go shopping - in Subi/Freo ...Almost anywhere you shop in UK has more choice and better quality

Freo markets...Thousands of markets in UK

eat/shop/drink Hillarys Marina...eat/shop/drink almost anywhere in UK

Rottnest island...Expensive to get there and for what? Nothing!

Swim, surf or read a book at some awesome Beaches...You can read on any beach/surf down in Newquay and swim too

See an Aussie Rules game at Subi...Not quite got the atmosphere a football match has IMO

See a movie under the stars at various locations...Only in summer

Go to a Sunday Session...Ever been to Camden?

Go on a winery tour Swan Valley...Expensive and most don't open during the week and kids aren't allowed in

Have a kick of the footy in your local park...Do that anywhere in the world

Have a picnic at Kings Park...As does everyman and his dog on summer w/e's.)Parks everywhere with picnic and bbq areas in UK if you look

Go down south and visit Margaret River/Busselton...Drive less distance to Devon/Cornwall/New Forest/Northumberland/Lake District etc. with more to do and see

Have a meal or go clubbing in Northbridge...Take the risk of getting your drink spiked/mugged.Seedy area.Yuk!

Visit Freo prison at night...Once done why would you want to go again?

Play tennis in beautiful weather...Can do that without sweat pooring off you in heaps of places in UK

Ten pin bowling/ice skating/lawn bowls...Much more choice of where you play/skate/bowl in UK

Do a TAFE course...Go to college for free in UK if just left school/Alot more choice of colleges for further education too

fish and chips on Cott beach in summer...Yeh,nice,but can do that in UK too

Camping at Nanga bush camp...Go camping in UK too.+ closer proximity to go camping in Europe

Go up to Kalbarri (quaint fishing village) and see the dolphins at Monkey Mia...A very long way to go for nothing

Go to the Perth Royal Show...The most antiquated,expensive rides and the biggest rip-off in Perth

Skyworks on Australia Day...Fireworks in and around London on NYE without the fights and muggings

Lancelin Ocean Classic in January...Again,every man and his dog up there 'cos there's little else to do except sun/sea & beaches

Have a pint at Little Creatures in Freo...and dinner too,but you can do that in UK as well

See penguins and Sea Lions on Pengiun Island...Again,once seen,why go again?

Hopman Cup in Jan...Wimbledon in June

Lavender Hill Cricket match...Cricket matches everywhere

Yes you have to leave your house and your suburb to do most of these things, but parking is free in most places!...Parking is free in most parks/ theme parks/picnic areas/movies/pubs/clubs etc etc in UK too
Top post! Well said. Karma sent
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
1.Mind numbing: Because there is little or nothing to stimulate the senses. It's a bland non-descript place without vision, sense of community (not the volunteer type stuff), socially dislocated, superficial, pretentious, and lacks any feel of a soul or pulse.

2. People flood in: The picture in their minds of coastline beaches, houses with pools, the 'easy' life, see it as less hectic than say sydney or melbourne and possibly cheaper airfares to UK from WA for hols.
For 3 of us to fly to UK recently (21st Dec to be precise!) cost a mere $7,000 - gulp! Hardly cheap. On top of that, the cost of being there, petrol, presents, meals out, copious amounts spent in Tesco, Sainsburys, and Fat Face (just because you can't resist the temptation after the shops out here!), and of course the pub! However, worth every penny in my opinion - just to escape this cripplingly dull place for just a few weeks!

When are you outta here Kiwi-Child?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

davo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nice

Have to say my biggest disappointment on arrival in WA was the pubs.

And that remains till today 20 years after arriving.

It's not the atmosphere so much although that is lacking, but it's the music. For some reason they can't get over playing it so loud that you can't hear the person next to you talking no matter were you sit/stand in the place.

UK pubs are (or were) generally smaller in size and largely social places, they just don't get that here.

Dave
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:56 pm
Jedi Princess

When are you outta here Kiwi-Child?
I'm off to NZ in March for a couple of months hols, then I come back to finish my last few units of my degree. Will either head back to NZ then for a year or so to see how it goes, or exit Perth for UK. My trip to NZ will hopefully help to give me an update on what the work and cost of living etc is currently like there.

Sounds like expensive tickets airtickets Beryl, but I guess it's to do with what airline you use and time of year you go.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I'm off to NZ in March for a couple of months hols, then I come back to finish my last few units of my degree. Will either head back to NZ then for a year or so to see how it goes, or exit Perth for UK. My trip to NZ will hopefully help to give me an update on what the work and cost of living etc is currently like there.

Sounds like expensive tickets airtickets Beryl, but I guess it's to do with what airline you use and time of year you go.
Yes, it was a lot of money - Christmas is always the most expensive time to go - we went Singapore Airlines. If you know of a cheaper source, I'd be pleased to know. Next time (hopefully the last time!) we do that long haul flight, I'll definitely break it up a lot more! My jet lag has lasted all week and it's getting very boring! Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Glad to know the end is in sight for you anyway - we were in NZ this time last year - awesome country, but not sure about living there. Our friends returned to Nelson for the 2nd time (from the UK) and left within 6 months having not been able to find work and the isolation aspect. We were very tempted to relocate to NZ, but quite glad we didn't now. The biggest thing that has got me down about Perth is the dullness and lack of 'buzz'. Despite the disgusting weather in the UK (winter) the place was full of 'buzz'. It really felt that life was going on, unlike this retirement village we all find ourselves living in over here!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, it was a lot of money - Christmas is always the most expensive time to go - we went Singapore Airlines. If you know of a cheaper source, I'd be pleased to know. Next time (hopefully the last time!) we do that long haul flight, I'll definitely break it up a lot more! My jet lag has lasted all week and it's getting very boring! Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Glad to know the end is in sight for you anyway - we were in NZ this time last year - awesome country, but not sure about living there. Our friends returned to Nelson for the 2nd time (from the UK) and left within 6 months having not been able to find work and the isolation aspect. We were very tempted to relocate to NZ, but quite glad we didn't now. The biggest thing that has got me down about Perth is the dullness and lack of 'buzz'. Despite the disgusting weather in the UK (winter) the place was full of 'buzz'. It really felt that life was going on, unlike this retirement village we all find ourselves living in over here!
It is interesting that I also use the trem "buzz" it sums it up really.I am begining to feel that I am on medication! I felt alive in the UK but not here. I do think that it may have something to do with where I live but I am in Qld and your in Perth so perhaps not.

Royal Brunei are reasonable on their flight prices and the service was good.Jetlag seems to get you more has you get older .
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blowfly
It is interesting that I also use the trem "buzz" it sums it up really.I am begining to feel that I am on medication! I felt alive in the UK but not here. I do think that it may have something to do with where I live but I am in Qld and your in Perth so perhaps not.

Royal Brunei are reasonable on their flight prices and the service was good.Jetlag seems to get you more has you get older .
Yeah, that's interesting. I found Sydney had much more of 'buzz' to it, and I had a good social life there. But that was 20 + years ago and I was of course younger then! I would never recommend Perth to anyone now, unless they are really happy to lead a reclusive and retirement like existance. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has moved from Perth across to Brisbane, or other parts of Oz for that matter and found a real improvement. We have considered Brisbane as a possibility (OH could find work there) but it still doesn't address the issue of feeling homesick all the time! Any comments/experiences about that anyone? (in case we go and make another mistake!!)
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:25 pm
Normal Service Resumed

Skyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fishfinger

Couldn't agree more. When I have visited UK for holidays its like waking up from a coma. Can't help but think of the life you COULD have been leading. Makes you go all "Sliding Doors". Having to come back to bloody Perth is one of the most depressing feelings.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.