Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Old May 22nd 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Yes, totally concur with you workman. My whole point being that being a citizen should confer some rights, but this is only the case if you move to certain countries....moving to countries such as Australia means you lose your rights. Very unfair. Where have you been volunteering and doing what....sorry to be nosey, but it does sound very interesting!

Originally Posted by workman
I think it goes back to the traditional sense that being a citizen of a certain country should confer certain privileges whether or not you live in that country; the sense of belonging somewhere and having a "home."

In my case we left England 7 years ago to work as volunteers with a charity in the 3rd world. We don't have a wage - we live on donations. Yes, it was our choice to do that.

Prior to leaving we worked and paid our dues in taxes. We would like to think that when we return, our teenage children will be able to have a UK uni education; however, it seems unless the law changes, then that will depend on whether the links we've maintained with the UK, and the annual renewable nature of our contract abroad will allow us to be treated as temporarily employed abroad.

If not, probably a UK uni education would be closed to our children, which is a pity since where we live there is no adequate University education for foreigners.

It does seem a shame that citizenship doesn't mean what it used to, especially when privileges are granted to other EU citizens who have NEVER paid tax in the UK and not to British citizens who have and who resume paying when they return home.

If anyone can advise on how to approach proving the "temporary"nature of employment abroad I would be grateful, I've not found much specific to that on the web.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

workman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Originally Posted by ezzie
Yes, totally concur with you workman. My whole point being that being a citizen should confer some rights, but this is only the case if you move to certain countries....moving to countries such as Australia means you lose your rights. Very unfair. Where have you been volunteering and doing what....sorry to be nosey, but it does sound very interesting!
In Latin America, working in health and development amongst the poor.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I think it's absurd that people who have never lived in a country and who's parents have paid little or no tax should be entitled to a reduced rate university education in that country simply because they have citizenship.
I can't imagine the rule ever being changed in the way you want for the simple fact that there would be way too many British citizens sending their previously non-resident kids over for a (nearly) free education then shipping them back out again.
I agree.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

If not, probably a UK uni education would be closed to our children,
No. Not exactly true

To be eligible for home fees, they would have to live in the UK for the three years prior to their course's start date.

Attending university straight after high school appears to be a closed option for them. However, many, many people attend uni in their 20s, 30s 40s etc.

Buena suerte.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; May 22nd 2008 at 9:36 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem a shame that citizenship doesn't mean what it used to, especially when privileges are granted to other EU citizens who have NEVER paid tax in the UK and not to British citizens who have and who resume paying when they return home.
Through EU membership, the UK has chosen to pool certain residence rights.

As to paid tax, who are you talking about here? Most students are adults who legally are responsible for paying their own fees. Why is it unfair to expect somke kind of nexus between a student and the UK in order for that student to be able to get residential tuition rates?

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 22nd 2008 at 9:23 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

In recent conversations with a local Uni (Lancaster) they said they use the info on www.direct.gov.uk there is a link in there to education then to University and finance then international students and residency rules (sorry dont know how to post proper link). However, the chap I spoke to said that the term 'Temporary' is open to interpretation by each Uni. So really you are down to the mercy of each institution as to whether you would be charged domestic or international rates.

Yes pooling residence rights is great if it works both ways, but how many UK residents realistically will go to other European countries to study at University, not many in comparison to those who go to the UK. As for students being adults yes thats quite true but why should children (of British Citizens) suffer because their parents myself included have dragged them half way round the world. I think also that in the eyes of Higher Education a student is still see as dependent on parents whilst under 25 unless they are married or have lived away from home for 3 years?

Last edited by tillysmum; May 22nd 2008 at 9:38 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Yes pooling residence rights is great if it works both ways, but how many UK residents realistically will go to other European countries to study at University, not many in comparison to those who go to the UK.
I am not sure this is really the point. Tuition fees are just one small aspect of pooled residence rights. In other respects, I suspect more Britains end up living in other EU countries than the reverse.

As for students being adults yes thats quite true but why should children (of British Citizens) suffer because their parents myself included have dragged them half way round the world.
Why are they necessarily suffering? Maybe they get resident tuition rates where they live?

I think also that in the eyes of Higher Education a student is still see as dependent on parents whilst under 25 unless they are married or have lived away from home for 3 years?
Dependency is not equal to a legal responsibility for paying fees - that resides with the child. More importantly, a major reason tertiary education is subsidized by the state (as is the case in the UK) is that such education helps one become a more productive member of society. Conversely, subsequent taxation of this productive individual helps pay for the college education they previously received. If there is no nexus between the student and the UK, the possibilities of that student remaining in the UK post-graduation are almost certainly considerably diminished.

I agree that the system is by no means perfect and that there are circumstances that seem unfair. But I think the general principle is a sound one, and merely extending the benefit to all citizens is a lot less so.
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Through EU membership, the UK has chosen to pool certain residence rights.

As to paid tax, who are you talking about here? Most students are adults who legally are responsible for paying their own fees. Why is it unfair to expect somke kind of nexus between a student and the UK in order for that student to be able to get residential tuition rates?
Technically and legally, yes, the students are adults responsible for their own fees. But unless I'm mistaken it is the parents' income that is means-tested in order to establish levels of financial support, demonstrating that practically it is the parents who shoulder that burden. Hence in referring to paid tax I'm talking about people like me who paid and will pay on returning to the UK.

You are right, it is not unfair to expect some kind of nexus between the student and the UK. The nexus is that they are British citizens and the likelihood is that they will return to their home country when they are no longer dependent on me.

Yes, they could return at age 18, work for 3 or 4 years then go to University and they may well choose to do that. However the ideal would be for them to be able to complete their degrees on the same timescale as most resident UK citizens (and all the EU citizens who can, due to the pooling of residence rights, take advantage of a UK state-sponsored education to which they have in no way contributed financially and many of whom will not stay to further develop their nexus.)
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
No. Not exactly true

To be eligible for home fees, they would have to live in the UK for the three years prior to their course's start date.

Attending university straight after high school appears to be a closed option for them. However, many, many people attend uni in their 20s, 30s 40s etc.

Buena suerte.
Good point. I just meant if we don't return to the UK for the 3 years prior, and if we can't afford full foreign-student fees, it would be closed to them.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Technically and legally, yes, the students are adults responsible for their own fees. But unless I'm mistaken it is the parents' income that is means-tested in order to establish levels of financial support, demonstrating that practically it is the parents who shoulder that burden.
No. Parents' income is used to decide the level of financial support, if any, that the state will provide. Parents can choose to shoulder the remaining burden if they so choose. Alternatively, students can take out loans and/or employment in order to pay for their education.

Hence in referring to paid tax I'm talking about people like me who paid and will pay on returning to the UK.
And I don't think this should be the deciding factor. Far more interesting is whether the person legally responsible for paying the fees is likely to contribute themselves through taxes post-graduation.

You are right, it is not unfair to expect some kind of nexus between the student and the UK. The nexus is that they are British citizens and the likelihood is that they will return to their home country when they are no longer dependent on me.
Why is this the likelihood in general? Unless the child has lived outside the UK for only a short period, they may very well choose not to return to the UK as adults. And of course this particularly applies to British citizens who were born after their parents left the UK.

Yes, they could return at age 18, work for 3 or 4 years then go to University and they may well choose to do that.
Or, in general, they could go to a unversity in their country of residence. I realize that this wouldn't work in your case, but for many others in this situation, it does.

However the ideal would be for them to be able to complete their degrees on the same timescale as most resident UK citizens
(and all the EU citizens who can, due to the pooling of residence rights, take advantage of a UK state-sponsored education to which they have in no way contributed financially and many of whom will not stay to further develop their nexus.)
Their nexus is that they are EU residents. That's what polling of residence rights implies.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 22nd 2008 at 11:09 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good point. I just meant if we don't return to the UK for the 3 years prior, and if we can't afford full foreign-student fees, it would be closed to them.
Or they could take out loans and/or work in order to fund the gap between non-resident fees and what you are willing and able to contribute.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

my eldest daughter is 25 and when she was going through Uni we received forms each year which we had to complete and the main purpose of the form was to establish our income.

The gap between domestic and international fees in some Universities is huge 12,000 pounds as opposed to just 3,000 per academic year thats 27,000 Uk pounds over a 3 year course.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

my eldest daughter is 25 and when she was going through Uni we received forms each year which we had to complete and the main purpose of the form was to establish our income.

The gap between domestic and international fees in some Universities is huge 12,000 pounds as opposed to just 3,000 per academic year thats 27,000 Uk pounds over a 3 year course.

Tillymum, it sounds as though your daughter was not independent at 25, or that you guys decided not to formally follow that route. Independence is not based on age, but on the student's situation. If you daughter could demonstrate her by her earned income, outgoing, rent receipts etc that she was independent, then your (her parents') income would not be considered.

I am in my mid 30s, have been legally independent since I was 20. I had to provide evidence that I was not a dependent of my parents. (I have since married so now it's a different scenario).

(All this relates to England.)
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it goes back to the traditional sense that being a citizen of a certain country should confer certain privileges whether or not you live in that country; the sense of belonging somewhere and having a "home."
Yes pooling residence rights is great if it works both ways, but how many UK residents realistically will go to other European countries to study at University, not many in comparison to those who go to the UK. As for students being adults yes thats quite true but why should children (of British Citizens) suffer because their parents myself included have dragged them half way round the world.
Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong but you both seem to be of the opinion that the British Government should pay for the fact that you decided to move to another country for whatever reason. How does that make sense? The number of people on this and other forums who complain endlessly about immigrants moving into the UK and taking stuff for free is unreal, but now we have ex residents of the UK expecting something for nothing. I realise none of you have done the 'anti immigrant' rant but it amounts to the same thing. If you've not been in a country paying taxes to date, I see no reason why your children should get subsidised education.

And as for the statements the likelihood is that they will return to their home country when they are no longer dependent on me and but how many UK residents realistically will go to other European countries to study at University - what on earth has that got to do with the law? It's hardly the Governments fault were either statement true. It's irrelevant how many British students travel abroad for their higher education, just as it's irrelevant to the Goverment where someone's child decides to live when they leave home.
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:04 am
Just Joined

sgaur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezzie
Could everyone please sign this e-petition on the British Gov. site. Who knows, it might just get some attention and could well benefit your own kids in the future: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unfair-Uni-Fees/
We thought we wanted to stay in Oz for good, but are now looking to go home with our teen children and realise how you become a 2nd class citizen practically as soon as you step outside the EU. Please, please sign this, you don't have to live in the UK still to do so. Thanks & please pass it on.

If a British citizen has been living out of the country, they are required to pay 'overseas' fees in order to attend a British university if they have not been resident back in Britain for 3 years. This is regardless of the amount of tax they or their parents have paid over the years. Meanwhile, students from the EU are entitled to and English university education paying only 'home' rates. It is unfair and prevents British citizens returning with their children, whilst encouraging EU students. Surely we should be encouraging British citizens to return home with their British children..who have not had a say in where their parents lived but wish to study and work in Britain.
I feel its a nice issue. I m going to sign it.
cheers
sanj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.