Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Old May 11th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Could everyone please sign this e-petition on the British Gov. site. Who knows, it might just get some attention and could well benefit your own kids in the future: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unfair-Uni-Fees/
We thought we wanted to stay in Oz for good, but are now looking to go home with our teen children and realise how you become a 2nd class citizen practically as soon as you step outside the EU. Please, please sign this, you don't have to live in the UK still to do so. Thanks & please pass it on.

If a British citizen has been living out of the country, they are required to pay 'overseas' fees in order to attend a British university if they have not been resident back in Britain for 3 years. This is regardless of the amount of tax they or their parents have paid over the years. Meanwhile, students from the EU are entitled to and English university education paying only 'home' rates. It is unfair and prevents British citizens returning with their children, whilst encouraging EU students. Surely we should be encouraging British citizens to return home with their British children..who have not had a say in where their parents lived but wish to study and work in Britain.
Old May 11th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

Have just signed, it may be worth risking the wrath and putting it on the main forums of each country there will be a few nice people who will sign it.

Sorry just seen that you have, great minds think alike

Last edited by tillysmum; May 11th 2008 at 9:03 am.
Old May 11th 2008, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please sign this petition...it benefits us all (well, those with kids)!

I knew about the three year rule because I have friends who emigrated to South Africa years ago, and ended up coming back when their boys were old enough for High School, so that they would qualify for 'home' fees.

I didn't know that the rest of the UE were exempt from this rule. Frankly, I'm disgusted!

M P.S. I signed the petition!
Old May 11th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I knew about the three year rule as I had wanted to get my degree in Scotland, but when I found out that I would pay so much more I stayed here to do my degree.

I also just signed the petition
Old May 12th 2008, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
I didn't know that the rest of the UE were exempt from this rule.
Only if resident in an EEA member state. So a German citizen coming from Australia to the U.K. would be treated the same way.

The British government could change this rule, but would have to give other EEA member state citizens the exact same access rights.

The reality is that the EU is not solely a matter of foreign policy, but that its tentacles touch virtually every aspect of domestic policy too.

Of course, there is way to have a genuinely "British citizens first" policy in education and that is for the United Kingdom to withdraw from the European Union.

It might be productive to make sure you are registered as an overseas elector and vote with this in mind.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

All British kids? Regardless of whether they have ever lived in the UK? Or whether their parents ever paid taxes? That opens up way more 'floodgates' than the one you are complaining about.
My daughter is a British citizen. My husband and I paid less than 3 years of income tax in the UK before we left in the 90s. There are plenty more British citizens living overseas who have never paid a penny in UK taxes and who have British kids.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
All British kids? Regardless of whether they have ever lived in the UK? Or whether their parents ever paid taxes? That opens up way more 'floodgates' than the one you are complaining about.
My daughter is a British citizen. My husband and I paid less than 3 years of income tax in the UK before we left in the 90s. There are plenty more British citizens living overseas who have never paid a penny in UK taxes and who have British kids.
What I am suggesting is the exact policy that Australia has.

In any case, there is scope for compromise, such as only charging international fees for the first year (this is what some Canadian provinces do).

It really does boil down to what extent British citizens should receive preference in their own country.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:31 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Could everyone please sign this e-petition on the British Gov. site. Who knows, it might just get some attention and could well benefit your own kids in the future: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Unfair-Uni-Fees/
We thought we wanted to stay in Oz for good, but are now looking to go home with our teen children and realise how you become a 2nd class citizen practically as soon as you step outside the EU. Please, please sign this, you don't have to live in the UK still to do so. Thanks & please pass it on.

If a British citizen has been living out of the country, they are required to pay 'overseas' fees in order to attend a British university if they have not been resident back in Britain for 3 years. This is regardless of the amount of tax they or their parents have paid over the years. Meanwhile, students from the EU are entitled to and English university education paying only 'home' rates. It is unfair and prevents British citizens returning with their children, whilst encouraging EU students. Surely we should be encouraging British citizens to return home with their British children..who have not had a say in where their parents lived but wish to study and work in Britain.
That's what happened to us, that's why I have been a 'prisoner' here for more years than I care to think about.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:36 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
That's what happened to us, that's why I have been a 'prisoner' here for more years than I care to think about.
State schools (primary and secondary) are still free right?
Old May 12th 2008, 3:50 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
State schools (primary and secondary) are still free right?
Yes, but what does that have to do with me?
Old May 12th 2008, 4:07 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Yes, but what does that have to do with me?
As we are not related, married or even simply just banging each other I have absolutely no idea?
Old May 12th 2008, 4:29 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
As we are not related, married or even simply just banging each other I have absolutely no idea?
Old May 12th 2008, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie

Ezzie, have signed it and past it on........it's a bit like the Pensions.....my husband and I worked for years in the U.K before we left 10 years ago......it's not right....it's not fair!!!!
Ezzie for MP?
Old May 12th 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK-OZ-UK -OZ HERE I COME AGAIN ! Back in Melbourne !!
McBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really nice

Consider it done !!
Old May 12th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you my darlings...don't worry, I have a daughter whose determined to go into politics...OK, she's just 13 on Wednesday, but she's already made a start. Did anyone see her brilliant article in the SMH on how Aussie teens can't be arsed to get involved with their communities! Yes, a controversial figure already! She wrote the article with her twin sister. So if we get back to the UK, get them into politics, I promise the first thing they'll do is fix the ruddy o/s pensions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.