The Plan

Old Jan 7th 2019, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Plan

I suppose I'm writing this so I can update on the way, and look back along the way, however, after long discussions with my husband over the weekend, the agreement is to move back over to Scotland at some stage. I can see the benefits of Brisbane and have enjoyed getting to know the area (and further afield), however for many reasons Scotland just feels more at home - I can't imagine living here forever (Australia) and just want to put proper roots back down in Scotland. I won't go into full (personal) reasons at the moment, perhaps later down the track, it all feels a bit raw I guess. Currently making a saving plan and keeping an eye on BREXIT (what will or won't happen) which may change things, but at the moment the plan is to move. Nothing will happen until at least the end of this year.

Not a decision we've taken lightly, at all, in fact the absolute opposite - many many many discussions over a course of a year (it's coming up for two years here now). Me ignoring how I was feeling and trying to smile, not complain, see the good in every situation and get on with it for the benefit of my husband who enjoys it here. I know how lucky we were to have the option to work and live in different countries, something millions would probably love but never achieve. The thing is, I can see the good here, there are lots of lovely things about the place, it's just not a place where I can see as good for us "forever". My husband has also said it's not a 'forever' place however he would have liked to have spent more time here (four to five years minimum). We did discuss the possibility of moving to another place, perhaps interstate however it would just feel like a sideways step, a stepping stone and why spend the savings moving somewhere else in Australia, rather than back to Scotland. Gosh, I'm getting all upset now. I wish I had felt differently. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Perhaps I came over with rose coloured glasses.

I hid my feelings as I guess I didn't want to come across as ungrateful (which I'm definitely not) and thinking only of myself. Time to think of what is best for our little family. A really hard decision, made with many PRO's and CON's lists made, scratched out and started again. Tears, smiles and repeat.

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this, perhaps a bit cathartic, please forgive my ramblings. I have read a few others stories on here and trying to feel positive. I understand how much of an upheaval it is. I know there are massive costs involved. I also ponder what is the price of happiness.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Plan

Originally Posted by Still Game
I suppose I'm writing this so I can update on the way, and look back along the way, however, after long discussions with my husband over the weekend, the agreement is to move back over to Scotland at some stage. I can see the benefits of Brisbane and have enjoyed getting to know the area (and further afield), however for many reasons Scotland just feels more at home - I can't imagine living here forever (Australia) and just want to put proper roots back down in Scotland. I won't go into full (personal) reasons at the moment, perhaps later down the track, it all feels a bit raw I guess. Currently making a saving plan and keeping an eye on BREXIT (what will or won't happen) which may change things, but at the moment the plan is to move. Nothing will happen until at least the end of this year.

Not a decision we've taken lightly, at all, in fact the absolute opposite - many many many discussions over a course of a year (it's coming up for two years here now). Me ignoring how I was feeling and trying to smile, not complain, see the good in every situation and get on with it for the benefit of my husband who enjoys it here. I know how lucky we were to have the option to work and live in different countries, something millions would probably love but never achieve. The thing is, I can see the good here, there are lots of lovely things about the place, it's just not a place where I can see as good for us "forever". My husband has also said it's not a 'forever' place however he would have liked to have spent more time here (four to five years minimum). We did discuss the possibility of moving to another place, perhaps interstate however it would just feel like a sideways step, a stepping stone and why spend the savings moving somewhere else in Australia, rather than back to Scotland. Gosh, I'm getting all upset now. I wish I had felt differently. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Perhaps I came over with rose coloured glasses.

I hid my feelings as I guess I didn't want to come across as ungrateful (which I'm definitely not) and thinking only of myself. Time to think of what is best for our little family. A really hard decision, made with many PRO's and CON's lists made, scratched out and started again. Tears, smiles and repeat.

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this, perhaps a bit cathartic, please forgive my ramblings. I have read a few others stories on here and trying to feel positive. I understand how much of an upheaval it is. I know there are massive costs involved. I also ponder what is the price of happiness.
Good on you for having the courage to write that down, it'll help to get it out and it'll be good to look back on when you're happily home in Scotland again.

How you're feeling is very common for expats, but that doesn't take anything away from the strength or 'realness' of those feelings. I think that you and your husband have been very sensible, you've had many discussions and given Australia enough time to feel like home if it's ever going to at this stage of your lives. You also haven't fallen into the trap of finding things to hate about Australia, it's surprising how many people do this in an attempt to feel better or more certain about their decision to return home. Unfortunately, such thoughtfulness and honesty can be temporarily confusing and mar the anticipation of going home.

You and your husband haven't made this decision on a whim, and now that you've made it I'd encourage you to get excited All any of us can do is make the best decisions we can at the time, and that's exactly what you've done. Good on you for getting to this stage! Never hesitate to have a chat about these things on BE, many of us have been in similar situations so can at least provide an empathic ear and some support.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

First I send you a 🤗 hug and secondly I feel the same way now and I have been here in the USA for 30 years. I have loved my life here and feel very fortunate to have met amazing people , traveled and worked for great companies.
We went back to England at least once a year and my Mum would also visit us . Going home this year was different and the reason was I did not want to come back to the US.
of course I had to, but all I kept thinking about was I want to be in England.
Hubby was not really keen but willing to do what ever made me Happy so here we are waiting for his spousal visa.
i quit my job we sold our house, sent the dog to England a head of us and now we are just waiting. Not sure what we will do if he is denied the visa.
its an emotional rollercoaster for sure.
You have made a great start and you have amazing people on this forum who can help when and if you need help .
Good luck
🍀

Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Good on you for having the courage to write that down, it'll help to get it out and it'll be good to look back on when you're happily home in Scotland again.

How you're feeling is very common for expats, but that doesn't take anything away from the strength or 'realness' of those feelings. I think that you and your husband have been very sensible, you've had many discussions and given Australia enough time to feel like home if it's ever going to at this stage of your lives. You also haven't fallen into the trap of finding things to hate about Australia, it's surprising how many people do this in an attempt to feel better or more certain about their decision to return home. Unfortunately, such thoughtfulness and honesty can be temporarily confusing and mar the anticipation of going home.

You and your husband haven't made this decision on a whim, and now that you've made it I'd encourage you to get excited All any of us can do is make the best decisions we can at the time, and that's exactly what you've done. Good on you for getting to this stage! Never hesitate to have a chat about these things on BE, many of us have been in similar situations so can at least provide an empathic ear and some support.
Thank you Spouse of Scouse. I had to think a few times whether I would start a thread. Really lovely words and you've hit the nail on the head - especially with the "You also haven't fallen into the trap of finding things to hate about Australia, it's surprising how many people do this in an attempt to feel better or more certain about their decision to return home. Unfortunately, such thoughtfulness and honesty can be temporarily confusing and mar the anticipation of going home" part. Absolutely spot on. I don't hate it here, there are so many wonderful special things about Australia and it's people, it's just not a forever home for me. It does make the decision harder however rather than really despising something. There's no ideal place as far as I know, need to borrow a bit from country A and a bit from country B and mash it together ;-)

Yes, a decision borne from many a conversation. Me trying to make it work - happy smiley face and trying to be involved as much as possible but all the while knowing deep down it's not somewhere I could stay forever. I guess I feel the longer you do stay somewhere perhaps the harder to leave.

I do need to think about our wee one. She turned four end last year so will be in Kindy here this month but obviously back in Scotland she would start school in August this year. Quite a difference. I suppose people move all the time. She would be going into P1 starting 6-7 months 'behind'. Anyone had experience with this? Anything I can do to help her transition? (we do numbers and letters at home and she's keen to learn 'science' apparently)

So much to think about.

Thanks again for your supportive positive words. They've helped a lot.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammy2018
First I send you a 🤗 hug and secondly I feel the same way now and I have been here in the USA for 30 years. I have loved my life here and feel very fortunate to have met amazing people , traveled and worked for great companies.
We went back to England at least once a year and my Mum would also visit us . Going home this year was different and the reason was I did not want to come back to the US.
of course I had to, but all I kept thinking about was I want to be in England.
Hubby was not really keen but willing to do what ever made me Happy so here we are waiting for his spousal visa.
i quit my job we sold our house, sent the dog to England a head of us and now we are just waiting. Not sure what we will do if he is denied the visa.
its an emotional rollercoaster for sure.
You have made a great start and you have amazing people on this forum who can help when and if you need help .
Good luck
🍀
Thank you Sammy. That's lovely your husband will do anything to make you happy, that must have made the decision so much easier. I really hope the visa is approved soon and you can get on and start your new chapter. You're right - such a roller-coaster!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Charlie12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a relief to hear we are not alone, after nearly 13 years being in the middle east and my wife going through cancer and lupus in the UAE we decided to move for a fresh start to another middle east country , soon after I personally realized that I hated the job I was doing and the healthcare that we needed here was not available . I got myself depressed feeling if I talked to my wife she would feel let down and I was unable to raise the subject of the constant homesickness and the wanting of changing profession , must be middle age crisis I thought lol .
Once the ice was broken after a few drinks one evening the wife confessed she had wanted to go home for years and we both felt a massive relief , so here we are planning to move back home Brexit or no Brexit , no job , empty house that has been rented out for 13 years and will need completely renovating , no car , wont have furniture for 6 weeks and 3 cats to transport home haha
I can honestly say we have never been happier and are so excited for the new start , the wife is in her element online window shopping for the redecorating and I only wish I had really really sat her down and asked what she wanted to do earlier.
All the best and I truly hope the move goes well for everyone on the thread .
Now im rambling once I started I could not stop haha
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Charlie12345
What a relief to hear we are not alone, after nearly 13 years being in the middle east and my wife going through cancer and lupus in the UAE we decided to move for a fresh start to another middle east country , soon after I personally realized that I hated the job I was doing and the healthcare that we needed here was not available . I got myself depressed feeling if I talked to my wife she would feel let down and I was unable to raise the subject of the constant homesickness and the wanting of changing profession , must be middle age crisis I thought lol .
Once the ice was broken after a few drinks one evening the wife confessed she had wanted to go home for years and we both felt a massive relief , so here we are planning to move back home Brexit or no Brexit , no job , empty house that has been rented out for 13 years and will need completely renovating , no car , wont have furniture for 6 weeks and 3 cats to transport home haha
I can honestly say we have never been happier and are so excited for the new start , the wife is in her element online window shopping for the redecorating and I only wish I had really really sat her down and asked what she wanted to do earlier.
Love the rambling and glad your wife came through treatment.
It’s exciting to start a new chapter in our lives.
Good luck 🍀
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

It's never an easy decision.

After 10 years in the USA with a young family, 4 kids under 8, and a seemingly great life......it's time for us to move back.

When we made the decision, it was a huge relief, but now I'm scared, impatient, anxious, a LOT has to happen in the next 6 months to facilitate the move and just want to be back "home".
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wilto

After 10 years in the USA with a young family, 4 kids under 8, and a seemingly great life......it's time for us to move back.

When we made the decision, it was a huge relief, but now I'm scared, impatient, anxious, a LOT has to happen in the next 6 months to facilitate the move and just want to be back "home".
Know the feeling one thing we did not anticipate was our house going under contract after 2 days on the market. We closed on 12/28/18
We are now just waiting for the visa decision and then it’s book a flight.

Old Jan 9th 2019, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wilto

It's a big move, huge! However, I saw someone write somewhere a really good point. If someone removed the option for you to return or either country how would you feel (I've not done the quote justice, will try to see if I can find the thread). If you would feel really devastated that you couldn't not 'return' how would that make you feel? The answer lies there!

Of course you're going to feel every emotion under the sun, we're all human on here (I think ) and moving countries is such a big thing physically, emotionally and spiritually (probably). As spouse of scouse put it earlier, it can also make things harder if you don't hate where you are. You question the whys and what ifs more I think rather than having a 'I NEED to get out of here pronto' plan. Write down what scares you, why are you anxious - what can you control? Look at the positives and remember the reasons you made to want to move, I'm sure they're still there.

Yes, there is lots to do, why wouldn't there be! Just make a master list against dates and tick things off as you go. You'll probably be surprised at how quickly the time disappears. Don't wish your time away, you'll probably be finding towards move date you wish you had a bit extra time to do x, y and z.

At the very least you know what? It's OK to be feeling every emotion and it's certainly OK to not feel you fit where you are in the world. You are not alone.

Everyone who feels this way (myself included) - let's keep supporting each other on this thread and keep the positivity up.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Know the feeling one thing we did not anticipate was our house going under contract after 2 days on the market. We closed on 12/28/18
We are now just waiting for the visa decision and then it’s book a flight.
Wow that's amazing! Well done. What a relief to have that sorted so quickly. Who do you think you'll fly with?
Old Jan 9th 2019, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charlie12345
Definitely not alone @Charlie12345. I am sorry to hear of your wife hope she is in the clear. It's funny how you held things in and yet your wife felt the same! You can't change the past so wishing you had sat down earlier is a negative thought best gotten rid of when it appears. Just imagine if you still hadn't broached the subject! Onwards and updwards. Holding things in, as I came to find, is hugely detrimental and mental health can take a massive shake.

You will be back before you know it and busy having fun redecorating your house to make it your home again. Have fun making it all about you and your wife! Don't worry about rambling - I seem to be the Queen of it ha! Ramble away and all the very best.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Wow that's amazing! Well done. What a relief to have that sorted so quickly. Who do you think you'll fly with?
We have no clue right now and not even sure what the options will be. As soon as the visa is in hand we will be booking a flight.
I would like non stop but not sure that will happen. One thing we are sure of is we will be seeing the family and our dog on the other side of the pond.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

We have no clue right now and not even sure what the options will be. As soon as the visa is in hand we will be booking a flight.
I would like non stop but not sure that will happen. One thing we are sure of is we will be seeing the family and our dog on the other side of the pond.
Hoping the visa appears soon for you.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Just as a continuation from my first post in this thread, I'm going to write the things I'm looking forward to seeing and doing again (or doing for the first time) back in Scotland.
  • Our daughter re-connecting with her Grandfather
  • Visiting Gullane and Yellowcraigs and walking along the beach. Being 'sunsafe' but not having to watch the harsh UV of 14
  • Going for weekend trips/holidays along the West Coast - visiting the Islands off Oban and further up
  • Going for a walk in the colder months. Feeling the cold but trying to get warm - not the other way around
  • Sparkly Christmas, rushing around all wrapped up in December shopping with a cold red nose. Popping into a coffee shop for a hot choc to warm up
  • Camping along the beach up past Strathpeffer with old friends. Not worrying about spiders and snakes
  • Long light summer nights
  • Re-visiting the stunning Perthshire countryside at season change. Maybe moving and living in Perthshire or East Lothian.
  • Visiting my all time favourite little shop Provender Brown
  • Going to Highland shows
  • Going to the Loch Fyne festival and dancing around to the band, definitely getting the steps wrong!
  • Taking a trip to Orkney and Shetland

Feel free to write yours down if you want

Last edited by Still Game; Jan 9th 2019 at 2:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.