Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 26th 2018, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm still of a mind to resettle in the UK . I'd like the proximity of friends family and easy hols in the UK and on the Continent.

Recently though we have toyed with the idea of becoming 'keyfree' for a bit and doing a little travelling here and there before resettling.

I simply cannot seeing me living out my adage here in New Zealand . It just doesn't suit me.

i hear you, we have no family in Canada, just us, no kids, no real friends...so keeping options open.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Don, sounds like a plan, will do. sorry to hear everything your daughter had to go through.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I love to think of this thread going on even when I am busy with life, and of being able to pop back on and find everyone still here! But of course if everyone gets busy with life,no-one will post....!!

Winters in the USA with Rv, wow interesting, but I guess you mean the southern parts, not the snow parts??!! As you say, shovelling snow in your 80s isn't a good idea. I have often wondered what RV-ing would be like...

"In 2 minds about returning to the Uk...." well, lots of people are, and it's understandable after many years away. I am so glad to be back though it's true the dark days in winter can get me down...I don't mind the cold that much because it doesn't last and it is rarely as bitterly cold as it was in pennsylvania (USA)!

yes i I mean down south away from the snow and minus 35c temps. I don’t mind if it’s in the 50’s as long as it’s not knee deep in snow lol. I think we will do that unless of course Trudeau gets in again in Canada, then we got real problems. I guess we will have to wait and see. I miss the English humour, the food, I don’t miss the traffic though.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748

yes i I mean down south away from the snow and minus 35c temps. I don’t mind if it’s in the 50’s as long as it’s not knee deep in snow lol. I think we will do that unless of course Trudeau gets in again in Canada, then we got real problems. I guess we will have to wait and see. I miss the English humour, the food, I don’t miss the traffic though.
Ah ok, yes, that totally makes sense.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Don . . . yesterday I saw a programme on TV of Brits being shown modern houses to buy in Thailand, they looked incredible for the money compared with the UK. Lovely scenery too, and prices for fruit and vegetables were low in a market.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

I think that Brits would need a Visa to live in Thailand. It would not be easy to buy property there surely?
Quite a few people here in Australia would like to live in Bali which is a popular holiday destination for us. But they do not allow foreigners to buy property & to reside there you must employ some locals, perhaps a maid & a gardner. That is Indonesia of course. Perhaps Thailand have different rules.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aries
Hello Don . . . yesterday I saw a programme on TV of Brits being shown modern houses to buy in Thailand, they looked incredible for the money compared with the UK. Lovely scenery too, and prices for fruit and vegetables were low in a market.
Hello Aries, You are correct - Having lived there for five years, with my Thai Wife, I can confirm, how reasonable it is to live there. I did have a house built there, by my Wife (She organised and supervised) but SHE owned the land. - I could own the property, but never own the land. - No problem - we gave it to her daughter, she sold it - and if and when we return, she will buy one for us.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by black swan
I think that Brits would need a Visa to live in Thailand. It would not be easy to buy property there surely?
Quite a few people here in Australia would like to live in Bali which is a popular holiday destination for us. But they do not allow foreigners to buy property & to reside there you must employ some locals, perhaps a maid & a gardner. That is Indonesia of course. Perhaps Thailand have different rules.
Hello Black Swan , Getting a visa, is fine - On initially landing, you automatically get a 30 day Visa. You can never own land. So you need , say a 30 year Lease, then build what you wish.. If you are , say older, then you can obtain a Non-O Retirement Visa - Renewable Annually. Do look-up Thailand Embassy website. Very straightforward....Will be doing that, should we return. Take Care, Don
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 10:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shelley748

i hear you, we have no family in Canada, just us, no kids, no real friends...so keeping options open.
Yes. It is hard to pinpoint sometimes I feel. Perhaps it is that despite our very best efforts and willingness , our roots here have not grown.

We do have pals here but again, that all depends on what is viewed as a friendship as opposed to an acquaintance or someone you know that is friendly.
My husband is a plumber/gasfitter and so many people here like to be our friend.

I feel as if I retired to an aged community early. It's all veg gardens , knitting and rather staid past-times. For me it is all very dull.

I've done my aged time. I'd like to live a life for a bit whilst I still can.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. It is hard to pinpoint sometimes I feel. Perhaps it is that despite our very best efforts and willingness , our roots here have not grown.

We do have pals here but again, that all depends on what is viewed as a friendship as opposed to an acquaintance or someone you know that is friendly.
My husband is a plumber/gasfitter and so many people here like to be our friend.

I feel as if I retired to an aged community early. It's all veg gardens , knitting and rather staid past-times. For me it is all very dull.

That's tricky, BEVS. In adult life real friends get harder and harder to make, as well...it does sound staid, where you are....yet the upheaval of a move is also a deterrent, I am sure.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes we have "acquaintances" but no REAL friends. I often feel that I belong in the middle of the atlantic ocean, neither a UK person nor Canadian. I went back to see my Dad in May which was nice. My main observation was the sheer volume of traffic and how long it now takes to get anywhere in the UK. Hubby and I will keep an open mind and see what pans out I think.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Urban UK is misery. Every time I go to Glasgow or Edinburgh I vow NEVER AGAIN !
Old Sep 29th 2018, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

We are wanting to move down to SW Dorset or Devon to get more peace and quiet but cannot sell house. Monday will be giving agents notice to pull the listing for the winter!
Old Oct 1st 2018, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
We are wanting to move down to SW Dorset or Devon to get more peace and quiet but cannot sell house. Monday will be giving agents notice to pull the listing for the winter!
Oh no, how disappointing
Old Oct 8th 2018, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Perhaps a different agent will be more successful. My neighbour has been trying to sell his flat for 6 months, but he’s optmistically and greedily asking £30,000 more than he paid last year, and there are a lot of properties for sale in Torbay. He’s already bought another flat in the area to live in, so although his patience is being pushed, he can afford to wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.