Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 20th 2015, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Well tonight the UK TV is full of the harsh cold snow storms in New England and all over the east coast, they said 6 feet of snow and they showed everything frozen, they then showed Niagara Falls Frozen, theres still some water falling, but most of the falls have frozen solid in motion, WOW remarkable, trotty and everyone else who live in these areas please be extra careful, and stay warm and safe!!!
Old Feb 20th 2015, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this link works - I Googled US snow storm 2015: What Record-Breaking Snow Really Looks Like - The Atlantic
Old Feb 21st 2015, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwoman120..those picture say it all, all we can do is move the snow around this morning we have a flood in the basement we called a plumber he put a camera in the wall and said the leak was coming all the way from the roof. Problem is the ice dams are allowing the snow to back up on the roof and the heating exhaust pipe is allowing the snow to melt around it and the seal must have broke as it is letting the water in. Now we have to get the snow removed of the main roof, but to do that we have to snow blow a trench all the way to the back of the house. What a mess....
I cannot count how many people have fallen off roofs or been run over by cars or snow plows unable to see them due to all the snow....
Old Feb 21st 2015, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Islandwoman120..those picture say it all, all we can do is move the snow around this morning we have a flood in the basement we called a plumber he put a camera in the wall and said the leak was coming all the way from the roof. Problem is the ice dams are allowing the snow to back up on the roof and the heating exhaust pipe is allowing the snow to melt around it and the seal must have broke as it is letting the water in. Now we have to get the snow removed of the main roof, but to do that we have to snow blow a trench all the way to the back of the house. What a mess....
I cannot count how many people have fallen off roofs or been run over by cars or snow plows unable to see them due to all the snow
I remember a guy who lived down the street from us in Canada going out to clear snow off his roof a few years ago. He thought it might be a good idea to tie a rope around his waist for safety's sake and tie the other end to the rear bumper of his van as he was going to be clearing the roof on the far side of the peak. Too bad he didn't think to tell his wife because a short while later she jumped in the van and drove off, pulling him up over the rooftop, down the drive and several yards down the street before she heard his screams. Surprisingly they both survived the ordeal.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I remember a guy who lived down the street from us in Canada going out to clear snow off his roof a few years ago. He thought it might be a good idea to tie a rope around his waist for safety's sake and tie the other end to the rear bumper of his van as he was going to be clearing the roof on the far side of the peak. Too bad he didn't think to tell his wife because a short while later she jumped in the van and drove off, pulling him up over the rooftop, down the drive and several yards down the street before she heard his screams. Surprisingly they both survived the ordeal.
Thanks Curly, I love stories like that. lol
Old Feb 21st 2015, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Great story.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Curleytops is this a true story? did it really happen? WOW its funny when you read it ----- but I doubt very much that HE could see the funny side
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Curleytops is this a true story? did it really happen? WOW its funny when you read it ----- but I doubt very much that HE could see the funny side
Yes Rodney, it is indeed a true story. Dad tells me this afternoon that he heard of a similar thing happening to somebody else living on the outskirts of town. I have to wonder about some of these people
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Curleytops...that really made me laugh and even now it puts a smile on my face people do such silly things.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So this member is in Sunny Northern California visiting my 95 year old MIL.

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So this member is in Sunny Northern California visiting my 95 year old MIL.

Cheers
This member is in Devon avoiding the raindrops....
Old Feb 27th 2015, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
This member is in Devon avoiding the raindrops....
This member enjoyed the day out in the lovely sunshine with my lovely 95 y.o.
Mum, and a nice lunch
Old Feb 27th 2015, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

This member was looking for a contractor to come and give an estimate on the leaks caused by all the snow on the roof which melted around the chimney came through the bathroom ceiling down into the living room and dining room walls ending up in the basement and we are expecting more snow next week....
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Rodney, it is indeed a true story. Dad tells me this afternoon that he heard of a similar thing happening to somebody else living on the outskirts of town. I have to wonder about some of these people
Urban myth. Sorry.

A quick google shows similar tales, snow or not snow, from different places in the world.

The "man on the roof" tale has been a popular urban legend since at least the mid-1960s.

It even made a TV show in 1976.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 1:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
This member was looking for a contractor to come and give an estimate on the leaks caused by all the snow on the roof which melted around the chimney came through the bathroom ceiling down into the living room and dining room walls ending up in the basement and we are expecting more snow next week....
Sympathy. We have a couple of spots where water drips through but it seems to be just where a bit of ice backs up and melts. Happens in winter, not every time and then not at all after. Not even from torrential rain.

Nothing happens where the worst dam is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.