Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 29th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I did attempt to fight the ticket for being in the bus lane but to no avail.
The fine was taken out of my American Express credit card account via Hertz.
There was no appeal allowed.
I don't even remember being in a bus lane. Well maybe once, and I did check to
See if anyone was looking. Sign said "do not enter, buses only"
I agree with the public outrage. The the amount of the penalty was outrageous
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Glasgow introduced automatic bus lane cameras about two years back and have made an absolute fortune in tickets. many of the bus lanes have deceptive days and times (and some are "24-7" bus lanes, so you can get a ticket even at 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning).

I got three tickets totalling £180 at 7 a.m. one Sunday morning, taking some guests from the airport to their hotel.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the whole concept of bus lanes and car pool lanes, it seems so negative to me, after all we are all trying to get somewhere, in this case we are all going the same direction.

We pay taxes to run a car and pay taxes to support the bus service, I see no reason for buses and people in car pool lanes to have an advantage.

I've seen roads blocked with cars while bus lanes are empty and there isn't a bus anywhere in sight, the same goes for car pool lanes, you've got three lanes of traffic, two are heavy and slow while the car pool lane is empty, it annoys me that I would get fined for driving in the car pool lane, in my opinion its laws like this that causes us to have more pollution and road rage.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Am I missing something? The sign said "do not enter, buses only", so you blatantly ignored the sign and drove in the lane anyway. Then you wonder why a) you get fined and b) you can't appeal.
Surely the sign was in clear enough English? i can't see on what grounds you can claim you shouldn't have been fined!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I hate the whole concept of bus lanes and car pool lanes, it seems so negative to me, after all we are all trying to get somewhere, in this case we are all going the same direction.

We pay taxes to run a car and pay taxes to support the bus service, I see no reason for buses and people in car pool lanes to have an advantage.

I've seen roads blocked with cars while bus lanes are empty and there isn't a bus anywhere in sight, the same goes for car pool lanes, you've got three lanes of traffic, two are heavy and slow while the car pool lane is empty, it annoys me that I would get fined for driving in the car pool lane, in my opinion its laws like this that causes us to have more pollution and road rage.
To my mind the point of bus lanes is largely to keep buses running on time. Those of us who have to rely on public transport like to know that when a bus is supposed to turn up at a certain time, it does so. By removing cars from bus lanes there us a far better chance of timely arrival for buses.

I don't agree with car pool lanes though, can't see the point of those.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To my mind the point of bus lanes is largely to keep buses running on time. Those of us who have to rely on public transport like to know that when a bus is supposed to turn up at a certain time, it does so. By removing cars from bus lanes there us a far better chance of timely arrival for buses.

I don't agree with car pool lanes though, can't see the point of those.
I use HOV (carpool lanes) all the time when I'm in LA and I do it legally
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Am I missing something? The sign said "do not enter, buses only", so you blatantly ignored the sign and drove in the lane anyway. Then you wonder why a) you get fined and b) you can't appeal.
Surely the sign was in clear enough English? i can't see on what grounds you can claim you shouldn't have been fined!
I do! I was a tourist!
I saw the sign when it was too late to correct my travel.
I can't complain because the police by Zion's National Park were collecting fines on the spot from foreign tourists until someone complained. Collecting on the spot was illegal and not all of the money was turned into the authorities by the police officers.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

The way it has been told to me, to reduce congestion and pollution in busier localities, bus lanes allow buses to be a more expeditious means of travel and encourages people to leave cars at home.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
The way it has been told to me, to reduce congestion and pollution in busier localities, bus lanes allow buses to be a more expeditious means of travel and encourages people to leave cars at home.
That's the way I see it too. It would be impossible for buses to stick to schedule if they didn't have bus lanes that are guaranteeed to be free at certain times (rush hour).

The peeves I have are that here in Glasgow at least, the bus lanes are often very poorly marked and signposted, the restricted hours are VERY variable, and many are completely 24-7, with no obvious reason why. As Cheers pointed out, it also is often difficult to avoid entering, or being in, a bus lane after you realise your mistake. One of the three tickets I got, I immediately realised I was in a bus lane but coudn't turn back (one way street), or turn off. I was doomed!

The Glasgow bus lanes made over £1m for Glasgow Councl within a month, and have been the cause of a lot of ill-feeling among law-abiding drivers who wouldn't normally or deliberately drive in restricted zones.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pollyana;11352136]To my mind the point of bus lanes is largely to keep buses running on time. Those of us who have to rely on public transport like to know that when a bus is supposed to turn up at a certain time, it does so. By removing cars from bus lanes there us a far better chance of timely arrival for buses.

I can totally understand that, but most of have places to be on time, so time is important to us all, it just seems terrible that bus lanes are empty while we sit and wait in a traffic jam unable to use that lane.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If your parking ticket wasn't issued by the council, then they have no legal right to demand money; many of these tickets are worded quite deceptively with officious language. There is absolutely no need to pay and do read up on these links here as it's been in the news in the past couple of days.
That's changed and the advise now is not to ignore them. You can still win, but you just can't ignore them anymore. I know this as I got one a few months ago.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I spent the last week in Somerset, taking my camera with me. I visited Frome, Bath, Wells and Glastonbury. Here are the first photos - more to follow in a day or so.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7645966151344/
Hi I'm new to this, yesterday been my first day ,people have been great at responding to my questions and very encouraging.

your name keeps coming up as some one to check out .as I guess you did what I'm thinking of doing . moving back to England alone at age 55 after 34 years of living in Canada.

I come from Hull but don't really want to live there , people are telling me south , south east for weather etc, but I don't know anything really about that area , plus I understand its very expensive to live , thus I would probably have to stay in Hull until I can get a job , meet people net work etc .How did you find you're transition ? Any insight you can share would be helpful
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I spent the last week in Somerset, taking my camera with me. I visited Frome, Bath, Wells and Glastonbury. Here are the first photos - more to follow in a day or so.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7645966151344/
Just looked at you're photos ,they are spectacular those make me want to go home )
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH

Its OK, I totally understand, I just dont agree with it, I have my own Biz and cant leave my vehicle car at home, I know many people arent in my situation, but still I see empty lanes and cars, vans and trucks backed up in traffic causing even more pollution, at least in the UK you have stop start technology, that hasnt happned here yet, we are always years behind...
Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Its OK, I totally understand, I just dont agree with it, I have my own Biz and cant leave my vehicle car at home, I know many people arent in my situation, but still I see empty lanes and cars, vans and trucks backed up in traffic causing even more pollution, at least in the UK you have stop start technology, that hasnt happned here yet, we are always years behind...
Hi Fish,
Just wondered whats stop start technology?
About the bus lanes in the UK and cameras to catch every car they can and fine them, well my take on them is this ----- I havent drove on the roads here yet, but soon will!!! but I have been observing cars here in my town that are driving along the main roads and all of a sudden you see the painted white bus lanes, there are no pre warning signs, your just right in the bus lane ---- maybe just a few seconds while your trying to get out of it cause of all the traffic behind you that wont let you out, but anyway its too late cause the bandit camera has taken your picture, and the computer is already processing your hefty fine ticket to be mailed to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.