Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by feelbritish
When I saw the "Perth" I thought it was you but not quite sure Would it not be great if we both arrive around the same time? We are looking at Devon now and there are some nice rentals (bungalows) 2 bed for around £600 and although we want to buy in order to feel settled we will probably rent somewhere there in a central position to explore the county, that and NW Somerset around Minehead and N Cornwall too! I am spending far too much time on Rightmove now again. We have not had one phone call for a viewing yet May be a long wait again. I am also thinking of working part time until I get to 66 and can start claiming my British OAP! Mainly to satisfy my visa requirements if I go that route and also for extra spending money for travelling around UK exploring those wonderful places in our caravan! Mind you if we get there in early summer we may just buy a caravan and camp for a few months! OH is still not really happy about going, but is resigned to it!
Ah yes that would be lovely. We will have to find a mid-point between us to meet.

A caravan would be so much fun and a great way to explore possible places to settle. Devon is lovely. Lots of places to choose from.

I have to wait until 66 to get my pension too - 9 more years - although who knows if I will work that long.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestergirl
Hi to all my old friends on here, ( I was Charleygirl) its been 6 months since I was here on expats! Amazing where has the time gone.. I am now back in the UK, very happy, renting a wonderful little house and loving life.. but as always miss my children dreadfully, not sure that will ever end . But i was back there in Sept and Feb and they have all visited me.
So good to see Jasper, Fish, Between two worlds ( that kind of fits me) and Cheers and some old names here, not looked back through the thread yet.. but will do over the next couple days, to see how everyone is.
It is a year ago yesterday I moved back here again after trying to live back there in the USA for 6 months. Everything is going well and I hope everyone here is managing to get closer to their dream!
Nice to see you here again! Happy that you went back. Followed your story from the beginning. Must say, you must have a lot of energy Wishing all the very best.
~Monique
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Lestergirl will become famous soon enoughLestergirl will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the well wishes, yes been a real roller coaster ride lol, but I am here to stay.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestergirl
Hi to all my old friends on here, ( I was Charleygirl) its been 6 months since I was here on expats! Amazing where has the time gone.. I am now back in the UK, very happy, renting a wonderful little house and loving life.. but as always miss my children dreadfully, not sure that will ever end . But i was back there in Sept and Feb and they have all visited me.
So good to see Jasper, Fish, Between two worlds ( that kind of fits me) and Cheers and some old names here, not looked back through the thread yet.. but will do over the next couple days, to see how everyone is.
It is a year ago yesterday I moved back here again after trying to live back there in the USA for 6 months. Everything is going well and I hope everyone here is managing to get closer to their dream!
Hi Lestergirl, I missed you so happy that you have been able to settle in the UK THIS TIME AROUND, you will always miss your kids but you seem to be able to go back for frequent visits so thats good and you have the best of both worlds,
Have you found a Job that you are happy with?
Nice to know that you found a nice house that you like!!! and where have you settled? what part of the country?
Take care and good for you!!!
Rodney.
PS looks like sometimes things in the end can work out pretty nicely for some of us who don't let go of there special dream.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I am a newcomer to the area and I am still discovering Northumberland. What an undiscovered gem it is. Love France too, but haven't managed a trip since being back in the UK. Too busy enjoying the rural life after the concrete jungle of Calgary. Best of luck with your relocation.
How is the train extension coming along?

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Is it Charleygirl who got a job right away and lived with two guys and had to move out or is that someone else?

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jun 8th 2015 at 6:44 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:57 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
How is the train extension coming along?

Cheers
All set to open in September this year. I think Berwick will still be my best option for train travel, but I plan to take a trip from Tweedbank at some point.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:58 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Is it Charleygirl who got a job right away and lived with two guys and had to move out or is that someone else?

Cheers
I think you might be thinking of Whofan.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Windsong is moving to the UK in the middle of next month.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

usbrit2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

So with Windsong, does that make 4 of us on this thread who are moving back. My travel date is July 19, BOSTON-REYKJAVIK-GATWICK... Getting close now, and I've got a few more things in place over there to make the move somewhat easier, phew!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

This seems like a good fare.
Paris to California.
Price is in Euros.

Flights to Oakland - San Francisco from Paris-Orly - Book cheap flights to Oakland - San Francisco - Norwegian.com
Old Jun 11th 2015, 9:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usbrit2015
So with Windsong, does that make 4 of us on this thread who are moving back. My travel date is July 19, BOSTON-REYKJAVIK-GATWICK... Getting close now, and I've got a few more things in place over there to make the move somewhat easier, phew!
I've just booked our flight for July 3rd arriving the 4th, I think July 4th is an appropriate date to flee North America, don't you?

I had to leave it so late booking because I only got medical clearance to fly this morning (after a detached retina). Pity really, I was looking forward to a Cunard crossing.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 3:31 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've just booked our flight for July 3rd arriving the 4th, I think July 4th is an appropriate date to flee North America, don't you?

I had to leave it so late booking because I only got medical clearance to fly this morning (after a detached retina). Pity really, I was looking forward to a Cunard crossing.
Sorry to hear about your detached retina. It is too bad that you are missing the Cunard crossing. We came home that way and I loved every minute of it and we even had a celeb on board - "Pudsey" the dog. Not to mention, two other BE posters. The price was about the same as flying, which was pretty good as we ate rather well for seven days, but as OH keeps reminding me, it didn't include the bar bill!!!
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Sorry to hear about your detached retina. It is too bad that you are missing the Cunard crossing. We came home that way and I loved every minute of it and we even had a celeb on board - "Pudsey" the dog. Not to mention, two other BE posters. The price was about the same as flying, which was pretty good as we ate rather well for seven days, but as OH keeps reminding me, it didn't include the bar bill!!!:lol:
This thought occurred to me as well.

Because, perhaps, of the short notice, it's worked out cheaper (and quicker) to fly Toronto - Edinburgh then rent a car from Hertz dropping it off same day at Newcastle airport.

We'll beat the YYZ-AMS_NCL on KLM by several hours and save several hundred dollars.

BTW are you going to the Melrose Music Festival tomorrow? I hear (from my sister) that it's a lot of fun.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Had an offer on our house last night and it was insultingly low so we declined. Not going to be as easy as I thought to up sticks and move back!! OH is relieved I think because he wants to be here longer. Feeling a tad despondent now! I could be here for months if not years more! No good trading a good standard lifestyle and home for less than what we have here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.